Who will be N.Huntington's Reclamation Project thisoffseason

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6A4C4D5A4C5C2F0 wrote: The Bucs got David Whitehead for Charlie Morton. He was beyond terrible last year.
Sounds like a fair trade. :)
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

6676774056565A350 wrote: I think Hutchinson ends up in the bullpen and groomed to close .

He makes the team next year in some shape or form.

He has stuff

His track record suggests the opposition loves his stuff.

NH continues to beat the he'll be in the rotation drum in interviews.

“The game begins and ends with starting pitching,” Huntington said. “ ... Part of the motivation for [Drew] Hutchison at the trade deadline was the awareness of a thin starting pitching free-agent market and what the trade costs would be.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... 1610030093
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7F5E4B427A43584B5E4F2A0 wrote: I think Hutchinson ends up in the bullpen and groomed to close .

He has stuff

“The game begins and ends with starting pitching,” Huntington said. “ ... Part of the motivation for [Drew] Hutchison at the trade deadline was the awareness of a thin starting pitching free-agent market and what the trade costs would be.”

statements like that make me wonder about why they felt Liriano had to go. As others have speculated, maybe a big part of reasoning was his personality although I don't remember any concerns about that when he pitched well.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Is Hutchison slated as the 2017 whipping boy?

I expect him to be in the rotation. He has made 74 starts and is only 25 years old.

Cole, FA/Trade, Taillon, Kuhl, Hutchison.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Since the thread is about potential FA pitchers we might pursue as reclamation projects ... I'll take Doug Fister.

And whether we get him or not will depend on the length of the contract (similar to Nova's case I would guess). Can we get him for 3 with a buy-out for the 4th. Or will another team offer 4 guaranteed? Length of contract seems to be our bug-a-boo and may end up the same in the Nova negotiations.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6D666E6267667D383E497068616666276A66090 wrote: Is Hutchison slated as the 2017 whipping boy?

I expect him to be in the rotation.  He has made 74 starts and is only 25 years old. 

Cole, FA/Trade, Taillon, Kuhl, Hutchison.

I have already put him as a whipping boy.

If he is in our rotation, it is counterproductive

30-21 career record, 4.93 ERA, 59 HR in 417.2 innings and a 1.365 WHIP. Not good.

Do you honestly think NH will get someone better than Taillon to fill the number two spot? You have more faith in him than me.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

05243138003922312435500 wrote: I think Hutchinson ends up in the bullpen and groomed to close .

He has stuff

This is a failed spin to everyone who follows baseball. So, they acquire him when our pitching was injured and dreadful, then why not start him instead of send him down to Indy? He simply wasn't good enough to start for us.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't get caught up in the rotation slots as most. I don't believe in the numbers. If all healthy, the top four would get pretty much the same amount of starts. The Pirates will have enough talent to stretch out even more starts in 2017.

I do expect a veteran to be brought in. I also think Taillon is the best starter in the organization going forward. He is a special talent. Taillon can become the "ace" next year and I wouldn't be shocked one bit.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I think they looked at 2017 for Hutchison. They said they wanted to work him. Apparently it takes time for Searage to sprinkle pixie dust, but they think the job will be done (or at least well enough along to use Hutchison) next year.

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

What about Edinson Volquez? He is a free agent again. He would make a good #3 starter  behind Cole and Tallion.

Beat'em Bucs