Nationals looking at Melancon

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Trading Melancon would be throwing in the towel. He is one of the best at his position and teams that could acquire him are competing against the Pirates. Why make those teams stronger?

No contending team is going to give up current roster players.
Buccos1313

Post by Buccos1313 »

Nats are reportedly (MLB Trade Rumors) willing to trade Lucas Giolito for Andrew Miller straight up. If they make the same offer for Melancon, the Pirates have to take that trade.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

526573737F6321232123100 wrote: Nats are reportedly (MLB Trade Rumors) willing to trade Lucas Giolito for Andrew Miller straight up.  If they make the same offer for Melancon, the Pirates have to take that trade.

That would be tough to pass up!
dave3BA

Post by dave3BA »

1F283E3E322E6C6E6C6E5D0 wrote: Nats are reportedly (MLB Trade Rumors) willing to trade Lucas Giolito for Andrew Miller straight up.  If they make the same offer for Melancon, the Pirates have to take that trade.

Well, yeah. But that won't happen. Miller is under contract for 2+ seasons and Melancon for 2 months. Millers numbers are also favorable to Melancons. The Pirates won't be getting Giolito or any other top prospect for Melancon.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

Andrew Miller has two additional reasonably-priced years on his contract. Let's not stray too far from reality.
Buccos1313

Post by Buccos1313 »

Yankees told them no thanks. I was just suggesting that you can't say trading Melancon is throwing in the towel. If that Nats are willing to deal Giolito, and Melancon could be a big part getting him, I'd say do it.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

If that rumor is true, the Yankees really have no clue what they're doing.
dcm8299

Post by dcm8299 »

For the Nats, it's either get a serious upgrade like Melancon or leave your World Series hopes and dreams up to Papelbon.

For the Bucs, Watson can close. He's been ready. IMHO, if Cutch and Liriano don't get back to where they normally are, the BUCS have NO SHOT anyways. If Neil H. can extract Lopez for Melancon straight up do it immediately. If Neil H. can get Giolito for a package of Melancon, Brault or Keller and Joyce do it IMMEDIATELY!
Steve19981

Post by Steve19981 »

Miller is a better reliever than Melancon tand under control for two more years. Melancon's return won't be in the ballpark of Miller's, but he would yield some pretty solid pieces. If two months of Chapman nets two top 100 prospects, I would think Melancon could be lure one with some injury concerns along with a major league reliever. If the Pirates land Erick Fedde, a lesser prospect and Yusmeiro Petit, I'd be cool with that.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

I find this news really interesting. For a team like the Bucs, I think we need to get something of value for Melancon. I really don't think we can just let him go. And we aren't about to match his qualifying offer next year hoping someone picks it up and we get a draft choice. We ride him till the end of the year, we get zero.

I think we can be both sellers and buyers. Again, this is a year of transition. Let's pull the trigger and get something and put Watson in the closer role. Watson will probably be there next year anyway.

I'd like to see the same for Jaso or Freese to open up 1B for Bell as well.