Kang situation

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NCBuccofan

Kang situation

Post by NCBuccofan »

13323A133830570 wrote: Interesting question dmetz.  Not to sound like a smartalec but why don't you try a Google search or something like that and see what you can find out.  But I would think even if they could put him on some kind of "leave list" it would not be a paid one and if that happens I would assume the MLBPA would shout holy crap about it.

It is not something that I would like to see them do as there is nothing more than an accusation of something happening.

Restricted list is not paid, but the team can pay anyways. I imagine they paid Nicasio when he was on it, since it sounded like a personal issue.

I would think they would pay Kang as well, and he would likely have to agree to avoid a grievance. So it seems unlikely to happen.
MaineBucs

Kang situation

Post by MaineBucs »

Freese

Freese has been much more productive than I ever could have imagined when the Pirates signed him. That said, I am glad it was a 1 year deal at the time of signing, and I think it was the right length of contract to offer to him. There was every reason to believe that he could have been in a never ending downward spiral phase of his career.

It is amazing that NH was able to find 3 bench pieces, Freese, Rodriguez and Joyce, that have been as productive as they have been and for the amount that each signed for. Individually they are offering more WAR than some of the starters, and collectively, they are off the charts based on the number of at-bats. Further, Rodriguez has been very good defensively, regardless of where he has played, and Freese has been an acceptable first baseman defensively as well as an okay third baseman defensively.

And, looking beyond this year, I see next year's IF being some combo of Bell - 1st, Harrison - 2nd, Mercer - SS, Kang - 3rd, with Rodriguez (hard for me to believe I look forward to the Bucs resigning Rodriguez for next year), Frazier and perhaps Hanson as reserves. With the exception of Bell, all can play multiple positions. Frankly, I can't remember a time when a Pirate manager had the IF options that are regularly available to Hurdle - decent offensive production and acceptable (and in the case of Mercer) to really good defense.
NCBuccofan

Kang situation

Post by NCBuccofan »

Agree Maine, all three of those bench adds have worked very well so far. Obviously Joyce and Freese will move on next year, and they should be ok with Freese moving on, assuming this big issue with Kang is resolved and he is still on the team.

Seems unlikely they would be able to keep Freese even if they had the need next year. I guess they could have some savings in the starting rotation, but the bullpen will need a full makeover. Plus Cole will eat up a good portion of Niese's subtraction. The bullpen will have Schugel and maybe Watson next year, and that is all you can really say for sure at this point.

With Joyce moving on, they would have a need for a left handed bench bat. Frazier seems like a Brock Holt type, but even with him and Hanson being switch hitters, they would probably want a guy with some pop. Mitch Moreland seems like a guy that would fit.

Rodriguez might want, and get a multi year deal, so they might want to get that done now if they plan on keeping him. A team like the Braves could sign him for 2 years at $5 mil each.
fjk090852-7

Kang situation

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I just heard on 93.7 The Fan that Rob Manfred was asked about Kang at an All Star Q & A and he had nothing new to report. MLB is working with the Chicago authorities with the investigation.
Jonathan34

Kang situation

Post by Jonathan34 »

040809525B525A57504F55620 wrote: I just heard on  93.7 The Fan that Rob Manfred was asked about Kang at an All Star Q & A and he had nothing new to report. MLB is working with the Chicago authorities with the investigation.

Thank you for the update.
dmetz

Kang situation

Post by dmetz »

Chicago PD is one of the most honest, fair, and incorruptible police forces in the country. I'm sure they will do everything they can to deal with this matter very quickly and make sure that justice is reached.

;D
DemDog

Kang situation

Post by DemDog »

7A737B6A641E0 wrote: Chicago PD is one of the most honest, fair, and incorruptible police forces in the country.  I'm sure they will do everything they can to deal with this matter very quickly and make sure that justice is reached.

;D

I have to at least triple that emoji: ;D ;D ;D and another for good measure! ;D