Jordan Luplow to be recalled

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

162B2C362B2C420 wrote: I'm pleased with this.  He went from a fringe prospect to a big leaguer.

Some were mention Colin Moran on the trade thread.  This is the kind of player I'd deal for him.

The prospect guys have been rating him much like they did Frazier (and they sure missed there), but he's been pretty solid since he was drafted in the third round a couple of years ago. He struggled a bit at the plate in the Florida State league (still had a .784 OPS) -- but that's a known pitcher's league. He's shown decent power and has a very good BB to K rate.

And yes, he is an OFer. I'm pretty excited as Luplow is a guy that I liked when we drafted him out of Fresno State and have followed fairly closely. I think he has an above average hit tool, I just hope he doesn't get overwhelmed as he has risen so fast this year.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

0E06053224012629470 wrote: I'm pleased with this.  He went from a fringe prospect to a big leaguer.

Some were mention Colin Moran on the trade thread.  This is the kind of player I'd deal for him.

No offense, but if NH called up the Stros and offered Luplow for Moran, with no one else involved, the Astros would think it was a crank call.  ;D

Would love to have Moran, but it will take a lot more than Luplow. I'm thinking maybe Cole.

Why? Short of his draft status and this season, he's done nothing to warrant a Cole in return. He's had a great year, but his previous high in HR's is 10, he strikes out a bunch, and lacks range at 3b (and is slow, but that's no biggie).

I'd be very bummed if this is the type of return we would get for Cole.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

If he can handle the job defensively then I'd stick him out in RF for all 3 games of the Padres series to (A) See what he can do; and (B) Put somebody out there who can hopefully not embarrass himself and make all the routine plays.

I still can't believe this team has willingly made the decision to operate basically the entire season so far with only 2 real outfielders on the roster. It's ridiculous.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Good for Jordan. Hope he does well. Our Front Office amazes me...The Of has cost us some games this season. Good old Clint Hurdle, he tries to keep it positive! I have my doubts about our front office doing anything trade wise...We could contend, but the front office won't do anything to support the club. Oh I wish we had an owner who was so in on the team winning that he would do things to win! Mark Cuban please buy the Pirates! 8-)
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

7D4A5C4C795E515651787E3F0 wrote: Good for Jordan. Hope he does well. Our Front Office amazes me...The Of has cost us some games this season. Good old Clint Hurdle, he tries to keep it positive! I have my doubts about our front office doing anything trade wise...We could contend, but the front office won't do anything to support the club. Oh I wish we had an owner who was so in on the team winning that he would do things to win! Mark Cuban please buy the Pirates! 8-)   

I don't think it's so much a matter of whether or not Cuban wants to buy them.  He's already stated numerous times that he does.  It's whether or not Nutting wants to sell.  He's stated numerous times that he doesn't.  Owning a pro sports franchise, regardless of the franchise, is a quite exclusive club to be in.  I'd be willing to bet most of these guys don't relinquish membership in that club easily.  There are only 122 major pro sports teams in the US, and some people, like Stan Kroenke, own multiple teams--in his case, the Nuggets, Avalanche, and Rams, in addition to I think the pro soccer and lacrosse teams in Denver.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

35080F15080F610 wrote: I'm pleased with this.  He went from a fringe prospect to a big leaguer.

No offense, but if NH called up the Stros and offered Luplow for Moran, with no one else involved, the Astros would think it was a crank call.  ;D

Would love to have Moran, but it will take a lot more than Luplow. I'm thinking maybe Cole.

Why?  Short of his draft status and this season, he's done nothing to warrant a Cole in return.  He's had a great year, but his previous high in HR's is 10, he strikes out a bunch, and lacks range at 3b (and is slow, but that's no biggie).

I could well be wrong. I was thinking that Moran was rather highly regarded, much higher than Luplow. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

767E7D4A5C795E513F0 wrote: I'm pleased with this.  He went from a fringe prospect to a big leaguer.

