Centerfield

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Centerfield

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Because Meadows is batting under .200 now and is batting .209 in Triple A. He needs more time in the minors, plus they will save his clock.

Meadows will probably get a cup of coffee this year. He might not even start next year if the current outfield stays intact. He is just turning 22 years old. Plenty of time.

The Pirates need an outfielder now so the season isn't a lost cause. Waiting until July could be a bad decision.
notes34

Centerfield

Post by notes34 »

677F7D7A7A6D7C7B666771140 wrote: For now Josh Bell goes back to outfield, Freeze to 1st, Josh Harrison goes to 3rd and Adam Frazier goes to second, problem solved. Probably our best solution at the moment.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Centerfield

0E0F1405135354600 wrote: For now Josh Bell goes back to outfield, Freeze to 1st, Josh Harrison goes to 3rd and Adam Frazier goes to second, problem solved. Probably our best solution at the moment.

That's what I said and some asked why move six players around. I am all for this.
PMike

Centerfield

Post by PMike »

373C34383D3C276264132A323B3C3C7D303C530 wrote: For now Josh Bell goes back to outfield, Freeze to 1st, Josh Harrison goes to 3rd and Adam Frazier goes to second, problem solved. Probably our best solution at the moment.

That's what I said and some asked why move six players around.  I am all for this.

Except that is predicated on Frazier playing 2nd...which it looks like he can't.

Bell hasn't played the outfield since last year. He is just starting to look comfortable at 1st and you want to move him... :o

Freese is above average defensively at 3rd and you want to move him? :o

Stop moving all of the guys who can play defense for the one who can't (at this point)...Frazier.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Centerfield

Bell's best position is probably the outfield. He hasn't been tested at all this year at 1B.

Harrison is just as good at 3B as he is at 2B. Harrison is probably better than Freese at 3B.

Freese is better than Bell at 1B.

There is just no difference in my opinion. You aren't getting worse at all the positions. The plan all along was for players to move around. I don't like it, but we knew Harrison would play some 3B and maybe OF. We knew Freese would play 1B. We knew Frazier would play 2B, OF and SS. Bell is the only player who is really switching positions. So, three positions got upgrades on defense (3B, 1B, RF).
Bobster21

Centerfield

Post by Bobster21 »

6C6E747264010 wrote: mlbtr has an article saying the Pirates are looking for outfielders.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/04/ ... lders.html

Doesn't look like there's a lot available.

The Orioles could be a possible trade partner. They have a slew of outfielders and all but Adam Jones play part time. Graig Gentry and Joey Rickard (currently on DL) and veteran Chris Dickerson (in AAA) might be available and within Pirates' modest salary structure. The Bucs aren't going to trade for an impact player and they get Marte back in July. They only need a part time outfielder until then.
iabucco

Centerfield

Post by iabucco »

I agree with the OP and would probably leave Bell at first base. He has been ok at first (much better than Pedro) and I want him staying comfortable. I would rotate Frazier and Osuna in right field. I have liked the way Osuna swings the bat and would also give him opportunities at first. Jaso is just a wasted ab right now. I would like to see Hansen elevated over Gosselin. The bench is really diminished and it is disheartening watching some of the bench players come up to pinch hit in crucial situations.
Bobster21

Centerfield

Post by Bobster21 »

353D3E293F3F335C0 wrote: I agree with the OP and would probably leave Bell at first base.  He has been ok at first (much better than Pedro) and I want him staying comfortable.  I would rotate Frazier and Osuna in right field.  I have liked the way Osuna swings the bat and would also give him opportunities at first.  Jaso is just a wasted ab right now.  I would like to see Hansen elevated over Gosselin.  The bench is really diminished and it is disheartening watching some of the bench players come up to pinch hit in crucial situations. 
I think a Frazier/Osuna platoon in RF makes sense. As for the bench, Gosselin and Jaso are not as bad as they currently look. Neither has power. And as of right now they both appear useless. But Gosselin is a career .278 hitter over 475 ABs and Jaso is a career .260 hitter over 1,994 ABs. They are off to bad starts so it looks worse. But I recall 2014 when many clamored for the removal of Josh Harrison who was hitting .208 on May 2 as a pinch hitter and had started only 2 games at that point. But before that season ended he was an all-star and finished a close 2nd in the NL batting title race. Currently, I hate to see Jaso or Gosselin in a game. But I have to remind myself that it's very early and both are better hitters than what we've seen so far. But defense? Well that's another story.