Big blow for the Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Big blow for the Cards

Post by IABucFan »

4B4340776144636C020 wrote: I actually like the Cards rotation.  I think we'll see a better Adam Wainwright.  Lance Lynn is back from TJ surgery.  Carlos Martinez is still a true #1.  Assuming Wacha is healthy, I'd take their rotation over ours.  It will be a major dogfight with them.  But, I like our rotation top to bottom better than theirs.

Sorry...this should have said I like their rotation better than ours, but our lineup.
gileszee

Big blow for the Cards

Post by gileszee »

Our luck...the Cardinals will trade for Quintana and he wins 20 games.
IABucFan

Big blow for the Cards

Post by IABucFan »

3A3431382E2738385D0 wrote: Our luck...the Cardinals will trade for Quintana and he wins 20 games.

I can't see that happening. Cards don't have the farm system to pull it off.
Tintin

Big blow for the Cards

Post by Tintin »

6D6566514762454A240 wrote: Our luck...the Cardinals will trade for Quintana and he wins 20 games.

I can't see that happening.  Cards don't have the farm system to pull it off.

It was funny ready the national media's take on this.

Pirates should give up Meadows, Glasnow and another big piece. The Cards should give up whatever they think is fair.
SCBucco

Big blow for the Cards

Post by SCBucco »

674140574151220 wrote: They traded away a starter from last year too.  How bad is Wacha injured?

The Cardinals didn't add much to their 86 win, missing playoffs season of 2016.   

and Holiday is gone while Dexter Fowler has been added.  The Bucs should easily beat the Cards out in 2017.

Let's hold the fort with the Bucs should easily beat out the Cards in 2017. We have issues of our own. We didn't do anything to improve the roster at all. In 2015, STL only had three starts from Wainwright; missed Holliday for a good portion of the season; Molina was out for some games too, but they found a way. STL always overcomes trouble it seems. They will make a good sound move.
SCBucco

Big blow for the Cards

Post by SCBucco »

1D20273D2027490 wrote: Our luck...the Cardinals will trade for Quintana and he wins 20 games.

I can't see that happening.  Cards don't have the farm system to pull it off.

It was funny ready the national media's take on this.

Pirates should give up Meadows, Glasnow and another big piece.  The Cards should give up whatever they think is fair. 

Yes, the media is dumb ... Pittsburgh shouldn't even consider giving up prospects that might not amount to anything for a good quality arm for the rotation - one that is proven.  People get so wrapped up on prospects and think they will automatically thrive.  This organization has had a ton of busts.  I would have welcomed a deal to get Quintana. I'm very sorry for my sarcastic nature. However, there comes a time and place when an organization has to step up and bring in talent if it wants to win a title. If the status quo is fine, continue to go after reclamation projects and rely on prospects to develop. I truly think our window of opportunity is closing. Once Cole and our OF are all gone, what will we have to show for it? Three wild card games and one series against STL in 25 years?
mouse

Big blow for the Cards

Post by mouse »

Here's an interesting Cardinals fan quote from mlbtr, on the possibility of trading for Quintana, where people were suggesting they could replace their lost pitcher from within --

"But why would we want to just spray and pray year after year?? Why not just get some certainty. A trade for Quintana would totally flip the rotations’ expectancy on its head. But no, use a few failed and injured starters. That’s real smart, maybe if we’re lucky we’ll just miss the playoffs again."

Sound at all familiar?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Big blow for the Cards

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7B6B6A5D4B4B47280 wrote:

Let's hold the fort with the Bucs should easily beat out the Cards in 2017.  We have issues of our own.  We didn't do anything to improve the roster at all.  In 2015, STL only had three starts from Wainwright; missed Holliday for a good portion of the season; Molina was out for some games too, but they found a way.  STL always overcomes trouble it seems.  They will make a good sound move.

There are four new starters in the rotation. There is a new 1B. There is a new bench. There is a new Closer and back end of the bullpen.

That seems like a lot to me. Especially, since the rotation was the problem last year.

I would never think the Cardinals don't have a chance, but how can one say the Pirates did nothing?
fjk090852-7

Big blow for the Cards

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Cardinals have been very successful over the past several years, but players like Wainwright and Molina are no longer the young players they were a few years ago. Yes they did sign Fowler who has been a tough out for the Bucs, but this season maybe the first year where the Cards take a step backwards in the division.
notes34

Big blow for the Cards

Post by notes34 »

4A41494540415A1F196E574F464141004D412E0 wrote:

Let's hold the fort with the Bucs should easily beat out the Cards in 2017.  We have issues of our own.  We didn't do anything to improve the roster at all.  In 2015, STL only had three starts from Wainwright; missed Holliday for a good portion of the season; Molina was out for some games too, but they found a way.  STL always overcomes trouble it seems.  They will make a good sound move.

There are four new starters in the rotation.  There is a new 1B.  There is a new bench.  There is a new Closer and back end of the bullpen.

That seems like a lot to me.  Especially, since the rotation was the problem last year. 

I would never think the Cardinals don't have a chance, but how can one say the Pirates did nothing?

Is the roster any better? So far I think it may be addition by subtraction.