Starting Pitching Depth

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CutchisaBoss

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by CutchisaBoss »

0B1632303E5B0 wrote: Cole, IMO, is not a #1 starter.  Very Kip Wells like.  Great arm that hitters can hit.

C'mon.  That's ridiculous.  Kip Wells had two seasons in his career with an ERA under 4.  Cole has done it every year.  And he finished 4th in CY voting just a year and a half ago.

I think it could be fair to argue that he may not be a #1 (though I disagree if he is healthy), but comparing him to Kip Wells takes away your validity.

Well said...he posted a 2.60 era over 200+ in 2015...then was off to a 2.77 start to 2016 before gettin hurt...not to mention, he dominated the mighty Cubs in 8 innings the only time he faced them.

Gerrit Cole is a number one, no doubt about it...health is his only hurdle...
Quail

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by Quail »

I like Kuhl, Glasnow and Kingham as the guys who could make for a quality No. 5 starter in a very good rotation. They've all got some positives. They've all got some warts as well, but I think there's decent odds of the Pirates' getting above average production out of their No. 5 spot when all they need is one of those three to take a step forward this year.

I still believe they need another quality veteran starter to make their rotation as good as it should be to compete for the post season. Quintana would certainly accomplish that but even someone of lesser pedigree could effectively allow our "depth" to only have to cover one spot in the rotation and not two.
ChitownBucco

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by ChitownBucco »

2123393F294C0 wrote: Cumpton, I think, is early in recovery from surgery. I don't expect him to contribute at the MLB level this year. Kuhl, Hutchison, and Kingham would be the main ones I'd expect to see.

he had tommy john surgery in march of 2015

unless he had another surgery, he is very late in his recovery. I'd think that since we didn't hear about him at all in 2016 that he must have had major setbacks or just didn't have anything left after he tried to comeback
ChitownBucco

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by ChitownBucco »

Tyler Eppler?

I could see him getting a chance at the big league level if injuries provided an opportunity
mouse

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by mouse »

Cumpton had a second surgery - shoulder surgery - in September of 2015, and missed last year. This will be his first year back in live action.
rucker59@gmail.com

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

2E252D2124253E7B7D0A332B2225256429254A0 wrote: What are people's take on the young starting pitching depth?

Outside of Glasnow, not many are hyped or projected to be top of the rotation guys. 

I expect some guys to pitch for the Pirates.  Either in the bullpen or make a spot start.  Two will make the rotation if no one else is brought in.

Williams

Cumpton

Brault

Santana

Kuhl

Hutchison

Partch

Duncan

Kingham

Dickson

(am I missing anyone)

You hope that out of 10 options a couple step up. Slotting one of these guys at #5 is probably serviceable. Slotting two at #4 and #5 is unacceptable.

Thus, assuming no one else is brought in, Glasnow suddenly becomes critical. If he can be a MLB starter THIS year the Pirates could have something. Otherwise this is a fail.

In any event- too many hopes and wishes for this team once again, starting with Cole. There is a massive amount of pressure on him this year. The Pirates desperately need him to be a dominating #1. I'm not confident he's going to be anywhere close to that level. Pirates sail on to victory or sink miserably based on Cole and Glasnow.
Bobster21

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by Bobster21 »

They have Cole, Taillon and Nova. They have never seemed too concerned about 4-5, as evidenced by Locke, Morton, Nicasio, Vogelsong. So I don't expect any significant move at this point to acquire a proven pitcher unless it is another reclamation project. Dog noted about 10 possibles and I suspect the Pirates will be content with whichever 2 of those rise to the top of the heap in ST.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

604B4A574C544D615640404C230 wrote: Tyler Eppler?

I could see him getting a chance at the big league level if injuries provided an opportunity

I didn't add Eppler as I think he is young and is a little far away from the majors. Especially, with the guys I listed in front of him. Eppler is definitely a player to watch.
mouse

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by mouse »

I'm still expecting to see a trade or two once things settle in at Spring Training. Ten potential pitchers at AAA for two slots seems to make for a top-heavy minor league system. I could see them trading one or more of those guys, if they don't see a near-term future for them as starters or relievers at the MLB level for the Pirates.

They also seem to have a lot of left-handed relievers. I can't see them using them all, so there is value there to realize. But I agree - I don't see any major trade for a top starter.
PMike

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by PMike »

3532242C2235727E07202A262E2B6924282A470 wrote: What are people's take on the young starting pitching depth?

Outside of Glasnow, not many are hyped or projected to be top of the rotation guys. 

I expect some guys to pitch for the Pirates.  Either in the bullpen or make a spot start.  Two will make the rotation if no one else is brought in.

Williams

Cumpton

Brault

Santana

Kuhl

Hutchison

Partch

Duncan

Kingham

Dickson

(am I missing anyone)

You hope that out of 10 options a couple step up.  Slotting one of these guys at #5 is probably serviceable.  Slotting two at #4 and #5 is unacceptable. 

Thus, assuming no one else is brought in, Glasnow suddenly becomes critical. If he can be a MLB starter THIS year the Pirates could have something. Otherwise this is a fail. 

In any event- too many hopes and wishes for this team once again, starting with Cole. There is a massive amount of pressure on him this year.  The Pirates desperately need him to be a dominating #1.  I'm not confident he's going to be anywhere close to that level.  Pirates sail on to victory or sink miserably based on Cole and Glasnow.   

I don't know that it is fair to put the Pirates' success on Glasnow. I'm one of his biggest supporters around here and I think he will work out the worts and be really good. But, he's a rookie. Plus, many of the posters around here wanted to trade him. He's a guy who will be fighting for the 5th spot in the rotation. No team's ultimate success rests on their 5th starter.

Cole on the other hand...