Article on Pirates' developmental issues.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Article on Pirates' developmental issues.

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:51 pm
Doc wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:36 pm Much of what was written seemed to confirm what so many posters here have been saying about the organization. But more importantly in this article, people who had worked or played within the organization were the ones relating it.
To me, it's a water is wet kind of article. I don't find anything surprising. Hardly the first time an article has thrown shade on the organization from every aspect, with insider comments. I find it confusing people are acting all surprised.

But, with the Keller extension, sure lends a "conspiracy theory" taste to it!
I wasn't surprised at all. The things spoken about are all things many of us have suspected all along. I just found it interesting that people who really know what's going on within the organization were the ones who were quoted confirming what we've thought.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Bobster wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:18 pm
SammyKhalifa wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:12 pm The conspiracy is that the only reason they did the keller deal is to draw attention away from the article. Which is ridicious on so many levels, obviously.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, I didn't get that. That is funny. I'm sure the contract negotiations have been going on a while.
Ha, yeah, I've seen/heard it a few different places already and I haven't really been looking that hard.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The article that was written was very good. I don’t want to give the FO or Bob Nutting a pass, but I wonder if the $30,000 delay in the trade happened during the current regime or the previous regime. I have no basis for what I am saying, but I always felt Frank Coonley had a lot to say behind player acquisition. Possibly Bob Nutting gave Coonley more power than he should have.I have read there was a trade Neal Huntington wanted to make at the Winter Meetings in 2011 or 2012 with pitcher the Indians had, but Coonley stopped it. At this time I cannot remember the pitchers name, but he had very good potential. For some reason I will always believe Huntington was a forced to make the lopsided trade for Chris Archer.
It appears the current FO has brought in some talented people such as John Baker, Dewey Robinson and this offseason they hired a new amateur scouting director. One thing I couldn’t understand is letting go Jon Nunnally as a minor league hitting coach. He has spent time in the minors with many of our prospects who are now in Pittsburgh. The last three years we have signed 3 players to long term contracts which is a positive for the organization. Hopefully they can continue to add players to the group, and retain some of their younger stars with long term contracts.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:52 pm The article that was written was very good. I don’t want to give the FO or Bob Nutting a pass, but I wonder if the $30,000 delay in the trade happened during the current regime or the previous regime. I have no basis for what I am saying, but I always felt Frank Coonley had a lot to say behind player acquisition. Possibly Bob Nutting gave Coonley more power than he should have.I have read there was a trade Neal Huntington wanted to make at the Winter Meetings in 2011 or 2012 with pitcher the Indians had, but Coonley stopped it. At this time I cannot remember the pitchers name, but he had very good potential. For some reason I will always believe Huntington was a forced to make the lopsided trade for Chris Archer.
It appears the current FO has brought in some talented people such as John Baker, Dewey Robinson and this offseason they hired a new amateur scouting director. One thing I couldn’t understand is letting go Jon Nunnally as a minor league hitting coach. He has spent time in the minors with many of our prospects who are now in Pittsburgh. The last three years we have signed 3 players to long term contracts which is a positive for the organization. Hopefully they can continue to add players to the group, and retain some of their younger stars with long term contracts.
I don’t think there’s any question that the Pirates will add players in the future, they just won’t be the right players. As an example, instead of signing an impact guy like Cody Bellinger, the Pirates bring in Rowdy Tellez. There should be no surprise at the results. It’ll always be this way with Bob Nutting as owner.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc, I think we should all chip in and get you a Bellinger jersey. Sorry to say, it won't have Pirates on the front.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:57 am Doc, I think we should all chip in and get you a Bellinger jersey. Sorry to say, it won't have Pirates on the front.
I seriously don’t know why there aren’t more fans whining and crying like I’ve been about this issue. We all know Bellinger will never be signed here but that doesn’t mean we all, especially the media, can’t loudly point out that he could be, but the owner won’t allow it. Nutting says he wants to win, that he wants improvement. He has the perfect opportunity to make his club better right now and for the next five to six years. His feet should be held to the fire over this. I can’t accept people believing the Pirates line that they can’t afford a player like him. It’s a lie.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:10 am
Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:57 am Doc, I think we should all chip in and get you a Bellinger jersey. Sorry to say, it won't have Pirates on the front.
I seriously don’t know why there aren’t more fans whining and crying like I’ve been about this issue. We all know Bellinger will never be signed here but that doesn’t mean we all, especially the media, can’t loudly point out that he could be, but the owner won’t allow it. Nutting says he wants to win, that he wants improvement. He has the perfect opportunity to make his club better right now and for the next five to six years. His feet should be held to the fire over this. I can’t accept people believing the Pirates line that they can’t afford a player like him. It’s a lie.
From what I've read, even the big market teams have not been willing to meet Scott Boras' asking price for Bellinger. Speculation is that Bellinger wants to remain with the Cubs but the club is trying to bring the price tag down before signing him.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:57 am
From what I've read, even the big market teams have not been willing to meet Scott Boras' asking price for Bellinger. Speculation is that Bellinger wants to remain with the Cubs but the club is trying to bring the price tag down before signing him.
Has the Boras/Bellinger salary demand been reported?
Babe Adams

Post by Babe Adams »

.I have read there was a trade Neal Huntington wanted to make at the Winter Meetings in 2011 or 2012 with pitcher the Indians had, but Coonley stopped it.
Jason Bay-Cliff Lee:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/ ... ulled.html
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:42 am
Bobster wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:57 am

Has the Boras/Bellinger salary demand been reported?
Not that I could find.
There's no basement in the Alamo.