Bye Bye Castro

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Re: Bye Bye Castro

Post by Surgnbuck »

I think we got a lot of value with this trade. However, I honestly think Castro's problems started by trying to fill Cruz's shoes. His game completely went to shreds after Cruz went down.

He still was lethal hitting right handed against lefties. I was hoping maybe they would try and convince him to stop switch hitting, and spend the rest of the year in AAA getting AB's facing RHP batting right handed. It's not just something you can do overnight, and may not ever work out. But the very least, he'll be a solid bench/platoon partner addition somewhere if the fit is right. He's average at best defensively, but he is versatile all the same.

With a ton of middle infielders now, at some point someone was going to have to be traded. Cruz, Gonzales, Peguero, Marcano, Bae, Castro, Williams, that's a lot of guys to sort through. It helped in an odd way with Cruz, Bae, and Marcano on the IL because that opened up more playing time at either/or the MLB or AAA level so everyone could get regular AB's. Trading Castro was a way of basically telling him that the other guys were viewed as being better, with higher ceilings and upsides.

Just my opinion.