Connor Joe

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Connor Joe

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

104650444B51414A475062454F434B4E0C41220 wrote: He was drafted by the Pirates about eight years ago or so, I think at the end of the first round or in the second round.  He’s been playing with the Rockies for the past couple of years.  He’s nothing special but could end up being a contributing role player.
Do we still have Ben G?
WildwoodDave2

Connor Joe

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

447A7F77647C7C775772657621130 wrote: He was drafted by the Pirates about eight years ago or so, I think at the end of the first round or in the second round.  He’s been playing with the Rockies for the past couple of years.  He’s nothing special but could end up being a contributing role player.
Do we still have Ben G?
As long as Conner isn't another VanMeter!!
Bobster21

Connor Joe

Post by Bobster21 »

457B7E76657D7D765673647720120 wrote: He was drafted by the Pirates about eight years ago or so, I think at the end of the first round or in the second round.  He’s been playing with the Rockies for the past couple of years.  He’s nothing special but could end up being a contributing role player.
Do we still have Ben G?
Gamel's contract is up so he's a free agent. So he's not on the 40 man roster but he hasn't signed with anyone yet. I doubt he'll be back with the Pirates.
WildwoodDave2

Connor Joe

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

745954454253440407360 wrote: He was drafted by the Pirates about eight years ago or so, I think at the end of the first round or in the second round.  He’s been playing with the Rockies for the past couple of years.  He’s nothing special but could end up being a contributing role player.
Do we still have Ben G?
Gamel's contract is up so he's a free agent. So he's not on the 40 man roster but he hasn't signed with anyone yet. I doubt he'll be back with the Pirates.
I liked the guy but he would interfere with the development of the

younger players
Javy

Connor Joe

Post by Javy »

I liked Gamel as well, but agree that he would have cut into the development of younger players.

That said, adding players like Joe, Hedges, Choi, Santana and Velade won't?

i can see the addition of Santana for his experience and leadership, despite his offensive prowess dropping off of a cliff the last 4-5 years (2019 in Cleveland being the outlier).

Choi doesn't seem to offer much on either side of the ball, Joe and Velade are nearly as unproven as the 'youngsters' and will likely get their share of playing time, thus blocking any prospect who may break out (Swaggerty, Mitchell?)

Hedges, while a very good defensive catcher, is about as automatic an out in the batting order as any pitcher, so why not allow Heinemann to tutor Endy? Or pursue someone like Tucker Barnhardt to mentor him? Gary Sanchez could of been had if they wanted more offense (and although he has struggled in recent years and is a lousy defender, he is still better overall than Hedges).

They needed starting pitching depth - Drew Smyly? Mike Minor? Michael Lorenzen? they were all available when Velasquez was signed. Volatile Vince is scary (Watched him for several years in Philly)

Just think that BC could have done better with his resources. Maybe I'll be wrong and they'll work out, but I don't see clear playing time for prospects to get much needed experience, especially given Sheltons lineup tendencies.

Ecbucs

Connor Joe

Post by Ecbucs »

[highlight][/highlight]4C67707F060 wrote: I liked Gamel as well, but agree that he would have cut into the development of younger players.

That said, adding players like Joe, Hedges, Choi, Santana and Velade won't?

i can see the addition of Santana for his experience and leadership, despite his offensive prowess dropping off of a cliff the last 4-5 years (2019 in Cleveland being the outlier).

Choi doesn't seem to offer much on either side of the ball, Joe and Velade are nearly as unproven as the 'youngsters' and will likely get their share of playing time, thus blocking any prospect who may break out (Swaggerty, Mitchell?)

Hedges, while a very good defensive catcher, is about as automatic an out in the batting order as any pitcher, so why not allow Heinemann to tutor Endy? Or pursue someone like Tucker Barnhardt to mentor him? Gary Sanchez could of been had if they wanted more offense (and although he has struggled in recent years and is a lousy defender, he is still better overall than Hedges).

They needed starting pitching depth - Drew Smyly? Mike Minor? Michael Lorenzen? they were all available when Velasquez was signed. Volatile Vince is scary (Watched him for several years in Philly)

[highlight]Just think that BC could have done better with his resources.[/highlight] Maybe I'll be wrong and they'll work out, but I don't see clear playing time for prospects to get much needed experience, especially given Sheltons lineup tendencies.

this should be a big part of his evaluation as a gm. Although I doubt that it is.