Pirates 2017 draft slot

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Pirates 2017 draft slot

Post by IABucFan »

I do wish baseball set their draft order based on overall finish, not regular season record. So, two years ago when the Royals won the World Series, we had the second to last pick each round because we had 98 wins, second best in MLB to the Cards. yet we were eliminated in the WC game. Seems to me that the WS winner should have the last pick, runner up second to last pick, LCS loses pick 28th and 27th, LDS loses 26, 25, 24, 23, WC loses 22, and 21, and then order of finish.
Ecbucs

Pirates 2017 draft slot

Post by Ecbucs »

1A1211263015323D530 wrote: I do wish baseball set their draft order based on overall finish, not regular season record.  So, two years ago when the Royals won the World Series, we had the second to last pick each round because we had 98 wins, second best in MLB to the Cards.  yet we were eliminated in the WC game.  Seems to me that the WS winner should have the last pick, runner up second to last pick, LCS loses pick 28th and 27th, LDS loses 26, 25, 24, 23, WC loses 22, and 21, and then order of finish.

yeah, this makes sense to me. I would like them to figure out a way to have more balanced schedules too. (which I guess went out the door when third division was added and interleague play).
wtmjkj@verizon.net

Pirates 2017 draft slot

Post by wtmjkj@verizon.net »

70787B4C5A7F5857390 wrote: I do wish baseball set their draft order based on overall finish, not regular season record.  So, two years ago when the Royals won the World Series, we had the second to last pick each round because we had 98 wins, second best in MLB to the Cards.  yet we were eliminated in the WC game.  Seems to me that the WS winner should have the last pick, runner up second to last pick, LCS loses pick 28th and 27th, LDS loses 26, 25, 24, 23, WC loses 22, and 21, and then order of finish.

Probably mean more that way. In 2015, the win totals of the three top NLC teams were inflated some by playing a bunch of games against the two crappy teams (Mil & Cinn). Also, teams that go further in the post-season get a big boost in revenue, which helps them with ML payroll. If the idea of the draft order is to increase parity, the WS teams should draft last.
wtmjkj@verizon.net

Pirates 2017 draft slot

Funny, you used to be able to edit your posts, but now I don't see a way to do that.

Anyway, what I meant to say in the previous post is that win totals can be heavily dependent on a team's schedule, so they're not necessarily the best indicator of a team's ability.
Bobster21

Pirates 2017 draft slot

Post by Bobster21 »

7C7F666160614B7D6E796271646525656E7F0B0 wrote: Funny, you used to be able to edit your posts, but now I don't see a way to do that.

Anyway, what I meant to say in the previous post is that win totals can be heavily dependent on a team's schedule, so they're not necessarily the best indicator of a team's ability.
There should be a button for "modify" along with the other buttons (like "quote", etc) when posting. But IIRC, that happened to me once and was corrected by logging out and logging back in.
johnfluharty

Pirates 2017 draft slot

Post by johnfluharty »

All of my admin options vanish pretty regularly and I have not been able to figure out the cause other than possibly just being idle for a while. Each morning, though, I have to log out and back in to get them.
wtmjkj@verizon.net

Pirates 2017 draft slot

I logged out and logged back in and the modify button (and a couple other ones that were missing) appeared.