Who are YOU rooting for?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Cleveland is probably the only team that I would actively root for. I have family in Boston, so I'd like to see them beat Houston at least. In the NL, whoever wins the dodgers/D-backs series. I can't stand the Nats or the Cubs.

The Indians, Astros and Dodgers all have guys on offense with breakout season. For LA and Houston, they had some guys come out of nowhere. So, maybe there's hope for the Pirates.
PMike

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by PMike »

I'm puzzled by those who are done with baseball for the year. I feel like I have been waiting for the playoffs over the last month. The Pirates were so disappointing and dreadful to watch, I was really wanting some good baseball.

That said, the wildcard games were an abomination to watch. It was all about managers getting as much face time as possible and putting pitcher in position they have never prepared for. Both games were almost 4 hours long.

That said, the games yesterday were much better and more real. This is good baseball to watch!
SammyKhalifa

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I was going to say Rockies and Indians but Colorado was way out of it by the time I got around to posting here. :-/
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

736E4A4846230 wrote: I'm puzzled by those who are done with baseball for the year.  I feel like I have been waiting for the playoffs over the last month.  The Pirates were so disappointing and dreadful to watch, I was really wanting some good baseball.

That said, the wildcard games were an abomination to watch.  It was all about managers getting as much face time as possible and putting pitcher in position they have never prepared for.  Both games were almost 4 hours long.

That said, the games yesterday were much better and more real.  This is good baseball to watch!

I liked the Wild Card games and understand the focus on the managers. This is it, do or die game. It was all about the pitchers as runs were being scored, pitch count was being high, and you had to win the game. I doubt if it wasn't a do or die game the Pitchers would have been pulled so quickly. There is always tomorrow in a series, not in the Wild Card game. Yes, very long games, but I loved the strategy. A relief pitcher hit a triple, a triple, in a playoff game.
PMike

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by PMike »

212A222E2B2A317472053C242D2A2A6B262A450 wrote: I'm puzzled by those who are done with baseball for the year.  I feel like I have been waiting for the playoffs over the last month.  The Pirates were so disappointing and dreadful to watch, I was really wanting some good baseball.

That said, the wildcard games were an abomination to watch.  It was all about managers getting as much face time as possible and putting pitcher in position they have never prepared for.  Both games were almost 4 hours long.

That said, the games yesterday were much better and more real.  This is good baseball to watch!

I liked the Wild Card games and understand the focus on the managers.  This is it, do or die game.  It was all about the pitchers as runs were being scored, pitch count was being high, and you had to win the game.  I doubt if it wasn't a do or die game the Pitchers would have been pulled so quickly.  There is always tomorrow in a series, not in the Wild Card game.  Yes, very long games, but I loved the strategy.  A relief pitcher hit a triple, a triple, in a playoff game. 

The games are such an outlier...as we have bemoaned around here. It is just so silly. You play baseball a certain way for 162 games. Then, for one game, it is totally different. Then it goes back to sort of normal for the playoff series. I don't enjoy watching it. It is a spectacle and not baseball at its best.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Who are YOU rooting for?

Shouldn't every game be played to win? It's different because that one Wild Card game is the only one and done game all year. Also, like its the final game of the season so you advance to a series.

In 162 games, as long as you win like 55% to 57% of them, you will probably make the playoffs. Teams don't press for every single win.

Would you have kept in those pitchers who were struggling? I wish every game had all that strategy and atmosphere involved. They were really exciting in a must win game.
Bobster21

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by Bobster21 »

6E7357555B3E0 wrote: I'm puzzled by those who are done with baseball for the year.  I feel like I have been waiting for the playoffs over the last month.  The Pirates were so disappointing and dreadful to watch, I was really wanting some good baseball.

I liked the Wild Card games and understand the focus on the managers.  This is it, do or die game.  It was all about the pitchers as runs were being scored, pitch count was being high, and you had to win the game.  I doubt if it wasn't a do or die game the Pitchers would have been pulled so quickly.  There is always tomorrow in a series, not in the Wild Card game.  Yes, very long games, but I loved the strategy.  A relief pitcher hit a triple, a triple, in a playoff game. 

The games are such an outlier...as we have bemoaned around here.  It is just so silly.  You play baseball a certain way for 162 games.  Then, for one game, it is totally different.  Then it goes back to sort of normal for the playoff series.  I don't enjoy watching it.  It is a spectacle and not baseball at its best.
Baseball is then only sport that requires a series of games to ascertain the best team (even if only at that time). That's because no team is representative of their best pitcher. The effectiveness of any team changes daily based on who pitches that day's game. The 1-game WC contest allows the team with the best pitcher that day to win.

The 1972 Phillies had the worst record in the NL (59-97) and the 2nd worst record in MLB. But Steve Carlton won 27 of their 59 wins and won the Cy Young with a 1.97 ERA, 30 CGs, 8 shutouts and a 0.993 WHIP. Chances are that no team would have defeated the 59-97 Phillies in a 1-game playoff if Carlton pitched. But the 1972 Philliies were certainly not representative of the team that played when Carlton pitched. That's the problem with a 1-game playoff.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Who are YOU rooting for?

Weird strategy by the Yankees. Why didn't they walk Gomes to put the force on? His run doesn't matter. Oh well, the Yankees lost. They blew an 8-3 lead.
JollyRoger

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by JollyRoger »

Gotta root for the Tribe. Time to add to that 1948 Title
PMike

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by PMike »

474C44484D4C571214635A424B4C4C0D404C230 wrote: Shouldn't every game be played to win?  It's different because that one Wild Card game is the only one and done game all year.  Also, like its the final game of the season so you advance to a series.

In 162 games, as long as you win like 55% to 57% of them, you will probably make the playoffs.  Teams don't press for every single win. 

Would you have kept in those pitchers who were struggling?  I wish every game had all that strategy and atmosphere involved.  They were really exciting in a must win game.

I don't know, man. The games were 4 freakin hours. That wasn't exciting. It had no flow or feel. Scoring and the score meant nothing until late in the game. I daresay it was almost NBA like. Just catch the last quarter. It was a parade of managers and unpracticed strategy. Again, you can't train an athlete to train mentally and physically a certain way for 8 month and then think that they will succeed in a completely different role/prep.

Thanks for that comparison to the 72 Phillies, Bobster. Fascinating thing to think about.