Closer - need a new one?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Closer - need a new one?

Post by Quail »

1C30383F3413243222510 wrote: Quail - Can I assume that you were being sarcastic?

Mostly yes.

The Pirates will not sign either one. It's not in Huntington's DNA to do such a thing, but it's not because they won't be able to afford to sign either of them.

A glance at the upcoming class of starting pitcher free agents reveals a very weak group. There's not one pitcher among them that is even close to Chapman's or Melancon's pedigree as a relief pitcher.

If the Pirates go with some combination of Cole, Taillon, Kuhl, Brault, Glasnow, Williams, Hutchison and Duncan for a starting rotation (with Kingham and Cumptom available by mid-2017 coming off of surgery and ready to provide depth) they won't need to sign a FA starter beyond perhaps a tryout type of contract like they did with Matt Joyce this past spring.

So without spending money on a FA starter the Pirates could have the money required to sign Chapman or Melancon. We've seen how the price for starting pitching has inflated over the past few years. By comparison relief pitchers might still be a relative bargain. Maybe.

Of course there are just too many possible strategies that NH could employ this off season to accurately predict how things may unfold but my feeling is that signing either Chapman or Melancon isn't one of them.
steve49

Closer - need a new one?

Post by steve49 »

717A727E7B7A612422556C747D7A7A3B767A150 wrote: Rivero is a lefty too.

I normally don't like LH closers but Rivero has that great change that is way tougher on righties. I believe RH hitting around .170 this year.. LH around .300. Also he's the only guy on roster with closer stuff. Maybe Nicasio would be next ?
CutchisaBoss

Closer - need a new one?

Post by CutchisaBoss »

4641504350010C350 wrote: Rivero is a lefty too.

I normally don't like LH closers but Rivero has that great change that is way tougher on righties. I believe RH hitting around .170 this year.. LH around .300. Also he's the only guy on roster with closer stuff. Maybe Nicasio would be next ?

I agree Nicasio would probably be next in line. The bullpen is a real issue tho and we need to do something considering Felix will likely be off to greener pastures in the offseason. I think there's a chance one of the young starters ends up there.
dmetz

Closer - need a new one?

Post by dmetz »

There's no chance Rivero would work as a closer until he reduces his baserunners.
steve49

Closer - need a new one?

Post by steve49 »

7E48495E55544E5C7F524E4E3D0 wrote: Rivero is a lefty too.[/quote

I agree Nicasio would probably be next in line.  The bullpen is a real issue tho and we need to do something considering Felix will likely be off to greener pastures in the offseason.  I think there's a chance one of the young starters ends up there.

Other than Glasnow , I can't think of a young starter that would "fit the bill." Plus there have been questions regarding Glasnow's "mental makeup." Then again with all the pitching talent the Pirates seem to have in the minors , it's hard to believe we don't have a good replacement ready to step in.
SammyKhalifa

Closer - need a new one?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Why don't we give it the rest of the year and see if these bad outings were the exception or the rule?
steve49

Closer - need a new one?

Post by steve49 »

62505C5C487A59505D585750310 wrote: Why don't we give it the rest of the year and see if these bad outings were the exception or the rule? 

Yes we can do that or we can discuss if he looks to be a top tier closer going forward. I guess that what fans do on forums ? IMO his FB is no longer the dominating pitch it was in 2014-2015... hence the less than stellar results. Sure if he's lights out in the final 20 something games , it will be at the least .. less of an issue .
BucsFaninGA

Closer - need a new one?

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Why not give Trevor Williams a go at closer? Didn't he pitch in that role in College?

Beat'em Bucs
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Closer - need a new one?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Nicasio should not be an option.

I like Watson. I just don't like that he is left-handed.
steve49

Closer - need a new one?

Post by steve49 »

As I was saying earlier , Watson has lost velocity . He was at 92 last night. That's fine if you have a cutter like Melancon and or another dominating pitch. It's just not the case with Watson. Before this year , he was hitting 95 . You could consider him with that velocity . At around 92 , he's just a guy.