8/24 Game Thread - Cole v Stros

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4348404C4948531610675E464F4848094448270 wrote: No, Cole has to be better than the Astros' line up.  The Pirates' hitters need to be better than the Astros' pitcher. 

I never understood why pitching match ups are hyped.

I know what you're saying, but don't you think it's about damn time that our #1-overall-pick ACE starts acting like it and out-pitches someone?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3B30383431302B6E681F263E373030713C305F0 wrote:

What's not to understand? Baseball is different from other sports because, barring injuries, other sports have essentially the same players each game. Baseball is very different because the pitchers change from one game to the next and each pitcher has different abilities. The pitcher is crucial to his team so it's always interesting to see what the matchup will be for any given game. Not only do you have to score against the opposing pitcher but you have to do it to a greater degree than the other team scores against yours.

Pitching matchups can even change how a game is played. In a matchup between Kershaw and Bumgarner, the managers are more inclined to order sac bunts early in the game to play for 1 run rather than playing for a more unlikely big inning. On defense, they may play the infield in more often because giving up even 1 run could be crucial when you don't expect to score much against the other guy. When either of those pitchers is matched against a less talented pitcher, his manager doesn't have to play for 1 run early because he thinks his team can score a lot of runs.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

JORDY!
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

Cole has really been pitching like Locke lately. Even when he doesn't give up runs, he flirts with disaster. I don't know if he has a dead arm or what but he is really frustrating to watch right now.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4F626F7E79687F3F3C0D0 wrote:

What's not to understand? Baseball is different from other sports because, barring injuries, other sports have essentially the same players each game. Baseball is very different because the pitchers change from one game to the next and each pitcher has different abilities. The pitcher is crucial to his team so it's always interesting to see what the matchup will be for any given game. Not only do you have to score against the opposing pitcher but you have to do it to a greater degree than the other team scores against yours.

Pitching matchups can even change how a game is played.  In a matchup between Kershaw and Bumgarner, the managers are more inclined to order sac bunts early in the game to play for 1 run rather than playing for a more unlikely big inning. On defense, they may play the infield in more often because giving up even 1 run could be crucial when you don't expect to score much against the other guy. When either of those pitchers is matched against a less talented pitcher, his manager doesn't have to play for 1 run early because he thinks his team can score a lot of runs.

I understand the game situation and strategies. I don't get why a certain pitcher vs a certain pitcher is the hype.

Kershaw is great. He still has to shut down the Pirates. He doesn't have to pitch better than the Pirates pitcher, he has to pitch so the Pirates hitters don't hit him and score runs.

If I was a pitcher, I wouldn't be worried about who I was facing on the mound. I would be worried about the other teams' hitters. I pitched a lot growing up. I was never worried about my mind opponent, I was worried about the guys batting 1-2-3-4.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

69626A666362793C3A4D746C656262236E620D0 wrote:

Pitching matchups can even change how a game is played.  In a matchup between Kershaw and Bumgarner, the managers are more inclined to order sac bunts early in the game to play for 1 run rather than playing for a more unlikely big inning. On defense, they may play the infield in more often because giving up even 1 run could be crucial when you don't expect to score much against the other guy. When either of those pitchers is matched against a less talented pitcher, his manager doesn't have to play for 1 run early because he thinks his team can score a lot of runs.

I understand the game situation and strategies.  I don't get why a certain pitcher vs a certain pitcher is the hype.

Kershaw is great.  He still has to shut down the Pirates.  He doesn't have to pitch better than the Pirates pitcher, he has to pitch so the Pirates hitters don't hit him and score runs.

If I was a pitcher, I wouldn't be worried about who I was facing on the mound.  I would be worried about the other teams' hitters.  I pitched a lot growing up.  I was never worried about my mind opponent, I was worried about the guys batting 1-2-3-4. 

They don't hype the matchup for the players. They hype it for the fans. Sure, each pitcher can only control his own pitching. But you could pitch a great game and give up only 2 runs but still lose if the other guy gives up only 1. So the matchup is pertinent to the outcome of the game.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

567B76676071662625140 wrote:

I understand the game situation and strategies.  I don't get why a certain pitcher vs a certain pitcher is the hype.

Kershaw is great.  He still has to shut down the Pirates.  He doesn't have to pitch better than the Pirates pitcher, he has to pitch so the Pirates hitters don't hit him and score runs.

If I was a pitcher, I wouldn't be worried about who I was facing on the mound.  I would be worried about the other teams' hitters.  I pitched a lot growing up.  I was never worried about my mind opponent, I was worried about the guys batting 1-2-3-4. 

They don't hype the matchup for the players. They hype it for the fans. Sure, each pitcher can only control his own pitching. But you could pitch a great game and give up only 2 runs but still lose if the other guy gives up only 1. So the matchup is pertinent to the outcome of the game.

And it could also be in the back of a pitchers mind.  Someone would know that if the other team was pitching Kershaw there would be much less room for error than if his team were facing Jimmy Anderson.  You could see it as recently as last night, where our pitcher knew his team was up a billion to nothing and could afford to just throw strikes.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

I wonder if he's tipping his pitches.

Even the outs are getting thumped.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

75474B4B5F6D4E474A4F4047260 wrote:

And it could also be in the back of a pitchers mind.  Someone would know that if the other team was pitching Kershaw there would be much less room for error than if his team were facing Jimmy Anderson.  You could see it as recently as last night, where our pitcher knew his team was up a billion to nothing and could afford to just throw strikes.
That's what Steve Blass said in an earlier broadcast this year. He said when he was pitching, it mattered who his opponent was because his mound foe determined whether he would have more or less margin for error in his own pitching.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Well, this game is pretty much over.

If you are in a tight pennant race, you CANNOT lose this game with this pitching matchup.

Problem is, Cole right now is pitching like a bad No. 5 starter. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO HIM? He's not good and he's losing EVERY TIME through the rotation.

Then of course there's the other problem ... pitchers with a recent ERA of 9.00 shutting down the Pirates offense. And it surprises no one.

What a mess ... and what a disaster of a homestand.