Ownership article

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Ownership article

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I still think to be blunt about things Nutting thinks he can win with this current team. That is what he means mostly in this entire article. He has NO baseball knowledge overall. I think he saw Oakland do it 15 years ago and thinks he can. He raises tickets prices and the fans still come out for second best. Not to beat a dead horse but I think his main interests are his newspaper and Seven Springs. The Pirates are a tax write off for him. If they stay mediocre and he makes a profit. Great. If they operate at a loss, he writes that off and still makes money. I really don't think this guy cares to win because he doesn't have too and his heart isn't about baseball.
SammyKhalifa

Ownership article

Post by SammyKhalifa »

If he didn't care about winning, I have serious doubts that he would own a baseball team. There are way easier and more profitable ways for rich people to save money than running it through such a rube goldberg machine.
Ecbucs

Ownership article

Post by Ecbucs »

Part of FC and NH's job should be to convince Nutting what additional resources are needed to get to next level.
JollyRoger

Ownership article

Post by JollyRoger »

As a long time Nutting basher; this article just validated again what I have continuously stated about the man. We all agree he wants to win. But wanting something to happen and providing the resources to make it happen are 2 different things. FC and NH have been constrained by a shoestring budget. Until they are given a median payroll; they will always have to catch lightening in a bottle; i.e. Hit on every draft, hit on reclamation projects, backfill the loss of our free agents with comparable ML ready players.

One last comment. I read where the Marlins price tag was 1.6 Billion! Mr Nutting has made in equity; hundreds of millions of dollars on the appreciation of the Pirates Franchise.

It truly is time for him to put his money where his mouth is!!
johnfluharty

Ownership article

Post by johnfluharty »

Being competitive year to year with our revenue is doable as they have proven, but being dominant year to year will require very good luck in terms of players having good years or will require improved revenue so we can carry a higher payroll. Nutting will not let the team operate in the red.
Quail

Ownership article

Post by Quail »

764448485C6E4D44494C4344250 wrote: If he didn't care about winning, I have serious doubts that he would own a baseball team.  There are way easier and more profitable ways for rich people to save money than running it through such a rube goldberg machine. 

According to Forbes Magazine Nutting purchased the Pirates in 1996 for $92M. In March of 2016 the franchise was valued at $975M. In two decades Nutting's investment has increased ten-fold. I don't know how 'easy' ownership has been for Nutting but I can't imagine a much more profitable investment. A 10% annual return on investment (a figure most investors would readily salivate to achieve) would have produced a value of $619M.
SteadyFreddy

Ownership article

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Until the guy spends more money and makes the 1 or 2 moves necessary to get this team over the hump I will stick to my opinions. Maybe he will have another chance this season to prove me wrong if things happen to go right and fall into place with this team.
Ecbucs

Ownership article

Post by Ecbucs »

080D0A0C040E170A0310161B620 wrote: Being competitive year to year with our revenue is doable as they have proven, but being dominant year to year will require very good luck in terms of players having good years or will require improved revenue so we can carry a higher payroll.  Nutting will not let the team operate in the red. 
As we all know if you go in red once you are likely to stay there