Marte and Kang

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte and Kang

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Kang doesn't bother me as much. He was stupid, he could have hurt himself and others. Very bad decision. But it shouldn't affect his job. Do you know how many people get DUIs a day, week, month, year? The DR has drive through bars and many DR players have killed themselves drunk driving over the years. Its a society thing, not baseball related. It really doesn't even tarnish the sport like other crimes (domestic violence, hard drug addiction, etc.).

Marte cheated. He cheated the rules of the game. He cheated himself and hurt his team. He cheated the record books. He cheated to better his opponents.

As long as Marte handles the situation, doesn't deny anything, all will be forgotten. Of course winning will erase many problems too.

I just don't think Kang and Marte should be in the same category. If Kang had a DUI in the states, he would be playing. His visa is the only thing stopping him, not the actual crime.
SammyKhalifa

Marte and Kang

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Three times.

And apparently he covered it up after, as his league in Korea didn't even know the first two times had happened.  It sounds like he tried to do the same on strike #3.
notes34

Marte and Kang

Post by notes34 »

48434B474243581D1B6C554D444343024F432C0 wrote: Kang doesn't bother me as much.  He was stupid, he could have hurt himself and others.  Very bad decision.  But it shouldn't affect his job.  Do you know how many people get DUIs a day, week, month, year?  The DR has drive through bars and many DR players have killed themselves drunk driving over the years.  Its a society thing, not baseball related.  It really doesn't even tarnish the sport like other crimes (domestic violence, hard drug addiction, etc.).

Marte cheated.  He cheated the rules of the game.  He cheated himself and hurt his team.  He cheated the record books.  He cheated to better his opponents.

As long as Marte handles the situation, doesn't deny anything, all will be forgotten.  Of course winning will erase many problems too. 

I just don't think Kang and Marte should be in the same category.  If Kang had a DUI in the states, he would be playing.  His visa is the only thing stopping him, not the actual crime.
So Kang gets behind the wheel of vehicle and drives intoxicated and you don't have a problem with that? Marte cheats at a game and it bothers you more than someone driving drunk and getting caught for the 3rd time? ::) His visa is being held up because of the crime! I would also expect MLB to suspend him. I'm aware it will set a new precedent but tell me who the last player was to have 3 DUI's.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte and Kang

We are talking about baseball. When it comes to baseball, Kang does not bother me. Marte cheated. Kang was wrong. I thought I was pretty clear in that. I am not saying I approve what he did. Hell no, he was stupid. But it has nothing to do with his employment (baseball). Maybe my wording was bad?

Kang would be the first to be suspended for any DUIs. Look up the DR players and their history. If this happened in Pittsburgh, do you think Kang would still be missing time?

If you got three DUIs, would you lose your job? What if you cooked the books?
Jerseykc

Marte and Kang

Post by Jerseykc »

252E262A2F2E357076013820292E2E6F222E410 wrote: We are talking about baseball.  When it comes to baseball, Kang does not bother me.  Marte cheated.  Kang was wrong.  I thought I was pretty clear in that.  I am not saying I approve what he did.  Hell no, he was stupid.  But it has nothing to do with his employment (baseball).  Maybe my wording was bad?

Kang would be the first to be suspended for any DUIs.  Look up the DR players and their history.  If this happened in Pittsburgh, do you think Kang would still be missing time?

If you got three DUIs, would you lose your job?  What if you cooked the books? 

3 DUI in NJ would be 180 days in jail & lose your driver's license for 10 years - many people would lose their jobs being out that long or just not be able to get to work :(
Jerseykc

Marte and Kang

Post by Jerseykc »

Overall, though, with Kang. Something just doesn't seem right about the guy. I don't know exactly what it is but maybe we'll get the full story in the future.
notes34

Marte and Kang

Post by notes34 »

5A51595550514A0F097E475F565151105D513E0 wrote: We are talking about baseball.  When it comes to baseball, Kang does not bother me.  Marte cheated.  Kang was wrong.  I thought I was pretty clear in that.  I am not saying I approve what he did.  Hell no, he was stupid.  But it has nothing to do with his employment (baseball).  Maybe my wording was bad?

Kang would be the first to be suspended for any DUIs.  Look up the DR players and their history.  If this happened in Pittsburgh, do you think Kang would still be missing time?

If you got three DUIs, would you lose your job?  What if you cooked the books? 
Absolutely I would lose my job, no question. If it happened in Pittsburgh, I'm not sure but I bet Kang would get suspended. Show me an example of another MLB player having 3 DUI's in a relatively short time frame.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte and Kang

If you are not a driver or need your licence on a daily basis, why would you lose your job? I know I work with people with a DUI. As long as they get to work, why is it anyone's business?

I don't have any examples of players with multiple DUIs. There has to be one, right? I do know Matt Bush had three hit-and-runs on the same day he was busted with a DUI. He almost killed a motorcyclist too (that man is still not 100 percent right). Bush got chance after chance with all of his issues after being the number one pick.

Frank Coonelly didn't lose his job. Rob Mackowiak didn't lose his job. I think only one DUI, but still?

PA is 10-days to two years in prison with a $500-$5000 fine and lose licence for a year (quick google search). There is some program too and probation is over after you pay the fine. Kang can afford the fine. Very rare to face a long prison term in PA. December 5th was 135 days ago.

I don't think people realize how common DUIs are in this country. It is even worse in other countries. Very scary. I think baseball needs to come down harder on DUIs, but they haven't yet. The DR is in a sad state. Most of those players killed in car crashes were drinking (Taveras, Ventura).
SCBucco

Marte and Kang

Post by SCBucco »

58535B575253480D0B7C455D545353125F533C0 wrote: Rangers' reliever, Jake Diekman said it best on Twitter:

"You get suspended, you make the minimum for the rest of your career. Take something they care about."

Sean Casey was saying the same thing.  Marte got a huge contract, he doesn't care.  Casey went on saying how players get rewarded for cheating with major deals.  What's going to stop them? 

The Cardinals used a first round pick last year on a 17 year old who failed a PED test.  They paid Delvin Perez $2,222,500 as a signing bonus.  He learned his lesson, huh?

I know Marte is losing over $2 million during his suspension, but he is still well off and will get $2 million in 80 days.  I like Diekman's suggestion.  It would kill their market value and anyone could afford them considering there is no salary cap.

I too like Diekmann's suggestion, but putting that in place would never ever happen.  Do you think the players Union would vote for that?  I don't.  I agree, hit them where it hurts and that is $$$$.  We as a society are very forgiving to pro athletes after something like this.  If Marte returns and bangs a homer out on his first at bat, people will praise him.  The thing that negates that praise is hitting him in the wallet.  It's a great suggestion, but the chances of it happening are nil.

Marte has tremendous talent, but his IQ isn't high. The drug he used made the East German women's swimmers bigger then men back when they dominated. I just wish one time a player who gets caught apologizes and doesn't make the excuses they do about not knowing. He knew.