Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Nick Gonzales

Post by Bobster21 »

Mitchell is being optioned.
fjk090852-7

Re: Nick Gonzales

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Sometimes I wonder with Cruz returning next year, and Peguero developing into a very nice middle infielder as to whether the Pirates would consider trading Gonzales this offseason if the right return was coming back in a trade. If the Pirates could acquire a starting pitcher with years of control, I think they would consider that type of trade.
Bobster

Re: Nick Gonzales

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:36 pm Sometimes I wonder with Cruz returning next year, and Peguero developing into a very nice middle infielder as to whether the Pirates would consider trading Gonzales this offseason if the right return was coming back in a trade. If the Pirates could acquire a starting pitcher with years of control, I think they would consider that type of trade.
It's hard to imagine another team giving up much for him now. The Pirates brought him up and gave him a chance. He hit .216 with a .268 OBP and .353 SLG. Those are anemic numbers. And he struck out too much. And he didn't play good defense either. So the Pirates sent him back to AAA. He's young and may yet justify being a #1 draft pick (7th overall). But he certainly didn't show anything when he had the opportunity. If you're a GM of another team you won't give up a starting pitcher with years of control to acquire Gonzales. If he had performed as well as Peguero has, then other teams would be interested enough to give up something good for him. But from what Gonzales showed this year, he has little trade value.
There's no basement in the Alamo.