Goodbye Carlos

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Goodbye Carlos

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1D4B5D49465C4C474A5D6F48424E4643014C2F0 wrote: I enjoyed watching Santana play defense.  First time in a long while that the Pirates had someone at first who could scope it and consistently make the 3-6-3 double play.  He always seemed to hustle and was one of the team's better (a low bar) base-runners.  His hitting is about what the team should have expected when it signed him, but at this point in his career, he was really miscast as a 3-4-5 hitter.

I was looking at the Brewers' options at first earlier today and wondered if the Pirates would consider trading Santana to a Division rival.  Seeing as the Pirates are pretty hopelessly out of the race, my conclusion was why not.  And, as far as the return, why not a player who could have been one of the Pirates higher draft picks this year, particularly when it didn't cost any money to acquire him (team paid about $1.8 mil to sign an 18 year high school pitcher, Zander Mueth) and likely saved the team some cash (not that I am concerned about Nutting's money) regarding his salary.   

The question now is will the team also trade Choi when there are not any other natural first basemen on the roster?  My guess is yes.  Triolo has no power, but could slide over to first when Hayes returns, and perhaps the team recalls Andujar and gives him one last shot.  With the number of teams looking for OF help who can hit lefties and who will not cost much in either salary of what is traded, I assume that Joe is all but good as gone.   

On my end, I am okay with this trade, and hope that there are more to follow.    

I really wish they would give the job to andujar for the remainder of the season and see what he can do with it. 

Andujar’s really hitting well in Indy so he’s earned a shot.  If he does well the rest of the way then the Bucs potentially have their 1Bman for the next few years.  If not, Triolo could be the guy.  I’d really like to see Triolo in the line-up somewhere.  I think he’s going to be a solid player.

I have been pushing Andujar all season, but when he has been

brought up, he fails to produce.Hopefully he can be productive
SammyKhalifa

Goodbye Carlos

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah I'd call him up too (why not?) but so far he has all the signs of being AAAA
DemDog

Goodbye Carlos

Post by DemDog »

The problem with trading Choi now is that they have no first baseman anywhere capable in the minors waiting for a chance. Joe will not be traded because he can play first base.

Now I think that they should trade Joe if they can get a bucket of batting practice balls and bring Andujar up for one last look. Then go out a find a first baseman they can afford in FA in the spring.