4/3 Game Thread - Opening Day

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I see today in the paper that Cutch's dad says Andrew is still very hurt about the Pirates trying to trade him so hard in the offseason. If this still is true then Cutch pretty much needs to get over it. A lot of fans including myself aren't going to be too patient with Cutch if he has another bad start this season and hits under .200 in April. I think its critical that Cutch get off to a good start this season and not struggle because the longer he does the more pressure he is going to put on himself and I think the worse he is gonna be.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

686F79717F682F235A7D777B7376347975771A0 wrote: All is right with the world today.....

But come Thursday and the Pirates are 0-3 everything will be back to normal.  8-)

Tough way to open the season.

I think we take 2 of 3, including a win today!

Seriously?!   I hope, but do not feel good about this series. 

After this series there'll only be 159 games left to make up any list ground.

I have no solid reasoning for it. I think they'll take today though, and then after that it's just a matter of going 50/50. :)
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Frazier LF

Marte CF

Cutch RF

Polanco DH

Freese 3rd

Cervelli C

Bell 1st

Harrison 2nd

Mercer SS
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

41667773766B54607776766B120 wrote: I see today in the paper that Cutch's dad says Andrew is still very hurt about the Pirates trying to trade him so hard in the offseason. If this still is true then Cutch pretty much needs to get over it. A lot of fans including myself aren't going to be too patient with Cutch if he has another bad start this season and hits under .200 in April. I think its critical that Cutch get off to a good start this season and not struggle because the longer he does the more pressure he is going to put on himself and I think the worse he is gonna be.

If he was thinking he'd be a Pirate for his whole career, then he was a bit naïve about how modern baseball works, at least for teams with a less than $200M payroll.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4540474149435A474E5D5B562F0 wrote: I see today in the paper that Cutch's dad says Andrew is still very hurt about the Pirates trying to trade him so hard in the offseason. If this still is true then Cutch pretty much needs to get over it. A lot of fans including myself aren't going to be too patient with Cutch if he has another bad start this season and hits under .200 in April. I think its critical that Cutch get off to a good start this season and not struggle because the longer he does the more pressure he is going to put on himself and I think the worse he is gonna be.

If he was thinking he'd be a Pirate for his whole career, then he was a bit naïve about how modern baseball works, at least for teams with a less than $200M payroll.
Yeah, it's hard to know what to believe. Cutch is a smart guy and surely understands the business of MLB as well as the financial history of his own team. I guess if I were him, I might be a little hurt but would still recognize that this is not at all unusual in the world of MLB.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1C3B2A2E2B36093D2A2B2B364F0 wrote: Frazier LF

Marte CF

Cutch RF

Polanco DH

Freese 3rd

Cervelli C

Bell 1st

Harrison 2nd

Mercer SS
Seems like a good hitting lineup. Even the bottom third can be productive.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

And with respect to Cutch, who has been a great player for the Pirates for most of his career.

According to his father, he is hut that the Pirates tried to trade him. Well --- Andrew is now 2 years from free agency. Assuming he bounces back and plays/hits well, should we fans begrudge him if he chooses to depart Pittsburgh because the Bucs only offered him a 4 year deal at $90 mil or so, when another team was willing to offer 5 years at $120 or so?

I love baseball and the sport of baseball. Baseball, however, is also a business. Cutch has rights (and compensation) as an employee that most of us will never experience. Hard working folks lose their jobs, their health insurance (should they be so fortunate to receive health insurance through their jobs) and all too often their houses because of events that they cannot control.

Cutch --- you are a very talented ballplayer. I will always treasure what you have done while you were playing for the Pirates. That said, you have already earned more than most while in their careers, and you have a big opportunity for future big paydays if you perform anything like you have in the past. Please --- don't lament or sulk too much; just play up to your ability and always hustle instead of settling for a single or a double when you could have taken an extra base.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Beat 'em Bucs!!!!
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

hour and a half to go.

I'm unreasonably excited for this season to start.
CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Need some 2 out magic from J-Hay...