Power

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Power

Post by Bobster21 »

5E6C60607446656C61646B6C0D0 wrote: The bench power has been impressive.  They have 12 HRs (six players).  Frazier just hit his first as a regular.  There have been a some random spot starts that the bench has hit a HR. 

Rodriguez has 3 in 51 at bats

Freese has 3 in 48 at bats

Diaz has 2 in 39 at bats

Moroff has 1 in 24 at bats

Osuna has 1 in 4 at bats

Frazier has 2 in 96 at bats (not sure how many at bats as a pure back up player)

This offense would really be cranking right now if Frazier would be a little more productive.

He's coming around. Slow start but since 4/26, he's 12 for 36 (.333).
johnfluharty

Power

Post by johnfluharty »

0B03001701010D620 wrote: As I watched yesterday and got a close up of Cervelli, I thought he looked noticeably more fit in his face and body.  I hope that is a piece of his hitting because I would think that would make this more sustainable.  I haven't seen any articles on it so maybe I didn't see what I thought I saw but I thought his face looked thinner and his upper body a bit less stout. 

He dramatically changed his winter diet and workout routine directly due to his injury plagued 2017 and came into this season much more fit and athletic, so you did not imagine it.

MaineBucs

Power

Post by MaineBucs »

Cervelli's power is a welcome addition, as is his speed on the bases. He hustled a double out of the box in yesterday's game on a ball/hit that many would have simply accepted as being a single.

I admire his hustle and better all-around play, but I sure wish that Clint would use Diaz at least twice a week and sometimes three times a week to help keep Cervelli at the top of his game.
dmetz

Power

Post by dmetz »

656E666A6F6E753036417860696E6E2F626E010 wrote: Do people still think the Pirates will be second to last (to the Marlins) in HRs this year?  Or in the bottom five of runs scored?

The team home runs were discussed here ("Martinez to Boston" thread) with a few posters projecting HR numbers.  I am still sticking to my prediction that the Marlins will be last.

Yes, my expectation remains bottom 5 in NL in runs scored.   The offensive numbers remain buoyed by an incredible start.   Ive seen long stretches of the kind of offensive incompetence I expect overall.

The team numbers are heading down pretty fast. I don't recall making a prediction on overall HRs. The Marlins are a layup to be last, I think. Barring some crazy breakout, they should be last easily
dmetz

Power

Post by dmetz »

I cannot imagine that 4-5 months of fitness and diet over 30yrs old, would make much of a difference in hitting, let alone have someone go from a slap hitter to a 25HR threat.    There are dozens of "he's in the best shape of his life" stories around baseball each year and I can't think of any that have made any real difference over the long haul.

It's curious what he's doing at his age, but much welcome.  I'll leave it at curious ;)

rucker59@gmail.com

Power

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7A7F787E767C657871626469100 wrote: As I watched yesterday and got a close up of Cervelli, I thought he looked noticeably more fit in his face and body.  I hope that is a piece of his hitting because I would think that would make this more sustainable.  I haven't seen any articles on it so maybe I didn't see what I thought I saw but I thought his face looked thinner and his upper body a bit less stout. 

He dramatically changed his winter diet and workout routine directly due to his injury plagued 2017 and came into this season much more fit and athletic, so you did not imagine it.

Is his swing different? I think I heard his leg kick is a new addition this year?
Kovalwat

Power

Post by Kovalwat »

While they are hitting HR's at a good pace, the league tends to value power hitters. Therefore, anyone who is hitting a lot of HR's is subject to being salary dumped at the trade deadline.
Quail

Power

Post by Quail »

5B50585451504B0E087F465E575050115C503F0 wrote: The bench power has been impressive.  They have 12 HRs (six players).  Frazier just hit his first as a regular.  There have been a some random spot starts that the bench has hit a HR. 

Rodriguez has 3 in 51 at bats

Freese has 3 in 48 at bats

Diaz has 2 in 39 at bats

Moroff has 1 in 24 at bats

Osuna has 1 in 4 at bats

Frazier has 2 in 96 at bats (not sure how many at bats as a pure back up player)

The bench bats (excluding Frazier) are averaging a home run in just over every 16 at bats, which is literally Hank Aaron-like. The rest of the team is producing a home run in just over 36 at bats which is Rob Mackowiak level.

While I think our bench players are decent enough I don't think their current rate of production is sustainable. The rest of the lineup may or may not be better than what they've shown so far, but I don't believe when the season is over that anyone will be confusing this group with the Bucco Lumber Company of the 70's.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Power

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I wasn't comparing this team to the Lumber Co. Just pointing out that when a bench player gets a random start, they have been productive. Especially, in the HR department.

The team pinch hitting has to be one of the worst in all of baseball. They were batting around .145 as a team in that category.
Bobster21

Power

Post by Bobster21 »

4F444C4045445F1A1C6B524A4344440548442B0 wrote: I wasn't comparing this team to the Lumber Co.  Just pointing out that when a bench player gets a random start, they have been productive.  Especially, in the HR department.

The team pinch hitting has to be one of the worst in all of baseball.  They were batting around .145 as a team in that category.
This is a good bench, which is why we don't see much criticism of Hurdle for who he plays. There's not much drop off when a starter gets a day off.