Financial Flexibility- What are the facts?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

1215030B0512555920070D01090C4E030F0D600 wrote: Quail - really good work, thank you. Of course I'm sure the FO would say your #s have no basis in reality and that makes any debate more difficult, some might say any debate is moot. But I'm guessing there is some truth in Forbes work. So... 

I'm not sure you can use KC as a comparison in the way you did.  Not surprisingly the Royals value sky-rocketed after the WS. They may not experience any material growth this year.

A better comparison, it seems to me, is the 2014-2015 Royals verses 2014-2015 Pirates.  2014, the Pirates would have a much larger value compared to the Royals  and I'm going to guess revenue and operating income much closer to, and very possibly greater than, the Royals. 

In other words, 2014-2015 the Royals made an investment into the team that would appear to be an outlier compared to their  historic financials. 

If I'm right, why and how did the Royals outspend the Pirates in 2015? 

Also, why is the pirate debt so large??

Boy howdy Va, those are great questions! I hope someone here might have some answers.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

414A424E4B4A511412655C444D4A4A0B464A250 wrote: Still doesn't mean teams should over spend for players because the money is there.  For example, the Liriano deal was great at first (3/39) but it turned out bad this year.  So, they found a team who would take him.  I do find it funny any time they deal a high priced player it was because of money and not talent (the return or decrease in talent).

Good work, Quail. 

I also agree with Bobster.  Not until the team is sold do we know how much it is worth.  Go try to sell your car for the Blue Book Value, you won't get it. 

No. The Liriano deal was great overall. A huge value signing for last year. Shortly after it turned south, we jettisoned the contract at the cost of two top 100 prospects, who we payed over 2 million dollars in signing bonuses to a few years ago

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Always twisted that way and no one really knows. But since Nutting was cheap from 2002 to 2011 he is always cheap. Ugh!
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

262D25292C2D367375023B232A2D2D6C212D420 wrote: Always twisted that way and no one really knows. But since Nutting was cheap from 2002 to 2011 he is always cheap. Ugh!

No, Quail's post is the question: what is a reasonable return for owning a major league team?  Is Bob Nutting acting reasonable or not?

I like to compare the Royals, who's owner was also notorious for being cheap.  How were they able to jump payroll so much compared to the Pirates?  Fair question.