Austin Meadows

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Tintin

Austin Meadows

Post by Tintin »

I wouldn't. I've seen to many pitcher go see Dr. Andrews to trade a player that can play 150 games a year, have a power, speed, defense skill set for a player who is a pitch away from being out for 18 months.

I like Archer, but I'm very gun shy about dealing studs for pitchers.
Docjon49

Austin Meadows

Post by Docjon49 »

4E73746E73741A0 wrote: I wouldn't.  I've seen to many pitcher go see Dr. Andrews to trade a player that can play 150 games a year, have a power, speed, defense skill set for a player who is a pitch away from being out for 18 months.

I like Archer, but I'm very gun shy about dealing studs for pitchers.

This is my concern as well.

I HAD BEEN thinking we should entertain trading Cutch this winter, but then he went on a season-long tailspin.  I wouldn't trade anyone but short-timers, and I'd hope for Cutch to rebound, and maybe trade him after NEXT season.  Won't get as big of a return by then since he'll only have one season remaining, but his stock is at an all-time low, so that's the best we can hope for.

Quail

Austin Meadows

Post by Quail »

Depends...

If you believe Cutch will rebound from this season long offensive slump then Meadows as trade bait for Archer or Teheran makes sense. Of course Meadows won't bring either of those pitchers on his own, and the sweetening of the pot will likely not be insignificant, and would IMO involve at least one of Brault or Kuhl plus another lesser prospect.

If you think Cutch has begun an irreversible career decline then Meadows is the guy who has the potential to keep the Pirates outfield as it's major strength, allow Cutch to be dealt and payroll to open up for a possible quality pitcher free agent signing. So you don't trade him. There are never any guarantees about success at the MLB level but he's done nothing at the minor league level to think he won't end up being a stud in the majors.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Austin Meadows

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

No way to trade Meadows and others. Meadows is the talent.
DemDog

Austin Meadows

Post by DemDog »

No way I trade Meadows just yet. When faced with a deal like has be suggested takes me back to the Zane Smith trade in 1990. We dealt a top prospect, Willie Green (who did not pan out) and a PTBNL and top prospect one Moises Alou who did become a very, very good ball player. Do not want that to happen again unless we feel there is a great chance of success for the player acquired and the team as whole during this season and this season only.
iwatch

Austin Meadows

Post by iwatch »

I'm betting that Glasnow, Kuhl, Taillon, or Brault can give TWO seasons of ERA+ of 120 and average 108 which is what Archer gives.

Teheran is a bit better with one full season of ERA+ 120 or better, a season at 117 (virtually the same) and this year which appears great so far.

Currently Gerit Cole has a season of ERA+ over 140 and this season over 130 so far.

Jameson Taillon is at 120 right now.

Locke is 74. That's ridiculous.

But, Archer running out a string of 120s for ERA+ is not accurate nor even close to being a certainty. Teheran might be a better bet but also not close to being a certainty.

Thus keeping a potential stud outfielder seems smarter to me.

And, neither Archer or Teheran will likely put this team over the top this year. If we were close, maybe make a trade. But...

I would not trade Meadows, Hayes, Newman, Keller, Taillon , Glasnow, or Bell.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Austin Meadows

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

02232B022921460 wrote: No way I trade Meadows just yet.  When faced with a deal like has be suggested takes me back to the Zane Smith trade in 1990.  We dealt a top prospect, Willie Green (who did not pan out) and a PTBNL and top prospect one Moises Alou who did become a very, very good ball player.  Do not want that to happen again unless we feel there is a great chance of success for the player acquired and the team as whole during this season and this season only.

That is a very good example. Zane Smith was needed to beat the Mets. The Pirates talent was in the outfield too. Not much room for Alou.

Some differences are that Smith was older, not really long term. The Pirates owners probably knew this was it as they were bankrupt.

Even though that trade helped big time, but didn't win a World Series. Still a very good comparison.
PMike

Austin Meadows

Post by PMike »

575C54585D5C470204734A525B5C5C1D505C330 wrote: No way I trade Meadows just yet.  When faced with a deal like has be suggested takes me back to the Zane Smith trade in 1990.  We dealt a top prospect, Willie Green (who did not pan out) and a PTBNL and top prospect one Moises Alou who did become a very, very good ball player.  Do not want that to happen again unless we feel there is a great chance of success for the player acquired and the team as whole during this season and this season only.

That is a very good example. Zane Smith was needed to beat the Mets. The Pirates talent was in the outfield too. Not much room for Alou.

Some differences are that Smith was older, not really long term. The Pirates owners probably knew this was it as they were bankrupt.

Even though that trade helped big time, but didn't win a World Series. Still a very good comparison.

This moment is very different from 1990. There are three top notch OFers in the MLB roster, signed cheap for the next 5 years. Where is he supposed to play???

Next year they are going to have 4 top notch OFers and three spots. Someone is going to have to go. The Pirates can have bench resources like that.
Bobster21

Austin Meadows

Post by Bobster21 »

0C113537395C0 wrote:

Next year they are going to have 4 top notch OFers and three spots.  Someone is going to have to go. The Pirates can have bench resources like that.
Next year Joyce will probably be gone and Meadows will get his feet wet in MLB as the 4th outfielder.
PMike

Austin Meadows

Post by PMike »

163B36272031266665540 wrote:

Next year they are going to have 4 top notch OFers and three spots.  Someone is going to have to go. The Pirates can have bench resources like that.
Next year Joyce will probably be gone and Meadows will get his feet wet in MLB as the 4th outfielder.

I don't see them doing that. No way they bring up a kid who has played every day in his life and they suddenly make him a bench player. He's a top 10 prospect in baseball. When he hits the majors, it'll be to start, IMO.