Who would you add to the Bullpen in 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0B1B1A2D3B3B37580 wrote: Melancon would be cheaper than a starter at last year's rates.

There are no top starters in the free agent market.  Nova was offered a deal, he either said No or is still deciding.

I don't think Watson is a Closer material.  Solid pitcher, but I want a righty.  There are more right-handed hitters in baseball.

And the question was: who would I add to the bullpen?  I answered as I know Melancon is available.

I too don't think Watson is the answer as a closer.  Think he is an 8th inning set up guy.  However, there is no reason to bring in Melancon at the money he will ask for when you have really no interest in bringing in a good starter for a rotation that needs it more.

Just because that hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean other positions can't be discussed. This thread is about the Bullpen. So, the Pirates shouldn't bring in any bullpen arms until a starter is brought in? Is that what you are saying?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3338303C3938236660172E363F3838793438570 wrote: Melancon would be cheaper than a starter at last year's rates.

There are no top starters in the free agent market.  Nova was offered a deal, he either said No or is still deciding.

I don't think Watson is a Closer material.  Solid pitcher, but I want a righty.  There are more right-handed hitters in baseball.

And the question was: who would I add to the bullpen?  I answered as I know Melancon is available.

I too don't think Watson is the answer as a closer.  Think he is an 8th inning set up guy.  However, there is no reason to bring in Melancon at the money he will ask for when you have really no interest in bringing in a good starter for a rotation that needs it more.

Just because that hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean other positions can't be discussed.  This thread is about the Bullpen.  So, the Pirates shouldn't bring in any bullpen arms until a starter is brought in?  Is that what you are saying?

With the Pirates it is probably either or. I can't see them paying Melancon or another reliever 10 million or so and also bringing in a starter that makes that much or higher.

I also wonder about the financial flexibility and the idea of no player should be x amount of payroll. That seems rigid to me and the Bucs didn't seem to mind signing Cervelli to deal where he will make about 9% of payroll.

I wonder if NH expected payroll to increase when he signed Harrison and Cervelli to their long term deals.
thessy

Post by thessy »

1000013620202C430 wrote:

Partially just playing devils advocate here, but do they really need a starter more than a closer? Over the course of a season, the best pitchers in baseball generate 4-6 more wins for a team than a league average pitcher filling that spot in the rotation. $10 million is not going to land the Pirates an ace, but maybe they get lucky and get someone who outperforms their pay grade and generates 4 wins (which would be higher than Arrieta, Strasburg, or David Price generated last year). Is that really more valuable than a good closer? I know it's not so black and white and I don't have any numbers to support this, but I would assume the difference between a good closer and bad closer could easily reach or surpass that number.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

405C5147474D340 wrote:

Partially just playing devils advocate here, but do they really need a starter more than a closer?  Over the course of a season, the best pitchers in baseball generate 4-6 more wins for a team than a league average pitcher filling that spot in the rotation.  $10 million is not going to land the Pirates an ace, but maybe they get lucky and get someone who outperforms their pay grade and generates 4 wins (which would be higher than Arrieta, Strasburg, or David Price generated last year).  Is that really more valuable than a good closer?  I know it's not so black and white and I don't have any numbers to support this, but I would assume the difference between a good closer and bad closer could easily reach or surpass that number.

that is good point about a closer. One factor though is how big a lead the closer is protecting. Mike Williams had horrible stats but got lots of saves. If a team can have more than a one run lead it is easier on the closer.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Another argument in favor of signing a bonafide closer (such as Melancon) is our potentially young starting staff. If in fact the Pirates end up with mostly young and inexperienced starters, it likely will be a season comprised of a struggle for consistency. Most young starters will have plenty of games where they struggle, and a fewer number of starts where they will shine. Having a good closer to successfully finish the games that one of the young starters has performed well in could be a boon to the youngsters psyche. Similarly it might be an obstacle to the development of our young starters to go out and pitch well all the while knowing that there is no reliable closer in the bullpen to watch their back and to deliver that "W".
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Fellas, I agree with you. I think a pitcher with experience closing would be a big boost to the bullpen...Curious to see what NH does in the days to come. Know they looked at former Royals closer-Holland.

Enjoy the interaction with the board!

Happy Veterans Day to All,

Bucs Fan in GA 8-)
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I wouldn't be stunned if they kick the tires on Daniel Hudson and put him in the pen.