Moroff Optioned

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Moroff Optioned

Post by mouse »

This might be fallout on NH's comment that they intend to compete this year. I think Dog's comment is on point - Moroff's position is second base and he isn't pushing Harrison aside. The Pirates could (arguably) have traded Harrison, opening the way for Moroff, but starting untested rookies at third and second is great for their development but not the best for the short term won-loss record. And can you imagine Hurdle handling that much shortage in the veteranosity department?
notes34

Moroff Optioned

Post by notes34 »

28232B272223387D7B0C352D242323622F234C0 wrote: I just don't know if 250 at bats in the majors is better than playing every day in the minors. If I had to pick, I'd lean to playing every day in the minors.

Harrison is blocking Moroff, not the last man on the bench. How many times would Moroff play second base?
I think its time to see if he can hit MLB pitching. I would rather he get the 250 AB's with the big club.
SyrBucco

Moroff Optioned

Post by SyrBucco »

3C353D2C22580 wrote: Dumb decision.   Freese should be released to pursue other options.   Stockpiling AAA middle infielders is stupid

If we screw around enough with Moroff, we will end up still not knowing if he can hit ML pitching 365 days from now.  Newman is close (and not very promising) and Tucker is getting close. This is Moroffs year to go for it.

Stop stockpiling players who need ML at bats in AAA so David Freese or SRod can be rostered.   Or for that matter a 29 year old rookie (Brentz)
I agree mostly, I would get Brentz a lot of abs and make a decision on him quickly.  Freese definitely needs to be gone no reason to have him on this team, we know what he is and that he can't help this team the others you mentioned we don't know and need to get some answers ASAP, so we can make some LT decisions.

I don't know what decision needs to be made on Brentz.  Best case, he's a short side platoon OF with rough defense.   I'm not against him being rostered, but he certainly has no future.   At least Garrett Jones was a long-side platoon player (vs RHP). 

Moroff needs AB.  After all this stockpiling of middle infielders, you find one who is showing intriguing power and plate discipline WHILE being a capable defender...and you delay his look so that 2-3 guys with no future can take up a roster spot on 70-75 win team lol.

Freese being released should be an easy decision.   You're getting some warm body for him in a trade anyway...cut him loose

Dmetz, you know they won't cut him and they have two good reasons: they have to eat 5M+ of salary if they do and Moran is a rookie 3rd baseman who bats lefty. Freese can platoon there.

In a perfect world, we'd find a trade partner and Moroff would be on the 25-man. But we'll have to wait fo a trade partner to develop.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Moroff Optioned

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

This management team has cut many players owed money. I don't think that's the main issue at all. I don't think Moroff would get the at bats.
Ecbucs

Moroff Optioned

Post by Ecbucs »

6B60686461607B3E384F766E676060216C600F0 wrote: This management team has cut many players owed money. I don't think that's the main issue at all. I don't think Moroff would get the at bats.

they have only cut players when they've shown they can't play anymore. I don't think Freese is in that category yet.

Thinking about Aki Aukurmora (I have no idea how to spell his name) and Ramon Vazquez.

notes34

Moroff Optioned

Post by notes34 »

Yeah they aren't going to cut Freese anytime soon.
SammyKhalifa

Moroff Optioned

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3B3A2130266661550 wrote: Yeah they aren't going to cut Freese anytime soon.

. . . but it's not because of money.
dmetz

Moroff Optioned

Post by dmetz »

It's because they're stupid and directionless.   Helmed by one of the worst GMs in baseball. Dave Littlefield could be making these roster decisions.  He was masterful at building 75 win teams using below avg veterans
Bobster21

Moroff Optioned

Post by Bobster21 »

Freese is also insurance against Moran not performing up to expectations.
skinnyhorse

Moroff Optioned

Post by skinnyhorse »

4F626F7E79687F3F3C0D0 wrote: Freese is also insurance against Moran not performing up to expectations. 
That's the thinking but we saw that play out lastyear and he was a miserable failure, you know what they say about, doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.

I would rather have Osuna in that position if Moran fails and I have to say I'm not convinced Moran will be any good at all.