Hayes

Kingham

Brault

Craig

Luplow/Kramer
SammyKhalifa

TOP 40 UPDATE 6/1

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I am kind of wondering how people would place Baz compared to guys like Tucker and Newman. I'd probably place him below some of those guys but it's not like I actually know anything about him.
OrlandoMerced

TOP 40 UPDATE 6/1

Post by OrlandoMerced »

It looks like Baz has top of the rotation ceiling. Tucker's ceiling is still really high, but I think Newman always had a bit of a limited ceiling, and with his struggles in AA this year, his floor went down quite a bit.
UtahPirate

TOP 40 UPDATE 6/1

Post by UtahPirate »

467B6568676D66446C7B6A6C6D090 wrote: Here's my updated top 10:

Meadows

Keller

Baz

Newman

Tucker

Hayes

Kingham

Brault

Craig

Luplow/Kramer

Nice to see Luplow breaking out at AA. His growing power #s and nice K/BB rate (37/24 in 207 ABs) suggest he may have the hit tool to succeed as a corner OFer at the major league level. He ended up being a bit of a leftover on our list after struggling in Bradenton last year.
DemDog

TOP 40 UPDATE 6/1

Post by DemDog »

Baz would not even make my top 15 at this point. What has he shown in pro baseball? Nothing. And it is not like he was playing in a high school league that was the nations best or anything. Yep he did play well and has a heck of a lot of potential but I want to see how does in rookie ball before I rate him high.
johnfluharty

TOP 40 UPDATE 6/1

Post by johnfluharty »

I find it annoying in general when draft picks are ranked so high. Let them play a bit first.
DemDog

TOP 40 UPDATE 6/1

Post by DemDog »

You know wvbucco you and I have the power on OBN to severely reprimand any one who rates new draft pick so high so soon. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
SammyKhalifa

TOP 40 UPDATE 6/1

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5E7F775E757D1A0 wrote: Baz would not even make my top 15 at this point.  What has he shown in pro baseball?  Nothing.  And it is not like he was playing in a high school league that was the nations best or anything.  Yep he did play well and has a heck of a lot of potential but I want to see how does in rookie ball before I rate him high.

Hopefully since he is signing so fast we'll get a taste soon.

Oh, links! For what it's worth at this early stage Jim Callis thinks we did good for ourselves.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/236553468 ... 017-draft/

3. Pirates

Pittsburgh went big on the first day, taking four high schoolers in Texas right-hander Shane Baz (first round), Tennessee righty Steve Jennings (second), California outfielder Cal Mitchell (second) and Oklahoma outfielder Conner Uselton (supplemental second).

Baz has a fastball that hits 98 mph, and a cutter that can be unhittable. The athletic Jennings also could have two plus pitches as well in his heater and slider. Mitchell's power potential could have landed him in the first round before a rough spring, while Uselton has considerable pop as well.

Though that quartet will soak up much of the Pirates' bonus pool, they also got two Cape Cod League offensive standouts in Florida State third baseman Dylan Busby (third) and St. Joseph's catcher Deon Stafford (fifth), plus the type of projectable high-school righty they're known for developing in Californian Cody Bolton (sixth).

dogknot17@yahoo.co

TOP 40 UPDATE 6/1

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0E2F270E252D4A0 wrote: Baz would not even make my top 15 at this point.  What has he shown in pro baseball?  Nothing.  And it is not like he was playing in a high school league that was the nations best or anything.  Yep he did play well and has a heck of a lot of potential but I want to see how does in rookie ball before I rate him high.

It is a ranking based on upside too. How is it any different thinking what a player will do in the majors based on what they did in the minors?

OrlandoMerced

TOP 40 UPDATE 6/1

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Prospect rankings are the definition of arbitrary.