What Led you to Becoming a Pirates Fan?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Born and raised in North Carolina.

First and foremost -- Loved Rennie Stennett (the Great Rennie Stennett!). I played 2b way back then and he was the player I always pretended to be.

Then started following the team closely in '77, '78 and '79.

Also started listening to games on the radio, which I could get after dark on KDKA 1020. Could listen in my room or go out in the driveway and get it pretty clear on the car radio.

Great memories ...
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Drugs and alcohol.

No wait.....that's how I've been able to maintain being a Pirate fan.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Willie Stargell
Quail

Post by Quail »

I grew up in Pittsburgh. Every summer from age 6-12 I used to stay with my grandparents for a couple of weeks. My grandfather (who had been a semi-pro ballplayer in his younger days) would take me to Forbes field for any home games that the Pirates played during my stay. He taught me about the game and the great players of the Pittsburgh teams like Honus Wagner, The Waner brothers, and Josh Gibson (he was a big fan of the Homestead Grays). I watched a young Clemente with awe when my grandfather told me he'd be one of the best Pirates ever before he was finished playing. Those memories are some of the fondest of my life. I was hooked on the Pirates forever.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

born and raised in what is now a suburb (southern Butler County).

My Dad followed the Pirates and I listened along. It was just natural to be a fan, no conscious decision was made on my part.
LumberCo

Post by LumberCo »

my late father was a Pirate fan, spent many a summer afternoon/night listening to the Bucs on his transistor radio on the kitchen porch. miss those times :(
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Was a kid in Charleroi, PA. My first memories are of all the adults talking about how Maz beat the Yankees in 1960. That excited me so much I couldn't get enough Pirates from that day until...well...now! So my Pirate memories essentially began with 1961. Then I became obsessed with researching the 1960 season which ultimately led to me writing my book about it. I became a Steeler fan at the same time and my all time favorites still include John Henry Johnson, Buddy Dial, Bobby Layne, Myron Pottios, Brady Keys and Big Daddy Lipscomb.
azbucfan

Post by azbucfan »

Alley to Mazeroski to Clendenon

Best years of my childhood in southwestern PA. Mazeroski was my hero
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2F342C3B2D282F204E0 wrote: Alley to Mazeroski to Clendenon

Best years of my childhood in southwestern PA.  Mazeroski was my hero
Loved teaming Alley with Maz! And Clink was a good bat. What part of SW PA?
azbucfan

Post by azbucfan »

664B46575041561615240 wrote: Alley to Mazeroski to Clendenon

Best years of my childhood in southwestern PA.  Mazeroski was my hero
Loved teaming Alley with Maz! And Clink was a good bat. What part of SW PA?

Spent 1960 to 65 in Beaver Falls then 1965 to 1970 in Monongahela. Dad worked in Charleroi. Then had to move to upstate New York and the land of the dreaded Mets fan