Tony Watson just hired Scott Boras

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

405D797B75100 wrote: I recently saw an article on Fanrag about the Nats' bullpen search.  Didn't even mention Watson, I can imagine they don't want to get hosed again on a reliever rental.

We will trade them Rivero for Turner.

we should include Bastardo in that deal too. Can never have too many lefties.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

604C4443486F584E5E2D0 wrote: I believe the Bucs have been trying to limit the number of innings and appearances that Watson needs to make because he strikes me as a pitcher who is essentially worn out.  I have no confidence in Tony at this point, but I believe using him less makes sense to try and preserve his arm and the likelihood of his success when he does enter a game. 

I also really doubt that anyone would overpay for Watson, but desperation could ultimately sink in with some team.   

Rivero is clearly throwing gas.  100 mph is no longer the question,  The question now is does he hit 102+.   While Rivero has been one of the few bright spots this year, IF he could bring in someone like Turner, the Bucs should look at making the deal.

Lastly, Dusty Baker must be going nuts seeing Rivero enter a game and doing so well when he had him in his grasp last year.  Baker is trying to mix and match folks like Oliver Perez and Albers to try and get outs in the 7th and 8th and Rivero comes in and makes Harper look like Phil Gosselin at the plate. 

Actually agree with a lot of this.

Well, this news of Borass now as his agent basically signifies the end of Watson's tenure with Pittsburgh by the TDL. He won't bring back much in return IMO.

I'm not sure he solves the mess in Washington relative to closer though.  He still gives many of us white knuckles here.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

59525A565352490C0A7D445C555252135E523D0 wrote: Boras means nothing.  I don't underdstand why teams, people are afraid of him.  The player still makes the final decision.  The market will be known or set. 

The draft slotting lost all of Boras's power.  That's where he was good.  The Pirates have dealt with him before and have never not drafted or offered a player a contract because of Boras.

LOL
PMike

Post by PMike »

0B272F282304332535460 wrote: I believe the Bucs have been trying to limit the number of innings and appearances that Watson needs to make because he strikes me as a pitcher who is essentially worn out.  I have no confidence in Tony at this point, but I believe using him less makes sense to try and preserve his arm and the likelihood of his success when he does enter a game. 

I also really doubt that anyone would overpay for Watson, but desperation could ultimately sink in with some team.   

Rivero is clearly throwing gas.  100 mph is no longer the question,  The question now is does he hit 102+.   While Rivero has been one of the few bright spots this year, IF he could bring in someone like Turner, the Bucs should look at making the deal.

Lastly, Dusty Baker must be going nuts seeing Rivero enter a game and doing so well when he had him in his grasp last year.  Baker is trying to mix and match folks like Oliver Perez and Albers to try and get outs in the 7th and 8th and Rivero comes in and makes Harper look like Phil Gosselin at the plate. 

No confidence in him? Is it the 1.62 ERA or the career best 50% ground ball rate that makes you so unnerved?

His velocity is down a very little bit and some other peripheral numbers are a bit down (WHIP, K/9, BB/9), but he isn't not someone to be concerned about. I would expect that they will trade him for a very good haul. He probably has more value than Melancon due to his success in both the 8th inning and closer roles. Plus, he is a lefty.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

64795D5F51340 wrote: I recently saw an article on Fanrag about the Nats' bullpen search.  Didn't even mention Watson, I can imagine they don't want to get hosed again on a reliever rental.

We will trade them Rivero for Turner.

Jacob or Trea? I kid.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

405D797B75100 wrote: I believe the Bucs have been trying to limit the number of innings and appearances that Watson needs to make because he strikes me as a pitcher who is essentially worn out.  I have no confidence in Tony at this point, but I believe using him less makes sense to try and preserve his arm and the likelihood of his success when he does enter a game. 

No confidence in him?  Is it the 1.62 ERA or the career best 50% ground ball rate that makes you so unnerved?

His velocity is down a very little bit and some other peripheral numbers are a bit down (WHIP, K/9, BB/9), but he isn't not someone to be concerned about.  I would expect that they will trade him for a very good haul.  He probably has more value than Melancon due to his success in both the 8th inning and closer roles.  Plus, he is a lefty.

I think you have to look at a few things absent his ERA this year in less than 20 innings. You brought up a few. His WHIP is 1.56. That is horrid. Basically every save he notches, there is a lot of drama. The optics aren't that good. Every outing, almost, is white knuckle express for the fan base.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4858596E7878741B0 wrote: I believe the Bucs have been trying to limit the number of innings and appearances that Watson needs to make because he strikes me as a pitcher who is essentially worn out.  I have no confidence in Tony at this point, but I believe using him less makes sense to try and preserve his arm and the likelihood of his success when he does enter a game. 

No confidence in him?  Is it the 1.62 ERA or the career best 50% ground ball rate that makes you so unnerved?

His velocity is down a very little bit and some other peripheral numbers are a bit down (WHIP, K/9, BB/9), but he isn't not someone to be concerned about.  I would expect that they will trade him for a very good haul.  He probably has more value than Melancon due to his success in both the 8th inning and closer roles.  Plus, he is a lefty.

I think you have to look at a few things absent his ERA this year in less than 20 innings.  You brought up a few.  His WHIP is 1.56.  That is horrid.  Basically every save he notches, there is a lot of drama.  The optics aren't that good.  Every outing, almost, is white knuckle express for the fan base.
I agree. It's just a matter of time before Watson's luck runs out. He has not yet had a clean outing in his 14 appearances. He's given up hits in 12 of 14 games. He's had a walk in 7 of 14  games and a HBP in 3 games.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Being left handed helps him. I can see him being a set up guy for a contender down the stretch.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Consider Watson gone by 7/31 or sooner. Cutch and Watson for Robles?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5D787B7B6E4578707265170 wrote: Consider Watson gone by 7/31 or sooner. Cutch and Watson for Robles?

Deal. Shake Hands Quickly.