8-10 game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

8-10 game

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

63444F6C210 wrote: Bell needs 8 more HRs to break Eddie Murray's and Tony Clark's switch hitting rookie HR record.

4-2 Pirates after his HR.

I was editing as you must have been typing.

Jinx!

No, I am not buying you a Coke. I saw your post as I started to write how 1B seems solved for years to come too. No jinx!

Now 6-3 as Frazier knocked in two runs.

I wouldn't have thought to DH McCutchen, but with that big outfield, seems like a good move. Let Frazier run a little bit, he is younger.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

8-10 game

547665787B7E79765562747478170 wrote: For someone so talented, Cole really gets on my nerves.

If you're an ace, or even an ALLEGED ace, and your team gives you 6 early runs, you have absolutely GOT to slam the door shut and win the game without any suspense. That has GOT to be a win.

So naturally Cole has already allowed 3 runs and I sure don't feel good about him shutting the Tigers down from here on out.

I don't really understand the "Ace" title. Is every team's #1 Starter (opening day starter) their "Ace"? Can a team have two (+) "Aces"?

I really hate the numbering system for pitchers. Is Nova now a "four" after his poor start and Williams a "three" after his good month?

To me, there is a difference between an Ace and the staff Ace. Cole is the staff Ace, but not an Ace compared to the rest of the league.
SammyKhalifa

8-10 game

Post by SammyKhalifa »

313A323E3B3A216462152C343D3A3A7B363A550 wrote: For someone so talented, Cole really gets on my nerves.

If you're an ace, or even an ALLEGED ace, and your team gives you 6 early runs, you have absolutely GOT to slam the door shut and win the game without any suspense. That has GOT to be a win.

So naturally Cole has already allowed 3 runs and I sure don't feel good about him shutting the Tigers down from here on out.

I don't really understand the "Ace" title.  Is every team's #1 Starter (opening day starter) their "Ace"?  Can a team have two (+) "Aces"?

I really hate the numbering system for pitchers.  Is Nova now a "four" after his poor start and Williams a "three" after his good month?

To me, there is a difference between an Ace and the staff Ace.  Cole is the staff Ace, but not an Ace compared to the rest of the league. 

Hmm, okay. How about he was a first overall in the entire country going against a nobody pitching for a team that has hung it up for the season, so it shouldn't be too much to ask that he can do a bit more than barely scrape through five or six innings?
SammyKhalifa

8-10 game

Post by SammyKhalifa »

467478786C5E7D74797C7374150 wrote: For someone so talented, Cole really gets on my nerves.

I don't really understand the "Ace" title.  Is every team's #1 Starter (opening day starter) their "Ace"?  Can a team have two (+) "Aces"?

I really hate the numbering system for pitchers.  Is Nova now a "four" after his poor start and Williams a "three" after his good month?

To me, there is a difference between an Ace and the staff Ace.  Cole is the staff Ace, but not an Ace compared to the rest of the league. 

Hmm, okay.  How about he was a first overall in the entire country going against a nobody pitching for a team that has hung it up for the season, so it shouldn't be too much to ask that he can do a bit more than barely scrape through five or six innings?

Nice inning, Gerrit. Sorry I was so rough on you before.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

8-10 game

4B7975756153707974717E79180 wrote: For someone so talented, Cole really gets on my nerves.

Hmm, okay.  How about he was a first overall in the entire country going against a nobody pitching for a team that has hung it up for the season, so it shouldn't be too much to ask that he can do a bit more than barely scrape through five or six innings?

If Cole was on the Cubs, would you expect the same from him?

(Don't forget that many draft picks don't dominate. Tony Sanchez was the first catcher and fourth overall pick one year. He isn't even mentioned as a "has-been". He is a "never-was". Bad picks happen.)
Ecbucs

8-10 game

Post by Ecbucs »

4E454D4144455E1B1D6A534B4245450449452A0 wrote: For someone so talented, Cole really gets on my nerves.

If Cole was on the Cubs, would you expect the same from him?

(Don't forget that many draft picks don't dominate.  Tony Sanchez was the first catcher and fourth overall pick one year.  He isn't even mentioned as a "has-been".  He is a "never-was".  Bad picks happen.)

I certainly expect him to be an ace.  If he hadn't pitched so well in 2015 maybe I would expect less.  It looked like he could be a dominating pitcher. Good control, almost a strikeout an inning, gave up few home runs. 

If he had pitched as well this year as he did in 2015 the Pirates might be in first place.
Bobster21

8-10 game

Post by Bobster21 »

767D75797C7D662325526B737A7D7D3C717D120 wrote: For someone so talented, Cole really gets on my nerves.

I think the term is subjective. Ideally, every staff has an ace but being the best of a bad bunch hardly qualifies. Everyone wants those types like Kershaw, Bumgarner, Sale, etc who are among MLB's elite and are true aces. Cole was the top pick in his draft and everyone thought he could be among MLB's elite. But he's been disappointing inasmuch as he hasn't reached that elite level. Good but not great. In my book on the 1960 Bucs I referred to Vern Law and Bob Friend as twin aces because they were both among the best in MLB and had very similar stats that season. I think if Sale got traded to the Dodgers right now and was teamed with Kershaw we'd call them both aces regardless of who was in the #1 slot and who was in the #2 slot.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

8-10 game

Are you just saying that because of the team he is on, the fact that he was a number one overall pick, or because of the other pitchers in the league?

I expect more from Cole too. I expect more seasons like 2015. I expect that because of his stuff and his 100 mph fastball. But my opinion doesn't mean he is an actual league Ace. He wouldn't be considered an "Ace" if he was on some other teams. His expectations would be lower.

Look at Trevor Bauer, who was taken 3rd overall after Cole and was his college teammate. He could have easily gone #1 overall too. His college stats were better than Cole's. But on the Indians, he is not the Ace with Carrasco and Kluber there. In my opinion, he is a fine pitcher but not "ace" material (yet). Is there more pressure on Cole because of the team he is on compared to Bauer?

Oh yeah, where is Danny Hultzen who was drafted between Cole and Bauer?
Ecbucs

8-10 game

Post by Ecbucs »

he pitched like an ace in 2015, 4.5 WAR (8th for pitchers) 5th in ERA, only gave up 11 homers in over 200 innings, was 8th in league in WHIP, 7th in innings pitched. Was just 24 years old. Have to believe that is not his career year if he avoids injury.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

8-10 game

Cole pitched 8 today. Very good outing. Cole did his job. I will take that performance every time out.

Nicasio is in to get the final three outs.