Call Ups

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Call Ups

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

323328392F6F685C0 wrote: Kingham pitched only 31 innings in 2015 and 46 innings in 2016. This year he had 118 innings. Maybe they don't want him throwing anymore this season.
I would assume this is the reason. I still hold out some hope for him.

Is Kingham really out of options? I was impressed with him before his injury/surgery. He will get a shot somewhere.
Bobster21

Call Ups

Post by Bobster21 »

555E565A5F5E450006714850595E5E1F525E310 wrote: Kingham pitched only 31 innings in 2015 and 46 innings in 2016. This year he had 118 innings. Maybe they don't want him throwing anymore this season.
I would assume this is the reason. I still hold out some hope for him.

Is Kingham really out of options?  I was impressed with him before his injury/surgery.  He will get a shot somewhere.
Yes, he's out of options. That should make him a leading candidate to make the 2018 staff as a long reliever, which is how Trevor Williams began this season. If he's not quite ready it will be no worse than keeping a Rule 5 pitcher. Besides, if they deal him, he'll still be out of options with the new team and they would have to keep him the same as the Pirates would. It would be a shame to make another team look smart for keeping a pitching prospect the Pirates wouldn't keep.

The Orioles were in a similar situation last year with Dylan Bundy. Bundy was a highly ranked prospect who signed a MLB contract and then used up his options being unable to pitch in the minors due to injuries including TJ surgery. Being out of options in 2016, he had to be kept on the MLB roster and spent the first half of the season in the pen used sparingly. He entered the rotation in mid July that year and has been one of their most reliable pitchers since. I could see a similar track for Kingham next year.
johnfluharty

Call Ups

Post by johnfluharty »

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/ ... ue-options

If a player misses an entire option year due to injury or expends his third option year before he has completed five professional seasons (Major Leagues and Minor Leagues included), he can receive a fourth option year.

Because of the timing of his injury, he has not missed an entire option year, so he cannot get an extra one for that. Also, he was drafted at 18 and turned 25 this season, so I imagine even counting the time missed due to injury he has 5 professional seasons.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Call Ups

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Bundy might be in a little different situation considering being a high draft pick and given a good size bonus. He was also a student of the game as his father was very involved in coaching him and grooming him to be a major leaguer.

Still a good example. I wouldn't want to give up on Kingham or let him walk. If his velocity is up, he should be able to hold his own in the majors. Would a team trade for him knowing his situation? If so, that is a telling too.