Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate2

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by UtahPirate2 »

Possum wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:01 pm There is also discussion on local sports talk shows that due to the roster crunch next season, the Bucs might need to let Cutch go so some of the kids can stay around. That would be a big kick in the ass for Cutch, a guy who really bleeds black & gold to not reach the 300-homer level if he is forced to retire by the Bucs. If he does retire due to his Achilles injury that would be different. If he does not retire, it would be a hit on the Bucs PR situation on the Burgh.
We have so many young guys with options left that the plane between Indy and Pittsburgh will stay busy. I wouldn't worry about Cutch. His good will right now is off the charts, his season was solid, and he is the ideal guy to lead us to the next level. He'll be back.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

If his injury is fully healed, I expect him to be a Buc in
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:53 pm If his injury is fully healed, I expect him to be a Buc in
UtahPirate2 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:08 pm
Possum wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:01 pm There is also discussion on local sports talk shows that due to the roster crunch next season, the Bucs might need to let Cutch go so some of the kids can stay around. That would be a big kick in the ass for Cutch, a guy who really bleeds black & gold to not reach the 300-homer level if he is forced to retire by the Bucs. If he does retire due to his Achilles injury that would be different. If he does not retire, it would be a hit on the Bucs PR situation on the Burgh.
We have so many young guys with options left that the plane between Indy and Pittsburgh will stay busy. I wouldn't worry about Cutch. His good will right now is off the charts, his season was solid, and he is the ideal guy to lead us to the next level. He'll be back.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

A lot of times Possum, those guys on the talk shows just like to hear themselves talk
Possum

Post by Possum »

I was listening to DK Sports Daily Shot of the Pirates this morning and one thing was mentioned the Bucs need to increase payroll, what else is new, to at least $100 million. It was also suggested that the Bucs might want to go after Joe Musgrove from the Padres because the Pads have been upset with the lack of success despite the huge payroll. The Pads might just want to tear things down and start all over.
Musgrove is making $20 million a year over the next 4 years. I think that the Bucs & Pads should at least discuss a trade with the Pads retaining some of Musgrove's salary.
Let's Go Bucs
Carolina Bucco

Post by Carolina Bucco »

I think the team is actually in position to be legitimately competitive in 2024 ... in every aspect except the one glaring area ... STARTING PITCHING.

This team is nowhere near being competitive in terms of SP, and until the front office addresses that like a real major league team THAT WANTS TO WIN ... until they do that, this franchise will never get over the hump.

Instead of going into a season with maybe 5 mediocre pitchers, they need to SPEND MONEY and go into next season with at least 7 potential, LEGITIMATE starters. (Because you know at least 1-2 will be injured and another 1-2 will underachieve. That always happens and we should be prepared for it).

Right now we have 1.5 ... and I don't fully trust Keller or Oviedo, but they are both definitely good enough to be 2 of the 7.

if Cherington is allowed to spend $$$ this offseason (and that of course is THE question), he should spend every waking hour trying to bring in actual, proven guys who are healthy and who have won at the major league level.

Anything less than going ALL IN on starting pitching and starting pitch depth will only lead to more disappointment.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Would love for them to go after Trevor Bauer now that his situation has been resolved and he has been vindicated.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I want Cody Bellinger to be the main target. No one can convince me that the Pirates don’t have the money after all these years of spending so little.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Would love to have him as well doc, but there are too many teams with the money to outbid us