8/22 Game thread - Houston vs Taillon

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

massbucsfan

Post by massbucsfan »

taillon pitched a great game one little lapse there in the fifth and with the way the bats are going its not enough, im gonna watch this last month looking at how the young pitchers finish the year and hope bell hits and somehow improves his defense.sorry freddy but im done worrying about the standings and who is winning and losing on a certain night unless a miracle happens this team is just not good enough to go on a big run and make the playoffs ,thats just the way i see it,lets hope im wrong but i doubt it
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

5E7C6F727174737C5F687E7E721D0 wrote: This will make 3 consecutive very good pitching performances (Kuhl was good, Vogey very good, Taillon excellent) all wasted thanks to an offense that has completely shut down. And it's not like we've faced Kershaw, Bumgarner and Fernandez over the last 3 nights.

This is a brutal, poorly-timed 4-game home losing streak.
Never saw this coming with as good as we played out West last week. The Pirates pretty much have totally cancelled out what they did out West last week. It's extremely disappointing.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

363A2828392E38283D3A355B0 wrote: taillon pitched a great game one little lapse there in the fifth and with the way the bats are going its not enough, im gonna watch this last month looking at how the young pitchers finish the year and hope bell hits and somehow improves his defense.sorry freddy but im done worrying about the standings and who is winning and losing on a certain night unless a miracle happens this team is just not good enough to go on a big run and make the playoffs ,thats just the way i see it,lets hope im wrong but i doubt it

Yeah, I'm with you on this team. I hope they come back and shock us, but this weekend, and certainly tonight, has almost certainly but this season out of its misery. I'll be watching the pitching and Bell and Cutch. I'll be looking for leadership or lack thereof. But I won't be watching the standings unless the team does something I now think unlikely.
rucker59@gmail.com

OK, put Marte down as quitting.
rucker59@gmail.com

At least Freese was busting his tail....
massbucsfan

Post by massbucsfan »

well that was a fitting way to end the season oh sorry i meant game
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

383F29212F387F730A2D272B2326642925274A0 wrote: At least Freese was busting his tail....
...without using his head. :(
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

On the Freese bustin' his tail play that ended the game I wonder where was Nick Leyva? The coach sure did help blow that one for sure.

He should know that with 2 out in the 9th and down 2 runs that you do not take the chance to get to 2B as Freese's run alone does nothing to tie or win the game. Freese needs to stay at 1B and put the bat in the hands of the next batter who by the way happened to be everyone's favorite 1B Josh Bell.

Now that I have ranted a bit and taken some of the load off Freese for the bad play I must say that I loved his hustle and who knows the throw to 2B that nailed him might have actually ended up going over the 2Bmans head or something like that making Freese safe and the game continues. Alas, it did not and the Bucs end up wasting a great start by Taillon.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

77565E775C54330 wrote: On the Freese bustin' his tail play that ended the game I wonder where was Nick Leyva?  The coach sure did help blow that one for sure.

He should know that with 2 out in the 9th and down 2 runs that you do not take the chance to get to 2B as Freese's run alone does nothing to tie or win the game.  Freese needs to stay at 1B and put the bat in the hands of the next batter who by the way happened to be everyone's favorite 1B Josh Bell.

Now that I have ranted a bit and taken some of the load off Freese for the bad play I must say that I loved his hustle and who knows the throw to 2B that nailed him might have actually ended up going over the 2Bmans head or something like that making Freese safe and the game continues.  Alas, it did not and the Bucs end up wasting a great start by Taillon.

Freese had run well past the bag and was nearly in RF when he saw the ball go by and turned toward 2B. If Leyva was yelling to him to stay, he wouldn't have heard him.
PMike

Post by PMike »

With respect to the above posters, there is no defense for Freese's base running. He doesn't get an attaboy for hustling. It was an absolute brain dead move that cost them a chance of tying/winning the game. Bell is exactly the guy you'd want coming to the plate representing the tying run. Sadly, Freese just wasn't thinking.