Draft Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

Draft Thread

Post by INbuc »

Gunnar Hogland, RH pitcher is the Bucs 2nd pick. These are the stats of the night...maybe the entire draft: 47 innings pitched, 107 Ks and 0 (ZERO) walks! He is committed to Ole Miss.
SCBucco

Draft Thread

Post by SCBucco »

4B4C607761020 wrote: Gunnar Hogland, RH pitcher is the Bucs 2nd pick.  These are the stats of the night...maybe the entire draft:  47 innings pitched, 107 Ks and 0 (ZERO) walks!  He is committed to Ole Miss.

I believe that was going into his last start, where he walked two.

He was supposed to go quite a bit later. I can't stand going after a second high school arm like we did in round 2.
dmetz

Draft Thread

Post by dmetz »

Maybe he will move fast?  Fastball is 90+, walked 2 batters.  Ray Searage is salavating j/k.

I saw we took two HS pitchers in the top 2 rounds? Oh well. Have to wait at least 5 years if not longer.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Draft Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

626B63727C060 wrote: Maybe he will move fast?  Fastball is 90+, walked 2 batters.  Ray Searage is salavating j/k.

I saw we took two HS pitchers in the top 2 rounds? Oh well.  Have to wait at least 5 years  if not longer.

The Draft is very deep with high school pitchers. I expect more to be drafted. I do like they drafted a bat at #10 and he was invited to be there.
SCBucco

Draft Thread

Post by SCBucco »

69606879770D0 wrote: Maybe he will move fast?  Fastball is 90+, walked 2 batters.  Ray Searage is salavating j/k.

I saw we took two HS pitchers in the top 2 rounds? Oh well.  Have to wait at least 5 years  if not longer.

That is the thing. We are in dire need of arms for the rotation at the major league level. We don't have too many good ones in the system IMO; so draft a high school kid that will take longer to develop? At least one 1-1, but don't take two prep arms.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Draft Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Baseball drafts aren't based on major league need. The best player should be taken. Unlike every other sport, drafted players are years away due to the minor league process. Of course, there are some exceptions but those players are elite. This draft and the past few drafts didn't have any of those players.
dmetz

Draft Thread

Post by dmetz »

Yeah a college hitter named Swaggerty? Great name!
INbuc

Draft Thread

Post by INbuc »

1000013620202C430 wrote: Maybe he will move fast?  Fastball is 90+, walked 2 batters.  Ray Searage is salavating j/k.

That is the thing.  We are in dire need of arms for the rotation at the major league level.  We don't have too many good ones in the system IMO; so draft a high school kid that will take longer to develop?  At least one 1-1, but don't take two prep arms.

Like some other teams, the Bucs really like to string out their draft pick's minor league time.  The extra seasoning probably does help in many cases. 

It could also be argued teams would rather have six years of major league control starting at age 23 or 24 rather than 21.  If Mitch Keller, who has performed quite well, is still in AA starting his 5th year in the organization, it would seem it will take a real change in philosophy to expect members of this year's draft class to advance any faster. :-/
SammyKhalifa

Draft Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1C0C0D3A2C2C204F0 wrote: Maybe he will move fast?  Fastball is 90+, walked 2 batters.  Ray Searage is salavating j/k.

That is the thing.  We are in dire need of arms for the rotation at the major league level.  We don't have too many good ones in the system IMO; so draft a high school kid that will take longer to develop?  At least one 1-1, but don't take two prep arms.

I mean, yeah we need better rotation pieces now but I would hope that doesn't sway the guys they pick for the future. I know that HS pitchers are about as unpredictable as draft prospects go and I'm not saying they're right on these guys, who knows. To me position players are more interesting to read about, so I like those, of course like you say the pitchers are probably actually more important.
OrlandoMerced

Draft Thread

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'd say the draft went well for them. Swaggerty looks like a prototypical top of the order bat, the type of player that has been extremely elusive for this organization. Then adding two prep pitchers with the subsequent picks. And if you have been paying attention to this team's drafting in recent years, you can probably assume at least one of these two guys becomes a legit prospect.