Rumors of Josh Bell getting the call for tonight.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

272E263739430 wrote: Glasnow down, Bell up I heard.   It makes sense since Glasnow can't go again until after the break and we're loading up the offense for this set vs the cubs.

Lets get em'  (And call him back up after the break for his next start)

I agree. Makes total sense. Good idea. I wonder if he starts over Jaso?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

The number of "Big Name" or even moderately interesting rookie callups in a such short amount of time is incredible. Usually we're waiting for maybe one of these a year.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

He certainly deserves to get the call-up. His numbers in AAA have been ridiculous and he can definitely add some more offense to this lineup. I like the move and I expect Bell to play well when he does get his chance to play.
PMike

Post by PMike »

Man, if he plays tonight, his first at bat will be against Arrieta in his prime. That is really tough.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

5E4367656B0E0 wrote: Man, if he plays tonight, his first at bat will be against Arrieta in his prime.  That is really tough.
His 1st AB may not be against Arietta...he's not in the lineup posted....

1. John Jaso (L) 1B

2. Gregory Polanco (L) RF

3. Andrew McCutchen (R) CF

4. David Freese (R) 3B

5. Starling Marte (R) LF

6. Josh Harrison (R) 2B

7. Sean Rodriguez (R) SS

8. Erik Kratz (R) C

9. Francisco Liriano (L) P
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

So if Bell was just up for the three days, shouldn't he have been optioned immediately after the game? The quicker he goes down, the quicker he's eligible to come back.
PMike

Post by PMike »

5C6F737271794F7269756E697874731D0 wrote: So if Bell was just up for the three days, shouldn't he have been optioned immediately after the game?  The quicker he goes down, the quicker he's eligible to come back.

I think they are waiting on some of the other injuries (Harrison, Joyce, and esp. Polanco) before making a decision.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

They said on the telecast yesterday that Bell would be with them at least 1 game after the AS break because they won't need to activate Cole off the DL until probably Friday. And when they do, they might option Kuhl because they won't need a 5th starter for another week. Or Polanco could be DL'd. So there are several options involving Bell.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Or they could just keep Bell up here for the rest of the season and DFA or demote somebody. I know it's only a small sample size but you cant send Bell down after how impressive he looked in the 3 at bats he had over the weekend against the Cubs. The Pirates are a better team with him on the Major League roster whether he is starting everyday at 1st base, or whether he is starting a few times a week and coming off the bench. He deserves to be here period.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0B2C3D393C211E2A3D3C3C21580 wrote: Or they could just keep Bell up here for the rest of the season and DFA or demote somebody. I know it's only a small sample size but you cant send Bell down after how impressive he looked in the 3 at bats he had over the weekend against the Cubs. The Pirates are a better team with him on the Major League roster whether he is starting everyday at 1st base, or whether he is starting a few times a week and coming off the bench. He deserves to be here period.

I agree. But if you believe what the Pirates are saying, his stay will be short.