Nova versus Fish 6/11 Game Thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6F4843602D0 wrote: They must have had one hell of an organizational meeting when making the closer change. I never would have guessed Hurdle would use Rivero to get four outs in back to back games.
And he did it on 12 pitches today and 14 yesterday.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I just wish they had realized that Rivero was a LOT better than Watson one week ago.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4A687B66656067684B7C6A6A66090 wrote: I just wish they had realized that Rivero was a LOT better than Watson one week ago.
They realized it but the formula was etched in stone and it took a while to chisel a new tablet. ;)
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Guess I gotta keep the game thread going now. I haven't started one in a long time and the last two I start result in wins. Another solid start from Nova who has just been phenomenal for most of the season. Too bad the Bucs didn't nail down the two wins in Baltimore like they should have as they would be 3 games under .500 as opposed to 7 games under .500.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

476A67767160773734050 wrote: I just wish they had realized that Rivero was a LOT better than Watson one week ago.
They realized it but the formula was etched in stone and it took a while to chisel a new tablet.  ;)

There was a lot of nonsense posted in this forum saying Rivero should stay in the 7th or 8th inning role. What I said was your best RP should be your closer. Your BP at least has a chance when you do that . Furthermore you would be giving Rivero a huge financial screwing by not giving him the opportunity to close.
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

Brault threw an inning of relief today for Indy (?)
BenM

Post by BenM »

795E4F4B4E536C584F4E4E532A0 wrote: Guess I gotta keep the game thread going now. I haven't started one in a long time and the last two I start result in wins.

The pressure's on. If we win out, it's 127-35. Should be good enough for the division.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3B3C2D3E2D7C71480 wrote: I just wish they had realized that Rivero was a LOT better than Watson one week ago.
They realized it but the formula was etched in stone and it took a while to chisel a new tablet.  ;)

There was a lot of nonsense posted in this forum saying Rivero should stay in the 7th or 8th inning role. What I said was your best RP should be your closer.  Your BP at least has a chance when you do that . Furthermore you would be giving Rivero a huge financial screwing by not giving him the opportunity to close.
We'll see how much nonsense it was when they start letting games slip away in the 7th and 8th. What I've said all along is that they should use their relievers to the best advantage. If it looks like a game could get away in the 7th or 8th, Rivero may be the only one who can get out of the jam. And if there's still a lead to protect in the 9th after that, I'll take my chances with Nicasio. If there's a 9th inning lead and Rivero is available, let him nail it down. I agree with Hurdle's recent comments that when you save your best reliever to protect a 9th inning lead, you may not get there. I think it's ridiculous to see games get lost in the late innings while the best reliever sits by idly and doesn't participate unless there's a save stat to be had. Watson had to be pulled from the closer role. But I don't want to bury Rivero in that role either. Hurdle says he'll use Nicasio and Rivero in the late innings but not either one in an exclusive role. I hope he means it.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Rivero is looking like an obvious closer, but the real story is Nova. The guy is nothing short of incredible.

What is so impressive his he is "shut down" game after game. Consistent.

When the arguement over Cole "raged", this consistency is what some of us were looking for out of Cole to be a true ACE.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2720363E3027606C153238343C397B363A38550 wrote: Rivero is looking like an obvious closer, but the real story is Nova.  The guy is nothing short of incredible. 

What is so impressive his he is "shut down" game after game.  Consistent.   

When the arguement over Cole "raged", this consistency is what some of us were looking for out of Cole to be a true ACE. 
True. Every team wants to get consistency from their top pitchers. Nova pitches well and he does it consistently. Taillon was fairly consistent so I hope that gives them another top starter. With Cole, they never know if they'll get a good game or a bad one.