The Roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

The Roster

Post by Osushawn »

614C41505746511112230 wrote: Bryse Wilson DFA to make room for Garcia.

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1608257351613820928

somebody sent a player for Park and for Castillo so a minor leaguer may come back in the next week or so for Wilson.
It's depressing to see players DFA'd who were traded for to acquire.

Wilson to the Brewers for Cash. Hate that is was in the Central, but they got something for him.
Ecbucs

The Roster

Post by Ecbucs »

407C7A7C676E78610F0 wrote: Bryse Wilson DFA to make room for Garcia.

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1608257351613820928

somebody sent a player for Park and for Castillo so a minor leaguer may come back in the next week or so for Wilson.
It's depressing to see players DFA'd who were traded for to acquire.

Wilson to the Brewers for Cash.  Hate that is was in the Central, but they got something for him.

Pretty clear if he ever pitches a no hitter, it will be against the Bucs. On the other hand maybe the Pirates can beat him.
GreenWeenie

The Roster

Post by GreenWeenie »

I expect the Pirates to beat him. That written, I wish him success against the other teams. Not too much success, mind you. We need to pass them.
3pirates3

The Roster

Post by 3pirates3 »

UtahPirate

The Roster

Post by UtahPirate »

Bucs maintain their commitment to Ryan Vilade. And interestingly, Vilade makes an appearance as Pirate prospect #30 on MLB's latest top 30 prospects list.

9 OFs on the 40-man.
Surgnbuck

The Roster

Post by Surgnbuck »

Well, I picked Thompson, Underwood, and Wilson as most likely to go to make room for Garcia and Hill, because I felt they have no intention of trading Reynolds right now. I said I'd prefer Wilson of the three to stay.

I guess maybe they are DFA'ing guys in order of their chances of being able to get something in return for a trade, like Wilson for cash.
Surgnbuck

The Roster

Post by Surgnbuck »

54756069516873607564010 wrote: Bucs maintain their commitment to Ryan Vilade. And interestingly, Vilade makes an appearance as Pirate prospect #30 on MLB's latest top 30 prospects list.

9 OFs on the 40-man.
Big change from the last year with Polanco, when we essentially had 2 OF (Reynolds, Gamel) the whole season. Though Oliva was an excellent defender, he could never hit to make the squad, yet still remained on the 40 through 2022 season. Jeez, looking at those names. Stokes, Alford, Tom, Nogowski, Owen, Tsutsugo. At least Yoshi raked (and fooled us all!).
3pirates3

The Roster

Post by 3pirates3 »

Pittsburgh trades Thompson to Toronto for minor league OF Chavez Young.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... ung-011cha
MaineBucs

The Roster

Post by MaineBucs »

Young looks like roster filler for the AA or AAA team. Frankly, if I were the Pirates, I would rather have received cash as the return.
SyrBucco

The Roster

Post by SyrBucco »

There's going to be quite the competition for the last position player spot, and many factors are at play.

The team currently has no one to give Cruz a breather at SS. A righty hitter would have been ideal , someone with a reliable glove. But that ship sailed with Newman and Castillo on it. Two lefty hitters, Bae and Marcano, have some experience there. A switch-hitter, Castro, hasn't played the position very well, to be kind. Even Triolo is a dark horse candidate, given his glove and versatility.

Until Reynolds is traded, the Bucs have 5 strong contenders for OF spots. There's Suwinsky and Joe, likely in a platoon. Then we need to determine if Andujar or Mitchell will factor in. Bae and Marcano have to be considered as well. Bae could be our leadoff hitter.

So who's the odd man out? I don't have an answer, but I'm leaning toward Marcano over Triolo and Mitchell. If memory serves, Marcano was a solid glove in both the INF and OF last year. But somebody's got to win the job in Spring Training.

I think Andujar is going to make it, because the Bucs will need a right handed bat vs. lefty pitching. Here's a possible lineup vs. LHSP:

Joe, LF/RF (.349 OBP last year vs. LHSP)

Hayes, 3B

Reynolds, CF

Santana, 1B/DH

Castro, 2B

Andujar, DH/1B/LF/RF

Cruz, SS

Hedges, C

Bae/Marcano, LF/RF

Doesn't leave us with a good righty bat on the bench, but 3 decent lefty batters and a reserve catcher will have to do.