How a real GM reacts to poor performance

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

293E333737333931695A0 wrote: unfortunately, im not sure a good GM candidate would come in with the current owner and his penny pinching.
I'm sure there are excellent potential GM's out there, but I don't think this owner has any idea about baseball. If we would have some criteria and looked for a man with a record of winning and not accepting losing. I think we could find a great GM if we really want to win, it might be hard to keep him but should be able to find one. This is where the city needs to get involved and help this owner find the right man, it could bring lots of revenue to the City if we were winning. I'm so tired of just accepting this crap. Fire NH and CH, yesterday would not be soon enough.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

624F42535445521211200 wrote: Well, that's how a winner talks.   He doesn't belittle the fans griping by saying things like "this isn't fantasy baseball" or utter nonsense like "we would love to be in a position to add in July for the 8th consecutive year"

Talking like a winner doesn't make a GM good (actions > Words), but it's surely preferable to talking like a loser, with low goalposts and incoherent defenses of status quo.

No one was added to the MLB roster in July 2014 so he must have meant August that year. At the time of the first addition on 8/3 the Pirates were just 2.5 games out of 1st place. Here's who was added in August 2014:

Unemployed utility infielder Jayson Nix was signed as a free agent (8/3).

Struggling reliever John Axford was picked up when Cleveland waived him (8/14).

Minor league reliever Bobby LaFromboise was picked up when SD waived him out of their system (8/24).

These additions somehow did not propel the Pirates to capture the division and they had to face Bumgarner in the WC game. Good job, Neal.

Yes but Bobster, he didn't say that he DID add for 8 consecutive years... only that they would love to be IN POSITION to add in July for the 8th consecutive year.

You can't say he's lying, because only he knows what HE considers to be "in position to add" and that's his measuring stick.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

"In a position to add" probably means reclining in a chair with a phone nearby. ;)