Why?  Short of his draft status and this season, he's done nothing to warrant a Cole in return.  He's had a great year, but his previous high in HR's is 10, he strikes out a bunch, and lacks range at 3b (and is slow, but that's no biggie).

I could well be wrong.  I was thinking that Moran was rather highly regarded, much higher than Luplow.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is Jon Sickels on Moran in May of last year. Keep in mind, he played in Fresno again this season (power numbers). I wonder if the Astros brought him up to showcase him for trade (big lead and all)? He just doesn't seem to be anything special to me.

<<<<<<<<<In one sense, Moran is a very easy prospect to analyze. He’s basically exactly the player scouts expected him to be coming out of North Carolina: a high batting average hard contact hitter with gap power and a strong on-base percentage, with marginal home run power and mediocre defense at third base. In another sense, the fact that nothing has really changed here makes him harder to analyze, too. Will he show more home run power? Will his defense improve? His arm is fine; in general he is not a butcher but he is far from a gold glove due to just-adequate range. My guess is that Moran will be playable at third until he reaches his late 20s and starts to lose range with age. The bat I’m less certain of, mostly because I’m a lot less confident analyzing swing mechanics than I am with fielding or pitching. He has a clean line drive stroke right now, that much is obvious, but can he successfully tweak it and add more of a power load without screwing everything else up? I don’t know. He did seem to drive the ball a little more often last year but was this just random variation or did it presage a larger change? We’ll split the difference between his 2014 and 2015 ratings with a Grade B.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTARY

Moran was hitting .288/.331/.416 with three homers, nine walks, and 32 strikeouts in 125 at-bats for Triple-A Fresno in the friendly Pacific Coast League.

PCL observers report that Moran's defense at third base remains unspectacular but steady; the early numbers for range factors and fielding percentage are in line with his previous career standards, so the reports seem valid. The glove isn't terrific, but it is playable if he hits enough.

As for the bat. . .

There has been no increase in isolated power this year but there has been a slippage in on-base percentage and walk rate, plus he is actually hitting the ball on the ground more often this year than last. If he is being aggressive in an attempt to hit for more power, it is not working, at least not consistently.

It did work on this swing:

And here's some more typical opposite field gap power.

Sometimes you just have to admit that you don't know and that's where I am with Moran. I don't know if he will add more power or not. I don't know if his lower walk rate and OBP this year is a real change in approach or just a small sample size data blip.

We have readers who know a lot more about hitting mechanics than I do. What do you guys think?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Yea, Iowa you are correct. I read somewhere that Nutting has no intentions of selling. Sad as I grew up watching the Pirates as a proud and competitive franchise (early 60's) and even into my early 20's they were always in contention. Then they suffered through the Drug Scandal and finally rebounded in the early 90's...I was looking at some old Pirate Schedules from the early 2001 season. Wow, the team was bad then. We actually have a decent team now. Just wish the front office would stop all the BS and get behind winning...Sorry to rant, but dang I hate loosing....

Bucs Fan In Ga...Beat'em Bucs! :D
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1D2A3C2C193E313631181E5F0 wrote: Yea, Iowa you are correct. I read somewhere that Nutting has no intentions of selling. Sad as I grew up watching the Pirates as a proud and competitive franchise (early 60's) and even into my early 20's they were always in contention. Then they suffered through the Drug Scandal and finally rebounded in the early 90's...I was looking at some old Pirate Schedules from the early 2001 season. Wow, the team was bad then.  We actually have a decent team now. Just wish the front office would stop all the BS and get behind winning...Sorry to rant, but dang I hate loosing....

Bucs Fan In Ga...Beat'em Bucs! :D

Yeah I feel like at some point we deserve something.

]IMG_20170727_144133 by sammykhalifa, on Flickr
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Nutting runs a profitable enterprise. No reason to expect him to change how he operates.