A Reynolds Trade

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

A Reynolds Trade

Post by Bobster21 »

675245454E7745454E4945200 wrote: Has there been one report of any "attitude" issue with Reynolds?  I've read none.

Not that Reynolds is any Mike Trout, but I doubt many Angels fans said that Trout had attitude problems that caused his recent slump.

Unless someone shows me something credible to go on, I'll disregard any "attitude" blaming.
Yeah, we tend to look for easy answers and quick solutions. Baseball is a tough sport and slumps happen. Even poor seasons happen. But if that means the player simply has a bad attitude that needs to be corrected in order for him to hit well, then there are a lot of bad attitudes in MLB this year including Juan Soto, Justin Turner, Andrew McCutchen, Alex Bregman, Cody Bellinger, Kyle Schwarber, Anthony Rizzo, Javier Baez and many, many more.

If there is a mental component to slumps, it's usually that a player begins to press, actually trying too hard to get out of it and sometimes getting away from what had previously worked. I recall Hurdle occasionally benching a slumping player for a 3-game series just to let them relax. I would try that with Reynolds and also move him down in the lineup to ease the pressure of feeling he has to immediately turn it around and hit like a top of the order guy is expected. If anything, I suspect Reynolds is trying too hard right now; not exhibiting a "bad attitude."
skinnyhorse

A Reynolds Trade

Post by skinnyhorse »

604D40515647501013220 wrote: Has there been one report of any "attitude" issue with Reynolds?  I've read none.

Not that Reynolds is any Mike Trout, but I doubt many Angels fans said that Trout had attitude problems that caused his recent slump.

Unless someone shows me something credible to go on, I'll disregard any "attitude" blaming.
Yeah, we tend to look for easy answers and quick solutions. Baseball is a tough sport and slumps happen. Even poor seasons happen. But if that means the player simply has a bad attitude that needs to be corrected in order for him to hit well, then there are a lot of bad attitudes in MLB this year including Juan Soto, Justin Turner, Andrew McCutchen, Alex Bregman, Cody Bellinger, Kyle Schwarber, Anthony Rizzo, Javier Baez and many, many more.

If there is a mental component to slumps, it's usually that a player begins to press, actually trying too hard to get out of it and sometimes getting away from what had previously worked. I recall Hurdle occasionally benching a slumping player for a 3-game series just to let them relax. I would try that with Reynolds and also move him down in the lineup to ease the pressure of feeling he has to immediately turn it around and hit like a top of the order guy is expected. If anything, I suspect Reynolds is trying too hard right now; not exhibiting a "bad attitude."   
Maybe a bad choice of words, I should have used get his head screwed on straight. The jest of my comment is there's nothing physically wrong with the guy. I just want to see him do whatever it takes to extract himself from this slump. If he can't fix it then he's hurting this team and needs to be benched not for a game or two but for an extended time. He's not hitting .284 like Trout he's hitting .220 with 14 RBI's, that's a disaster for a team that gave him a substantial pay raise and his response is tanking his team. Maybe he should quite trying to hit home runs but just trying to make hard contact.
MaineBucs

A Reynolds Trade

Post by MaineBucs »

While I am concerned about Reynolds' underperformance this year, I would not look to move him. He still offers the best likelihood of having an all-around player on the team. The jury is still out on the Pirate players, but Reynolds, Cruz, and Suwinski appear to offer realistic hopes for 25 - 30 HR power. And if Davis can find a way to stay on the field, a good major league line-up could be within sight.

So, give him a mental break, move him down in the order, but don't rush to make him a Yankee, Dodger, or Padre.

GreenWeenie

A Reynolds Trade

Post by GreenWeenie »

Maine is right.

We should be in a rush to make other guys Pirates, not the other way around.
WildwoodDave2

A Reynolds Trade

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Reynolds has upped his average to .249 as of 6-13-22.
fjk090852-7

A Reynolds Trade

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am not in favor of trading Reynolds, but I am beginning to wonder if it might be time to package a couple prospects for a pitcher who has some years of control remaining. The Pirates appear to have many middle infielders and several young outfielders. Let’s suppose they move Castro, Swaggerty and a lower minor league pitcher for a pitcher a team wants to move because his years of control are winding down. It is a risk because the player the Pirates are getting may only have a year remaining on a contract. I guess I would rather make that type of trade then lose some of our prospects due to a roster crunch this coming offseason. Again I am not proposing to trade players who are high end prospects such as Davis, or Gonzales, but I am beginning to think if the Bucs do not trade some of their lower end prospects we will lose them as a waiver claim and get nothing in return.
GreenWeenie

A Reynolds Trade

Post by GreenWeenie »

Bryse Wilson
fjk090852-7

A Reynolds Trade

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I was thinking along the lines of the Zane Smith trade the Pirates made in 1990. After acquiring him they signed him to a contract to control him for a few more years. For the Pirates to be a playoff contender which we all want, they will need to solidify their starting pitching, and by trading some prospects that may get them a veteran pitcher to go along with guys like Priester, Burrows and others.
GreenWeenie

A Reynolds Trade

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm all for dealing suspects. I want proven commodities in return.

Smith was 100 years ago. Ancient Chinese history.

I'm in the minority. Spinning wheels is something others enjoy a lot more than I do.
Bobster21

A Reynolds Trade

Post by Bobster21 »

272B2A7178717974736C76410 wrote: I was thinking along the lines of the Zane Smith trade the Pirates made in 1990. After acquiring him they signed him to a contract to control him for a few more years. For the Pirates to be a playoff contender which we all want, they will need to solidify their starting pitching, and by trading some prospects that may get them a veteran pitcher to go along with guys like Priester, Burrows and others.
Players have to want to sign with the Pirates. They were legit post season contenders when they acquired Zane Smith. He knew he had a legit chance of a WS with them. It's totally different now. If the Pirates traded prospects for a veteran pitcher with 1 year of control, why would he choose to remain with them if he was sought after by better teams?