Pirates acquire Brentz

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by Bobster21 »

505C5D060F060E03041B01360 wrote: I am not too concerned about his age, because if you refer back to Pirate history Bill Robinson was acquired in 1975 at age 32. He was another guy who spent a number of years in the minors, and he became an important piece for the Bucs in the late 1970’s. I would sign up for that same type of production from Brentz.
Ditto. Also, Mike Easler.
fjk090852-7

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4B666B7A7D6C7B3B38090 wrote: Nothing wrong with taking a flier on this guy. 31 HRs in AAA last year and hit .271 although his career AAA BA is just .254. If Frazier is in LF I don't know that he needs a platoon partner as he has thus far hit .338 vs LHP. But as a 4th OFer, they may prefer to start the year with Luplow getting regular ABs at AAA rather than sporadic starts. After all, Luplow has only 254 ABs at AA and 160 ABs at AAA so sitting on the bench might hurt his development. But they need a LH bat on the bench. Especially if Frazier is usually starting. Nava is a switch hitter who can't hit LH pitching (career .211). Right now the only other option is Moroff who switch hits. And he's not a lock to make the team. Bench so far has Freese, Rodriguez, Diaz and 2 of Nava, Brentz, Luplow and Moroff.

If anything, I see this acquisition as bad news for Nava. Nava can't be considered an adequate LH option off the bench, which may mean Moroff has to be that guy. If so, it leaves 1 spot for Luplow (who probably benefits from AAA time), Nava (who essentially becomes a RH hitting 4th OFer with little power) or Brentz as a RH hitting 4th OFer with power.
I believe Nava is a switch hitter who is much better from the left side of the plate. You and I agree on the first three guys on the bench, and my guess is that Nava may also make it since he switch hits and Brentz will make the final spot. Whenever there is an injury or trade they will then recall Moroff, Osuna or Luplow.
Bobster21

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by Bobster21 »

363A3B6069606865627D67500 wrote: Nothing wrong with taking a flier on this guy. 31 HRs in AAA last year and hit .271 although his career AAA BA is just .254. If Frazier is in LF I don't know that he needs a platoon partner as he has thus far hit .338 vs LHP. But as a 4th OFer, they may prefer to start the year with Luplow getting regular ABs at AAA rather than sporadic starts. After all, Luplow has only 254 ABs at AA and 160 ABs at AAA so sitting on the bench might hurt his development. But they need a LH bat on the bench. Especially if Frazier is usually starting. Nava is a switch hitter who can't hit LH pitching (career .211). Right now the only other option is Moroff who switch hits. And he's not a lock to make the team. Bench so far has Freese, Rodriguez, Diaz and 2 of Nava, Brentz, Luplow and Moroff.

If anything, I see this acquisition as bad news for Nava. Nava can't be considered an adequate LH option off the bench, which may mean Moroff has to be that guy. If so, it leaves 1 spot for Luplow (who probably benefits from AAA time), Nava (who essentially becomes a RH hitting 4th OFer with little power) or Brentz as a RH hitting 4th OFer with power.
I believe Nava is a switch hitter who is much better from the left side of the plate. You and I agree on the first three guys on the bench, and my guess is that Nava may also make it since he switch hits and Brentz will make the final spot. Whenever there is an injury or trade they will then recall Moroff, Osuna or Luplow.

Oops, you're correct. I had it backwards thinking about him not hitting LH pitching. I guess maybe he bats LH better. Gonna have to award myself a dunce cap. That gives him a good chance of making the team. Probably better than Moroff.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

How many former first round picks do the Pirates have on their roster?

Moran, Musgrove, Crick, Brentz were all brought in via trade.
Quail

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by Quail »

Maybe...Brentz and Nava platoon in left, Harrison traded, Frazier to second, Moroff infield sub, Luplow to AAA for seasoning.
SCBucco

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by SCBucco »

38333B373233286D6B1C253D343333723F335C0 wrote: How many former first round picks do the Pirates have on their roster?

It's cute to bring up the former first round picks on this roster. Unless these former first round picks do something decent, its a pointless thing to bring up. And ... Musgrove is looking injured again.
SteadyFreddy

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by SteadyFreddy »

1000013620202C430 wrote: How many former first round picks do the Pirates have on their roster?

It's cute to bring up the former first round picks on this roster.  Unless these former first round picks do something decent, its a pointless thing to bring up.  And ... Musgrove is looking injured again. This is Dog’s version of management doing something and stepping up to the plate and acquiring top notch players. He will use this and say “see management went out and made moves and tried to make the team better when others on here said they do nothing.”
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Pointless? Why was I told it was pointless? Is that pointless too?

I didn't say a word about the actual move good or bad. Others did. Why don't you go and attack them??? Looks like some even liked it.

Good posts guys. Keep on attackin'.
johnfluharty

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by johnfluharty »

587F6E6A6F724D796E6F6F720B0 wrote: How many former first round picks do the Pirates have on their roster?

It's cute to bring up the former first round picks on this roster.  Unless these former first round picks do something decent, its a pointless thing to bring up.  And ... Musgrove is looking injured again. This is Dog’s version of management doing something and stepping up to the plate and acquiring top notch players. He will use this and say “see management went out and made moves and tried to make the team better when others on here said they do nothing.”

Kind of grasping at straws here, aren't you?
SteadyFreddy

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by SteadyFreddy »

383D3A3C343E273A3320262B520 wrote: How many former first round picks do the Pirates have on their roster?

Kind of grasping at straws here, aren't you? Grasping at straws?? I don’t follow please elaborate. Just seems to me Dog takes any opportunity no matter how ridiculous it is to defend this management team. He will use this trade as a way to make  a point to people on here that the management team and NH are trying to make moves to get better players. I’ve seen it way too many times on here. He thinks signing Jaso, giving Locke a raise and signing Vogelsong in 2016 means the Pirates increased their payroll and spend money.