Pirates resign Yoshi

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by SCBucco »

Yoshi makes Josh Bell look like a Gold Glove candidate at 1st. He is terrible defensively and now he is our starting 1B man because Moran, who could make 4 million is making too much?

People are captivated by him over a small sample size. 125 at bats and hit .267 or something like that. I know, 8 homers and is likable.

This is why we as an organization are mired with this type of mediocrity. Are we a better team now that Yoshi is back in the fold and Q might be in the rotation? Nope. Neither move the needle as far as making it to being somewhat competitive.
GreenWeenie

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by GreenWeenie »

7F293F2B243E2E25283F0D2A202C2421632E4D0 wrote: I would agree that Moran is not long for the team. [highlight]I suspect they will use the DH slot mainly as a place to give a starter a day off[/highlight] without losing the bat from the lineup, rather than having Yoshi there full time.

I don't believe for a minute that Nutting will pay for a legitimate DH because of the expense.  The fourth outfielder or a reserve corner infielder will serve in that capacity, putting the club further behind its competition.

As a public service, edited for higher accuracy., succinctness, and a little gentle huimor....

I don't believe for a minute that Nutting will pay for a legitimate anything because of the expense, putting the club further behind its competition.

SammyKhalifa

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Is he what we saw, or what the Rays and Dodgers saw? Well, for the price it's worth it to get him to see. I wanted to go get him but there's still the worry that we would be stuck with a dud with a big multiyear deal.
GreenWeenie

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by GreenWeenie »

I don't think that we'll ever be stuck with a big, multi-year deal.
SyrBucco

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by SyrBucco »

The Pirates make lots of moves that I don't like, but I like this signing. I think that Moran's future should rest upon whether or not we have a NL DH this season. I think Moran and Chavis should platoon at 1B, and Tsutsugo, who has less pronounced splits, should be our DH.

This could be our lineup vs. RHSP next season:

Gamel+, RF

Hayes, 3B

Reynolds*, CF

Tsutsugo+, DH

Alford, LF

Moran+, 1B

Stallings, C

Tucker*, 2B

Newman, SS

Bench:

Chavis, 1B, 2B, 3B

Castillo, 2B, SS

Swaggerty+, OF

Backup Catcher

Room for a Cruz!

I would love to see Oneil Cruz crash the party. Reverse the Adam Frazier-Tucupita Marcano deal and we have a good leadoff hitter. Really, call the Padres!
UtahPirate

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by UtahPirate »

Frazier to Seattle.

Their welcome meme was a picture of Adam with "Frazier" in the old show's font above an outline of the Seattle skyline, also like the old show.

Loved Frazier the TV show.

I have to wonder what Seattle was offering for him at the deadline as they have shown they really wanted him.

I will still say the M's will sign Tyler Anderson as well.

ChillinStation

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by ChillinStation »

Still need to at least replace Gamel, Tucker, Newman and Alford.
fjk090852-7

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by fjk090852-7 »

So far the resigning of Yoshi has not looked good. It is too early to give up on him, but if he continues to struggle through May and early June the Pirates may have to release him, and purchase the contract of Mason Martin. Martin has been very good so far at AAA, and it just might end up that the Bucs dodged a bullet whenever it was agreed there would not be a Rule 5 Draft this past offseason since he was not on the 40 man roster.
Bobster21

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by Bobster21 »

464A4B1019101815120D17200 wrote: So far the resigning of Yoshi has not looked good. It is too early to give up on him, but if he continues to struggle through May and early June the Pirates may have to release him, and purchase the contract of Mason Martin. Martin has been very good so far at AAA, and it just might end up that the Bucs dodged a bullet whenever it was agreed there would not be a Rule 5 Draft this past offseason since he was not on the 40 man roster.
At 4 mil, he's the 3rd highest paid player on the roster. There is no way they would release him.
MaineBucs

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by MaineBucs »

In watching Yoshi bat its almost like he has given up on trying to pull the ball and to hit for power. It almost seems like he has conceded hitting for power and tries to go the other way to beat the shift that most teams use when he bats.

To date, Yoshi has been a disappoint after last year's power surge when the Bucs picked him up. Signing him to a $4 mil one year deal was a reasonable short-term investment, but to date, he does not look like the guy who finished last year with the Bucs.