What grade would you give NH?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Post by notes34 »

2103100D0E0B0C03201701010D620 wrote: I don't know how to grade this. I have to believe, and he has shown in the past, that NH a smart baseball guy. He's not incompetent. He has to know this team is going to be bad and that not signing ANY major league free agents is not a good business decision.

But you know he must be operating on a directive from Nutting that basically is, "Don't spend any money on this year's team." I mean that has to be it, right? There's no way that Nutting has opened his wallet and is encouraging NH to spend money and win, but NH isn't doing it because he's just very content and confident with this team as currently constituted. There's no way that's happening. So it has to be the alternative, which is Nutting ordering him not to spend.

So I don't blame the fact that his front office has done NOTHING on NH. I'm surprised he doesn't just resign and say "I can't work under these conditions any more."
But he stays. So he has accepted the conditions. I think he really is bordering on incompetent at this point. I understand we aren't going to sign big name FA's. The problem is we throw what little resources we have at the SRod's, Nava's and Hudson's of the baseball world. I fully believe the NH's "great" run of dumpster diving was a lot of luck. AJ worked, Martin worked, Happ worked, but the list of bad to terrible moves is really piling up. Niese for Walker was a disaster. He has not shown recently that he is capable of being creative enough to excel under this owners financial constraints. It was time to move on, now we are stuck with this for at least another couple of seasons. No more living in the past 2013-2015. Sports are what have you done for me lately, and lately NH has done virtually nothing.
Quail

Post by Quail »

It is difficult to separate NH from Nuttings payroll issues. I graded him as a C for his overall tenure. He's done some good things and some bad. Recently though I think he's been in the D-F area. For instance, going through significant time last season with only one healthy OF'er on the roster is simply inexcusable for a MLB GM. IMO he's definitely trending downward.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Overall, I think he has done more good than bad. Just like what Quail said, he is trending downward. He has a lot riding on some of his draft picks (Taillon, Kuhl, Bell, Meadows, Luplow, Moroff, Newman, Glasnow to name a few).
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

NH's moves this off season are consistent with a rebuilding team. He traded veterans for prospects and unproven young major leaguers. He signed no established FAs, opting instead for marginal guys who at best will be on the bench. Everyone knows this team is rebuilding. They just won't admit it. That's the problem. They lie to the fans but their actions are obvious. Since they are rebuilding, they are not going to spend on established FAs to take PT away from young guys on a team going nowhere. And, of course, even if they weren't rebuilding, they wouldn't spend for FAs unless they were old or trying to reestablish their careers. They never do. 

I don't agree with the decision to rebuild. But since that is the direction the have chosen, the offseason is consistent with that. It's just a shame they lied to the fans and said they would be competitive because that left fans questioning these moves and wondering why a team expecting to compete would operate this way.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

446964757263743437060 wrote: NH's moves this off season are consistent with a rebuilding team. He traded veterans for prospects and unproven young major leaguers. He signed no established FAs, opting instead for marginal guys who at best will be on the bench. Everyone knows this team is rebuilding. They just won't admit it. That's the problem. They lie to the fans but their actions are obvious. Since they are rebuilding, they are not going to spend on established FAs to take PT away from young guys on a team going nowhere. And, of course, even if they weren't rebuilding, they wouldn't spend for FAs unless they were old or trying to reestablish their careers. They never do. 

I don't agree with the decision to rebuild. But since that is the direction the have chosen, the offseason is consistent with that. It's just a shame they lied to the fans and said they would be competitive because that left fans questioning these moves and wondering why a team expecting to compete would operate this way.

In my vote, I didn't consider the lying to fans, I voted based upon his record and what I see is the downward trend. If I had considered the lying my vote would have been F-.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: NH's moves this off season are consistent with a rebuilding team. He traded veterans for prospects and unproven young major leaguers. He signed no established FAs, opting instead for marginal guys who at best will be on the bench. Everyone knows this team is rebuilding. They just won't admit it. That's the problem. They lie to the fans but their actions are obvious. Since they are rebuilding, they are not going to spend on established FAs to take PT away from young guys on a team going nowhere. And, of course, even if they weren't rebuilding, they wouldn't spend for FAs unless they were old or trying to reestablish their careers. They never do. 

I don't agree with the decision to rebuild. But since that is the direction the have chosen, the offseason is consistent with that. It's just a shame they lied to the fans and said they would be competitive because that left fans questioning these moves and wondering why a team expecting to compete would operate this way. I truly believe this front office has absolutely no shame at all and thinks this fan base is full of complete and total idiots and morons. Why else would they try and spin and cover up so much stuff. It’s mind boggling to me some of things and comments that continue to come out of Neal Huntington’s mouth. Its truly remarkable.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

I gave him a B (over his full tenure). I think he makes a lot of astute moves and largely has the right approach. The problem is that we need an A+ GM to win given the team's con$traint$.

I have come to disagree with the "maximize the window" approach that he seems to take. I'd like to see a hybrid or a full "sell out to win" approach. The Marlins and Royals both have championships. TB has none.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

I agree with CtBucco.With Nutting's financial constraints, need an A+! One example is Happ. Obtained him, turned him around, and didn't bother to resign him .Two out of three is pretty good, but not good enough!