Zach Neto

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Zach Neto

Post by Ecbucs »

4A687B66656067684B7C6A6A66090 wrote: This is the kind of thing that always bothers me, and I'm just wondering if y'all feel the same way.

The example is Zach Neto, the Angels' rookie SS.

My son works for Campbell University athletics, specifically the baseball program. So I follow Campbell closely. Zach Neto was a superstar in college ... just looked, played, acted like and carried himself like a major leaguer.

Last June (2022), the Angels drafted him 13th overall I believe.

He played two months in their system last summer. He played about 2-3 weeks in the minors this spring, before they called him up and put him in the starting lineup immediately. He has been there ever since. He already looks great and I guarantee you he'll be an all-star within the next 2-3 years.

He had a 174 minor-league at-bats. That's it. The Angels had seen enough.

My point is this, and this has always bothered me about the Pirates ... I guarantee you if the Pirates had drafted Zach Neto last June, he would still be in Greensboro right now, maybe Altoona by the end of the year ... even though he would already be major league ready.

Lots of teams fast-track top-end talent to the majors. They know they're ready. They don't need to see an entire season at each of their minor league affiliates.

The Pirates never do that. Is it because they just can't recognize when a talented player is major-league ready?

does your son know the pitcher the Pirates drafted from there last year? Harrington or something like that.
CarolinaBucco

Zach Neto

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Yes, name is Thomas Harrington. My son knows him well. I watched him pitch a lot last season. He's legit.

Did really well at Bradenton this year, now trying to get settled at Greensboro. He has been knocked around a bit in his early Greensboro starts, but in 14 IP he has 17 K and 1 BB, so hopefully that is good sign. Great kid.
Ecbucs

Zach Neto

Post by Ecbucs »

547665787B7E79765562747478170 wrote: Yes, name is Thomas Harrington. My son knows him well. I watched him pitch a lot last season. He's legit.

Did really well at Bradenton this year, now trying to get settled at Greensboro. He has been knocked around a bit in his early Greensboro starts, but in 14 IP he has 17 K and 1 BB, so hopefully that is good sign. Great kid.

nice update. I remember reading about him being drafted and had his school mixed up with Cumberland in TN. Just too many schools to follow.