Time for Polanco to sit

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by Bobster21 »

303931202E540 wrote: I am fine with Rodriguez on the roster, but he shouldn't be playing as much as he has.  It just so happens he is the back up CF and back up SS.  Maybe it was a bad time to give Mercer a rest?  I would have played Frazier more in CF or even moved Dickerson for a few games.  Rodriguez shouldn't be batting against so many righties like he has.  I'd much rather have Osuna or Frazier in the line up over Rodriguez even if it meant some shuffling.

You're having a bad morning with making sense to me.   Or I'm having a bad morning understanding you.    Frazier more in CF??   

The Meadows callup to play CF was like a huge, huge, HUGE success.   Are you saying even in hindsight you think we should have not called up Meadows and played Frazier more in CF?  :o

Dmetz, I believe Dog was addressing the extended time Rodriguez got in CF prior to the Meadows callup.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

49404859572D0 wrote: I am fine with Rodriguez on the roster, but he shouldn't be playing as much as he has.  It just so happens he is the back up CF and back up SS.  Maybe it was a bad time to give Mercer a rest?  I would have played Frazier more in CF or even moved Dickerson for a few games.  Rodriguez shouldn't be batting against so many righties like he has.  I'd much rather have Osuna or Frazier in the line up over Rodriguez even if it meant some shuffling.

You're having a bad morning with making sense to me.   Or I'm having a bad morning understanding you.    Frazier more in CF??   

The Meadows callup to play CF was like a huge, huge, HUGE success.   Are you saying even in hindsight you think we should have not called up Meadows and played Frazier more in CF?  :o

No, no, no...didn't Meadows played RF one game? And before Marte was put on the DL, Rodriguez played CF. Sorry for the confusion. In general, I would start Frazier over Rodriguez (2B too).
SteadyFreddy

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I’m not saying give up on Polanco yet I don’t want too but the bottom line is he can’t continue to keep hitting the way he currently is now without something being done about it sooner rather then later. Whether that something is benching him or sending him to AAA if Meadows keeps doing what he is doing now then a message of some sort has to be sent to Polanco. Meadows deserves to play now and should play. Another thing as well kind of off topic Clint needs to stop playing Sean Rod so much especially against right handed pitching. Enough is enough. Just because he can play every position in the field doesn’t mean you have to play him every game.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Time for Polanco to sit

Is Polanco better than Bell right now? Or is benching Polanco easier because his back up (Meadows) is better than Bell's back up (Freese/Osuna)?

I don't see how you can send a message to Polanco and not Bell. Osuna should platoon, but Bell has been hitting lefties better this year (ave, obp, slg, ops).
INbuc

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by INbuc »

I finally got to see a couple games this week and hope to see the some of the games this weekend. What I saw seem to confirm what I thought: teams want to pitch both Polanco and Bell up high. I have always thought they were susceptible to high pitches and they both can’t seem to lay off them. It was very apparent Bailey was working the upper zone against those two, certainly compared to the rest of the lineup. For those that are frequent viewers have you noticed the same thing?

Hopefully the coaches can identify this and work with Polanco and Bell through film study. Learn to lay off the high pitches, better control the pitch count, and shrink the strike zone. For most players, high pitches are difficult to square up, and more difficult to drive even if you do. Watch tonight and see how they are pitched to.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Time for Polanco to sit

61664A5D4B280 wrote: I finally got to see a couple games this week and hope to see the some of the games this weekend.   What I saw seem to confirm what I thought:  teams want to pitch both Polanco and Bell up high.   I have always thought they were susceptible to high pitches and they both can’t seem to lay off them.    It was very apparent Bailey was working the upper zone against those two, certainly compared to the rest of the lineup.   For those that are frequent viewers have you noticed the same thing?

Hopefully the coaches can identify this and work with Polanco and Bell through film study.  Learn to lay off the high pitches, better control the pitch count, and shrink the strike zone.  For most players, high pitches are difficult to square up, and more difficult to drive even if you do.    Watch tonight and see how they are pitched to. 

Interesting, INbuc. I will watch for this for sure. Good insight. Polanco would need a quicker swing to hit the high ones.
ScottinMass

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by ScottinMass »

59525A565352490C0A7D445C555252135E523D0 wrote: I finally got to see a couple games this week and hope to see the some of the games this weekend.   What I saw seem to confirm what I thought:  teams want to pitch both Polanco and Bell up high.   I have always thought they were susceptible to high pitches and they both can’t seem to lay off them.    It was very apparent Bailey was working the upper zone against those two, certainly compared to the rest of the lineup.   For those that are frequent viewers have you noticed the same thing?

Hopefully the coaches can identify this and work with Polanco and Bell through film study.  Learn to lay off the high pitches, better control the pitch count, and shrink the strike zone.  For most players, high pitches are difficult to square up, and more difficult to drive even if you do.    Watch tonight and see how they are pitched to. 

Interesting, INbuc.  I will watch for this for sure.  Good insight.  Polanco would need a quicker swing to hit the high ones. 

Dickerson swings at more high pitches than either of those (in my opinion)
SammyKhalifa

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Maybe someone can make or sense of this than me:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_profile ... &s_type=13
INbuc

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by INbuc »

6959554E4E5354775B49493A0 wrote: I finally got to see a couple games this week and hope to see the some of the games this weekend.   What I saw seem to confirm what I thought:  teams want to pitch both Polanco and Bell up high.   I have always thought they were susceptible to high pitches and they both can’t seem to lay off them.    It was very apparent Bailey was working the upper zone against those two, certainly compared to the rest of the lineup.   For those that are frequent viewers have you noticed the same thing?

Interesting, INbuc.  I will watch for this for sure.  Good insight.  Polanco would need a quicker swing to hit the high ones. 

Dickerson swings at more high pitches than either of those (in my opinion)

Perhaps he does--but perhaps he handles them better.  Moran homered on a pitch at his head the other day.  When I was in high school I tried switch- hitting.  I actually did ok hitting left handed except for high pitches--I didn't have the dexterity and hand-eye coordination on those high pitches.  I am reminded of those days every time I see Bell swing at pitches up in the zone.  He hits some, but that is definitely not his sweet spot. 
Wrathchild

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by Wrathchild »

03313D3D291B38313C393631500 wrote: Maybe someone can make or sense of this than me:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_profile ... &s_type=13

The chart shows that Polanco is worked outside and low. You can change the relevant date from his whole professional career to other ranges, but it looks as if that's been how he's continued to be worked. He propably isn't highly successful against high pitches as was suggested but the danger of missing high in the zone is much greater than low in the zone, so that doesn't appear to be how people try to get him out.