I'd consider moving Corey Dickerson for a good SP

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Post by notes34 »

735E53424554430300310 wrote: I just keep thinking about how this is by far his best season of his career, and that last season he had a pretty steep dropoff the second half.  I hope it isn't the case but he might be at the height of his power right now.
Actually, he'll have to top his 2014 season for it to be the best.

Yeah he's been pretty good. We were gifted a very good player. Not sure why we would give up that value. Unless someone offers a stupid good return.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... co01.shtml

Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: I'm sure they could get a return for Dickerson. But at what point do their players become part of a contending Pirate team instead of a trading chip? It goes back to NH's confusing messages before the season when he said they were rebuilding, but not really rebuilding, that the odds weren't good but they could possibly contend. The young starting pitchers certainly have the look of a rebuilding team. Letting Bell hit 4th everyday and bumping better players for Polanco has the look of a rebuilding team just trying to develop players at the MLB level rather than focusing on winning.

But if they're going to contend, one good pitcher that they could get for Dickerson probably wouldn't have as much impact as Dickerson playing every day (or at least 3 of every 4  days so the .210 hitter can also play). I'm tired and suspicious of so many players being traded over the years in exchange for guys who are supposed to add to the team's talent only to see the team tread water until the acquired guys suffer the same fate and become the next trading chip for the next future star who will in term become the next trading chip for the next future star, etc, etc. It seems TBMTIB has hitched its wagon to these young starters. Kingham, Glasnow and Keller could also be in the mix. I'm not even sure team mgt knows what direction they want to take. But they better figure it out before they trade significant players.   
--

It's called kicking the can down the road. Promise a future tht never gets here.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

This season is proving that its not so easy to put together a great bullpen.
Quail

Post by Quail »

A recent article in The Athletic ranked the top 150 starting pitchers based on their projected performance for this season.

Here's a list of those who ranked ahead of Jameson Taillon (No. 31 on the list) in order of their rank:

Chris Sale

Max Scherzer

Corey Kluber

Jacob deGrom

Luis Severino

Stephen Strasburg

Noah Syndergaard

Justin Verlander

James Paxton

Gerrit Cole

Aaron Nola

Clayton Kershaw

Zack Greinke

Carlos Carrasco

Blake Snell

Madison Bumgarner

Walker Buehler

Charlie Morton

Shohei Ohtani

Trevor Bauer

Miles Mikolas

Lance McCullers Jr.

Chris Archer

I think you'd need at least a pitcher of the quality of those listed above to have a significant impact on the Pirates 2018 season and beyond. Does anyone think that Dickerson as a centerpiece of a trade package would bring back one of those guys? If not (and I sure don't) why bother weakening your lineup for something less?
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7C4E42425664474E4346494E2F0 wrote: Besides, what does Dickerson bring in terms of a pitching prospect coming back? 

well that's the question.  if it's as you say of course I wouldn't do it.

That is exactly what he brings. He isn't bringing a MLB ready arm. Not a chance.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

0B2F3B33365A0 wrote: A recent article in The Athletic ranked the top 150 starting pitchers based on their projected performance for this season.

Here's a list of those who ranked ahead of Jameson Taillon (No. 31 on the list) in order of their rank:

Chris Sale

Max Scherzer

Corey Kluber

Jacob deGrom

Luis Severino

Stephen Strasburg

Noah Syndergaard

Justin Verlander

James Paxton

Gerrit Cole

Aaron Nola

Clayton Kershaw

Zack Greinke

Carlos Carrasco

Blake Snell

Madison Bumgarner

Walker Buehler

Charlie Morton

Shohei Ohtani

Trevor Bauer

Miles Mikolas

Lance McCullers Jr.

Chris Archer

I think you'd need at least a pitcher of the quality of those listed above to have a significant impact on the Pirates 2018 season and beyond. Does anyone think that Dickerson as a centerpiece of a trade package would bring back one of those guys? If not (and I sure don't) why bother weakening your lineup for something less?
It's laughable that NH would know a top of the line pitcher if he met him, he got lucky getting Dickerson and I wouldn't bet on him getting lucky again. The old saying even a blind hog finds a acorn every now and then, applies here. I say no way, it's about 90% we'd get the raw end of the deal. My goodness he just gave away one of the best pitchers in the game.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

485052555542535449485E3B0 wrote: A recent article in The Athletic ranked the top 150 starting pitchers based on their projected performance for this season.

Chris Sale

Max Scherzer

Corey Kluber

Jacob deGrom

Luis Severino

Stephen Strasburg

Noah Syndergaard

Justin Verlander

James Paxton

Gerrit Cole

Aaron Nola

Clayton Kershaw

Zack Greinke

Carlos Carrasco

Blake Snell

Madison Bumgarner

Walker Buehler

Charlie Morton

Shohei Ohtani

Trevor Bauer

Miles Mikolas

Lance McCullers Jr.

Chris Archer

It's laughable that NH would know a top of the line pitcher if he met him, he got lucky getting Dickerson and I wouldn't bet on him getting lucky again.  The old saying even a blind hog finds a acorn every now and then, applies here.   I say no way, it's about 90% we'd get the raw end of the deal.  My goodness he just gave away one of the best pitchers in the game.

It’s “blind squirrel”, the old saying. ;)
rucker59@gmail.com

If Dickerson could return a major league arm that would improve the team I’d probably do it. But like most posters on this thread, I don’t see any chance of that happening. I definitely would NOT trade him for another Nondescript 4/5 guy that we already have an entire roster of.

It’s so disappointing to watch this pitching staff fail game after game. Somebody needs to figure out Tallion’s “problem”. The Pirates desperately need him to much better.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2324323A3423646811363C30383D7F323E3C510 wrote: If Dickerson could return a major league arm that would improve the team I’d probably do it.  But like most posters on this thread, I don’t see any chance of that happening.  I definitely would NOT trade him for another Nondescript 4/5 guy that we already have an entire roster of.

It’s so disappointing to watch this pitching staff fail game after game.  Somebody needs to figure out Tallion’s “problem”.  The Pirates desperately need him to much better.
Hopefully, someone other than another team.
rucker59@gmail.com

604D40515647501013220 wrote: If Dickerson could return a major league arm that would improve the team I’d probably do it.  But like most posters on this thread, I don’t see any chance of that happening.  I definitely would NOT trade him for another Nondescript 4/5 guy that we already have an entire roster of.

It’s so disappointing to watch this pitching staff fail game after game.  Somebody needs to figure out Tallion’s “problem”.  The Pirates desperately need him to much better.
Hopefully, someone other than another team.

Sadly, that’s not a joke, it’s the truth. 

I’ve definitely lost confidence in Pirate development AND  Philosophy. The “pitch to contact” stuff...who came up with this idea?  If it means anything other than “throw your best stuff” then we should rename it “pitch to kill career“.  I don’t know how the Pirates are using him, but I don’t want Tallion to become the best #4 in MLB because of some pitching Philosophy.  What a waste of this young man’s talent.

To take this back to Dickerson: the Pirates have a lot of death in the rotation but they don’t have much high-end talent. Trading for middling pitchers has got to be crossed off Neal’s list of options. He needs to acquire a couple high end guys and I don’t see Dickerson doing that.

Marte however....

Would Neal trade Marte for a legit high end guy?