Felipe Rivero Changes Name

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Roberto Clemente's actual name was

Roberto Enrique Clemente Walker His father's name was Melchor Clemente and his mother's name was Luisa Walker.

So it looks like Latin players do use the mother's name as a last name in their native country if they want to. But his legal name is Roberto Enrique Clemente Walker.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

48696148636B0C0 wrote: Roberto Clemente's actual name was

Roberto Enrique Clemente Walker  His father's name was Melchor Clemente and his mother's name was Luisa Walker.

So it looks like Latin players do use the mother's name as a last name in their native country if they want to.  But his legal name is Roberto Enrique Clemente Walker.

Yes, I work with a lot of Hispanic immigrants. When asking their name, they will frequently give both last names. And to a previous poster's point...one last name comes from the father, and the other from the mother. So, by way of hypothetical example (meaning the names are completely ficticious):

Rosa Bermudez Rodriguez and Enrique Gonzalez Hernandez have a son named Rafael. He would be Rafael Gonzalez Bermudez.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The article didn't say any of this. It came off as some weird relationship with his sister.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2A21292520213A7F790E372F262121602D214E0 wrote: The article didn't say any of this.  It came off as some weird relationship with his sister. 

Yeah, maybe it was just the writing style in the article, but the whole thing came across to me as really bizarre.
PMike

Post by PMike »

70424E4E5A684B424F4A4542230 wrote: The article didn't say any of this.  It came off as some weird relationship with his sister. 

Yeah, maybe it was just the writing style in the article, but the whole thing came across to me as really bizarre.

I said it earlier and I'll try to say it differently again. When we use words like "weird" and "bizarre" to describe actions from people that our not from our culture or with our backstories, we come across very pejorative, demeaning, and narrow-minded.

I live in a very mixed community racially and socio-economically. I regularly hear people with a particular perspective call the decision making of a person from a different perspective weird/bizarre (or much worse). Naïveté is almost always at play. In reality, when you sit and listen to the other person's story, you understand quite fully why they have lived their life and made decisions as they have.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Their are a lot of possibilities. Maybe they share a mom and not a dad and as such have different last names because of it. The relationship isn't that odd to me. My sister and I are best friends and have been our whole lives. She is 6 years younger than me. I help her do her taxes and I co-signed a loan when she got a car.

Felipe's sister is the older sibling. The dependence does not seem that strange to me. He was pretty young when he came to the US.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Well then perhaps the sportswriter should ask Vasquez about his backstory so that he can express more clearly the relationship he has with his sister?     It would likely make a more informative article than, essentially, "whatever my sister says, I do".

There's probably a good story behind this one.  Rivero may choose not to share it, but it's there.  If she was his parent-figure or somesuch, that would be a good story. Families overcoming challenges, now rolling in $.
thessy

Post by thessy »

7F6246444A2F0 wrote: The article didn't say any of this.  It came off as some weird relationship with his sister. 

I said it earlier and I'll try to say it differently again.  When we use words like "weird" and "bizarre" to describe actions from people that our not from our culture or with our backstories, we come across very pejorative, demeaning, and narrow-minded.

I live in a very mixed community racially and socio-economically.  I regularly hear people with a particular perspective call the decision making of a person from a different perspective weird/bizarre (or much worse).  Naïveté is almost always at play.  In reality, when you sit and listen to the other person's story, you understand quite fully why they have lived their life and made decisions as they have.

I respectfully - but strongly - disagree. "Weird" is not an inherently negative word. Being that "weird" is relative, something from another culture which we are unfamiliar with is "weird" by its very definition. Having lived in Asia for several years myself, a lot of what we do is considered very weird over there - that doesn't make them all jerks for not understanding the reasoning behind the things we do. Occasionally words like "weird" can be used incorrectly in a derogatory manner, but that certainly does not seem to be the case here. I do agree that the word is explicitly used out of ignorance, but again ignorance does not (or at least should not) carry an inherently negative connotation. If being ignorant about something makes us stupid jerks then anyone who has ever used the term "weird" is a stupid jerk because everything has a perfectly reasonable explanation, even if we don't know it.
PMike

Post by PMike »

627E7365656F160 wrote: The article didn't say any of this.  It came off as some weird relationship with his sister. 

I said it earlier and I'll try to say it differently again.  When we use words like "weird" and "bizarre" to describe actions from people that our not from our culture or with our backstories, we come across very pejorative, demeaning, and narrow-minded.

I live in a very mixed community racially and socio-economically.  I regularly hear people with a particular perspective call the decision making of a person from a different perspective weird/bizarre (or much worse).  Naïveté is almost always at play.  In reality, when you sit and listen to the other person's story, you understand quite fully why they have lived their life and made decisions as they have.

I respectfully - but strongly - disagree. "Weird" is not an inherently negative word.  Being that "weird" is relative, something from another culture which we are unfamiliar with is "weird" by its very definition.  Having lived in Asia for several years myself, a lot of what we do is considered very weird over there - that doesn't make them all jerks for not understanding the reasoning behind the things we do.  Occasionally words like "weird" can be used incorrectly in a derogatory manner, but that certainly does not seem to be the case here. I do agree that the word is explicitly used out of ignorance, but again ignorance does not (or at least should not) carry an inherently negative connotation.  If being ignorant about something makes us stupid jerks then anyone who has ever used the term "weird" is a stupid jerk because everything has a perfectly reasonable explanation, even if we don't know it.

Yes. You are quite right. Perhaps I overstated my point a bit. You are correct, "weird" is not necessarily a negative word. What I hear you driving at is the intent behind the language. Again, you are right that often people use certain language without any malicious intent. Weird may not be a negative word sometimes. But sometimes it is used quite negatively. I have grade school kids. They use the word "weird" in negative ways. And so, I think it is good, whenever possible, that we are made aware that our good intended language/thoughts/understandings could be damaging to others. In turn, we could use a word like "different" rather than "weird."

I will also admit that I probably have an oversensitivity to this topic due to close relationships with people living in very different socio economic realities than the dominant culture.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.