If you were NH

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

If you were NH

Post by notes34 »

I can't seem to figure out why people keep wanting to push Bell to the OF. Just let him alone, he is learning and I think will eventually be fine. He is hitting for power just let him be. I would look for someone to play 3rd and upgrade over Polanco in RF. I think Nova has been overachieving but still has solid value since he is signed to a team friendly deal. I would package him asap. Polanco would be gone or he would become the 4th OF. If we can find an everyday 3rd baseman that would let Freese , S-Rod and Frazier available to PH and start 2 times a week. We would have positional flexibility. While I like Osuna's bat I'm not sure I like it enough to shift him to 3rd. It would seem we have Freese, S-Rod, Frazier and Osuna on the bench. Osuna is the odd man out due to flexibility. Maybe package him with someone else to fill a hole.
RichD

If you were NH

Post by RichD »

Votto and Cutch at max pay in their 30`s. Thats a big risk.I dont like it. Need to find some young stud bats to add to Bell.Trade a Glasnow or Barault. Luplow could be that guy so maybe we only need 1 other bat. Trade Cutch to reload down low.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

If you were NH

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think it would be a waste to trade McCutchen for low minor leaguers. They have a team in place that can win now.
Bobster21

If you were NH

Post by Bobster21 »

2E252D2124253E7B7D0A332B2225256429254A0 wrote: I think it would be a waste to trade McCutchen for low minor leaguers.  They have a team in place that can win now. 
I agree that a good core is there. Obviously, it needs improvement but that could be done if Nutting and the BMTIB wanted to. Trading core players for prospects only restarts the same cycle. If lucky, the prospects become good players, increase their salaries and then get traded for new prospects. We'll never get anywhere like that.
DemDog

If you were NH

Post by DemDog »

If I were Neal I would be looking for a GM job with a club that has some money to spend. Nutting is the problem and no GM even Theo could build a consistent contender and WS champ with the money Nutting is willing to spend.
MaineBucs

If you were NH

Post by MaineBucs »

First, I approach Nutting and openly state to him that the team (and him) needs more financial resources if the goal is to compete and to win.

Two, I particularly try to get a more solid read on 2 players; Polanco and Meadows. If Polanco can regain a small bit of health and show that he can be a real major league player, I use him as a potential trade chip. And, making this option work also partly depends on Meadows. Is he now or will he soon be ready to step in and produce at the major league level.

Three, I shop Cole this off-season to see what he can attract in return. I don't trade him for a mediocre return, but if someone is willing to offer real talent, I strongly consider trading him.

Four, the Pirates need a 'cheap' starting staff to field a better line-up. Nova could be a good innings eater and the only starter who is commanding any real salary. I prepare to commit to some assemblage of the 'kids': Tallion, Kuhl, Williams, Glasnow, Brault, Kingham and/or Holmes for as many as 4 of the starting spots.

Five, I go with more youth in the pen. Most of the veterans have failed. I shop Hudson for salary relief. The only veterans I would bring back are Rivero and perhaps Nicassio, but not for a large multi-year contract. Remaining spots are going to the likes of Schuegel, Never Land, Santana and one or more of the younger starters who didn't make the rotation. Nearly all of the veteran relievers failed this year.

Six, I see if anyone wants Cervelli. Too much coin for an oft-injured catcher who is a mediocre hitter. Hand the reins to Diaz (who will have growing pains) and find another less costly veteran catcher on the open market.

Seven, I likely do not move Bell off of first. That said, if Osuna is the real deal, and he can't play 3rd, perhaps moving Bell back to the OF would be an option. Osuna, however, would have to demonstrate that he can be a real regular at the plate.

Some initial thoughts. Likely best to re-evaluate at the end of the year.
Jerseykc

If you were NH

Post by Jerseykc »

If I were NH, I'd have my resume ready and would be actively looking. There will be openings at the end of the season.

Maybe a team that will commit (no really commit) to spending if they want to make a run.

Jerseykc

If you were NH

Post by Jerseykc »

Seven, I likely do not move Bell off of first.  That said, if Osuna is the real deal, and he can't play 3rd, perhaps moving Bell back to the OF would be an option.  Osuna, however, would have to demonstrate that he can be a real regular at the plate.

Some initial thoughts.  Likely best to re-evaluate at the end of the year.   

It would be interesting to see Osuna with a full year of full time AB's. For a guy that doesn't play often and does some PT, he's done well first time in bigs.

Bell was healthy all year. That is probably going to be an outlier for an everyday player
RichD

If you were NH

Post by RichD »

Osuna with a full year of AB`s is a  260/15/70 guy. 320 obp. We could use that at 3rd , since we do not have anything else. Think Steve Buchele numbers, and back then we actually traded to get him as a bat.

We need hitters real ones ..Cutch having a great season and we are in 4th place .He is not a difference maker .He gets his stats thats all ...Players dont rally around him . They don`t fear his wrath.He is a good guy .His stock is high get a solid return for him...
fjk090852-7

If you were NH

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I would attempt to sign Cutch to a four year deal. I would send Osuna to Winter Ball to learn to play third base. I would sign or trade for a veteran left handed bat for the bench. I would reshape the bullpen, Contos and Rivero would both be anchors in 2018. Lastly I would be open to discussions to trade Cole. The deal would have to bring back either MLB players or players who are AAA ready.