Game Thread - 5/20 - Bucs vs Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: The broadcast has the annoying practice of putting odds on everything in the lower RH corner of the screen.

Arenado hit probability 6%.

Yepez GIDP prob 27%. After 3 pitches now 23%. After 4 pitches 19%. Now 12%.

Those are just a helpful aid to two viewers (I can't imagine more than that care). I've always wondered about the odds of what might happen but can't calculate it in my head.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Mr. Super Innovative Shelton costing the Pirates again. Thompson not allowed to continue after 5 IP, 80 pitches and only 1 run (because Shelton's infield didn't know how to execute a rundown). BP takes over in the 6th. Hembree gives up a 1-out walk and single. Mr. Innovation realizes maybe substituting Hembree for Thompson was a mistake and goes to Banda. Banda gives up a walk and 3 singles.

Oscar "Martin," per PBP gal Melanie Newman, visits Banda. He probably tells him that Edman has an 11% hit probability. Now 20%.

Now losing 5-0 still in the 6th, Mr. Innovation now realizes that maybe using Banda wasn't his best idea of the night and brings in De Jong. But Mr. I. will sleep well tonight knowing he got Thompson plenty of rest after the 5th inning. And, after all, baseball is about rest. All about rest. Nothing but rest matters in baseball.

Meanwhile, Melanie is approaching Joe Block's record for most words in an inning.

Pujols has a 40% prob of reaching base against De Jong.

With Thompson holding St.L. to 1 run thru 5 innings, Shelton had a 95% probability of turning it into a lopsided loss.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Reynolds has a 61% prob of reaching base. He defies the odds and bounces out to the pitcher. Whodda thunk?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Wainwright being forced by his manager to pitch at least 6 innings tonight. He must be exhausted. Must be a violation of some labor law. Human beings can only take so much.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Suwinski has a routine fly ball clank off the heel of his glove. I wonder what the probability of that was.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Words just keep spewing from Melanie's mouth. She's out of control. ;D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Arenado's reach base prob is 37%. I had calculated it at 39%. I wonder what I did wrong. ;)
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

5A777A6B6C7D6A2A29180 wrote: Wainwright being forced by his manager to pitch at least 6 innings tonight. He must be exhausted. Must be a violation of some labor law. Human beings can only take so much.
Wainright did what he does best- Shuts Out the Pirates
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Chavis HR! 5-1.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Wainwright forced to go 7 by an uncaring manager.