Thoughts After First Third of the Season

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

I know that we get frustrated with Bae with his mistakes and

reckless base running. I am hoping that he is still in the learning

stage. Was telling Possum yesterday that Bae has to play. You can't teach speed. He makes things happen. Just have to minimize his mistakes
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Learning stage is for minor liggers and spring training. This is the majors. Time to do, not learn.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

We're starting to see a BC team. I mentioned last year how little by little it's become that way. BC's drafts are still a year or so away from finally filling in most of the 25 man. Interesting that the best infielder, the best outfielder, and the best SP right now are all NH doings (Cruz, Reynolds, Keller). BC's trades are now starting to bear fruit. Marcano, Suwinski, Oviedo, Contreras, Bednar, Holderman, Moreta are all trade returns, as well as Endy Rodriguez. Of course, Reynolds and Cruz were NH trades. Jose Hernandez was a rule 5 pickup, Palacios was a minor league rule 5.

Most of the current team has spent significant time in the Pirates system prior to coming on board, whether NH or BC guys. We are now at the point where we're not picking up bunches of waiver guys just to fill a team. The most significant change IMHO. We have a few of course. But we're not loaded with cast offs any more.

So that's what I'm seeing. A plan materializing. I see a lot of flaws, but flaws can be fixed, complete lack of talent can't. I think what makes this team fun to watch is it's an actual team, not just a bunch of fringe guys trying to hang on to the show, sprinkled in with a couple of low level FA signings looking to get flipped to a contender.

Injuries have tested the depth, but we are also starting to see why the Pirates farm system is ranked so highly. I never care about rankings until I see the proof at the major league level.

As a fan, and one who attends games, I finally feel like we're seeing a group of guys we can expect to see for some time.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I like more than I don't.  That's always a plus.

I like that Cherington's not afraid to move on from mistakes.  Yoshi was an example. Others were auditions and space holders; too many for my taste.

I like that the club appears to be ahead of pace in some ways, but we'll find out if that's true.

What I don't like is my feeling like seasons are being treated more or less like extensions of spring training, minor leagues, or...auditions.  It's the major leagues.  People pay full price to go to games, so treat the team as a major league team.  I can only listen to games, but I care about guys like Surge who pay money and spend their time.

It isn't often that opponents give opportunities like right now.  When they do- pounce!

And, every guy has to earn his keep.  Hayes, Santana, and Hedges don't.  Don't even try to sell me on "glove," "clubhouse," "great guy," or, "they're just here until so and so comes up."  This is now.

I dont like experiments.  The RS is not the time for them.

I'm not sold on BOB.  I can never be.  I can be sold on a better direction, though.  Whether that proves to be the case, who knows?

Frankly, most take the same direction.  It's the implementation where the rubber meets the road.

NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

Folks, is anyone even mildly concerned about Mitch Keller's last two starts? Anyone know how his velocity has been? If alright I won't worry.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4C67754F677A6B616D4E6D606D020 wrote: Folks, is anyone even mildly concerned about Mitch Keller's last two starts? Anyone know how his velocity has been? If alright I won't worry.

I'm concerned. Don't know about the velocity but he's gone 6 IP, 7 hits, 6 ERs and 6 IP, 10 hits, 4 ERs. Usually, when a Pirate pitcher has a couple bad games they go on the IL with some injury. I hope he's ok and gets back to dominating again.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4A617349617C6D676B486B666B040 wrote: Folks, is anyone even mildly concerned about Mitch Keller's last two starts? Anyone know how his velocity has been? If alright I won't worry.

Last start be threw a few at 98 and one at 99MPH
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm not optimistic about the remainder of the season. the 20-10 start was amazing but it was a best case scenario for a brief period of time and not sustainable. Hot or cold streaks early in a season give a false impression because there's nothing else to compare them to. But as the season progresses, we get a better feel for how players will perform.

As of May 2 when they reached 20-10, Santana was hitting .267. The ban on shifts helps him but since 2020 his BA is only .210. Last year he hit .202. He's 37 and both his BA and power have been on the decline for years. He only has 3 HRs and his BA since May 3 is .171. Given his age and declining career, this seems more reasonable than hitting .267.

As of May 2, Connor Joe was hitting .298. Last year was his only season of extended play (404 ABs) and he hit .238. Since May 3rd, he's hit .206. He is not the impact player he appeared to be early on.

As oy May 2, Suwinski was at .264, Castro was at .275 and Delay was hitting .390. Since May 3rd, all 3 have leveled off to what appears to be more representative of their abilities thus far in their careers. Suwinski has hit .218 since then, Castro .245 and Delay .214. Reynolds has tailed off from .330 on May 2 to .282. Hayes and Hedges have been consistently poor hitters all season.

But Cutch has done better than expected. And Marcano and Bae (absent baserunning mistakes) have been bright spots. Cutch's recent years don't suggest he can maintain his current production, but who knows? Maybe he's reenergized and having a comeback year. But most of the players who unexpectedly contributed so much to the great start have leveled off to production more consistent with what was expected. The pitching has been better than expected and, fortunately, may well be the result of pitchers making progress rather than an unsustainable quick start. But even if the pitching is the real deal, it looks like there's too little hitting on the roster to win more than they lose.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

614A58624A57464C4063404D402F0 wrote: Folks, is anyone even mildly concerned about Mitch Keller's last two starts? Anyone know how his velocity has been? If alright I won't worry.

He was hitting 99 against the Giants. Victim of some weak contact that found grass, swinging bunts. His curve ball hasn't been working last two starts.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

507D70616677602023120 wrote: I'm not optimistic about the remainder of the season. the 20-10 start was amazing but it was a best case scenario for a brief period of time and not sustainable. Hot or cold streaks early in a season give a false impression because there's nothing else to compare them to. But as the season progresses, we get a better feel for how players will perform.

As of May 2 when they reached 20-10, Santana was hitting .267. The ban on shifts helps him but since 2020 his BA is only .210. Last year he hit .202. He's 37 and both his BA and power have been on the decline for years. He only has 3 HRs and his BA since May 3 is .171. Given his age and declining career, this seems more reasonable than hitting .267.

As of May 2, Connor Joe was hitting .298. Last year was his only season of extended play (404 ABs) and he hit .238. Since May 3rd, he's hit .206. He is not the impact player he appeared to be early on.

As oy May 2, Suwinski was at .264, Castro was at .275 and Delay was hitting .390. Since May 3rd, all 3 have leveled off to what appears to be more representative of their abilities thus far in their careers. Suwinski has hit .218 since then, Castro .245 and Delay .214. Reynolds has tailed off from .330 on May 2 to .282. Hayes and Hedges have been consistently poor hitters all season.

But Cutch has done better than expected. And Marcano and Bae (absent baserunning mistakes) have been bright spots. Cutch's recent years don't suggest he can maintain his current production, but who knows? Maybe he's reenergized and having a comeback year. But most of the players who unexpectedly contributed so much to the great start have leveled off to production more consistent with what was expected. The pitching has been better than expected and, fortunately, may well be the result of pitchers making progress rather than an unsustainable quick start. But even if the pitching is the real deal, it looks like there's too little hitting on the roster to win more than they lose.

I echo your thoughts, but, again, different folks define "'optimism" differently.

Do I think that we will earn post-season play?  No.  I'm not optimistic about that for reasons you share.  It's possible that we may also fade to last place.  Possible.

But, I am optimistic that the team has and will continue to be an improvement over past entire seasons.  We're not being made fun of anymore.

If anything, it's us fans who get teased because of our excitement that came from April's numbers.  I can't care less about that.  I'll take April excitement over no excitement any day.