Polanco -- A Distressed Asset

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Since Polanco had that encouraging 3-hit game on 5/31, he's gone 2 for 14 (.143). He's not fixed.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: Since Polanco had that encouraging 3-hit game on 5/31, he's gone 2 for 14 (.143). He's not fixed.
No he is not. The swing is still as long as ever. It will never be consistent. The only time he sustained a compact swing for any length of time was in 2016.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

5D786B7E62696263666E0A0 wrote: Josh Bell should immediately be switched with Osuna.

It's time we play our best young firstbaseman and stop this insanity.  Let Bell figure this out on his own time, we've had enough.  He's not even close

He can't hit and his defense almost cost us again in the 9th. 

Josh Bell laughs as he attempts to swat this collective board off his jock.

I think you have an appeal to authority problem, wrathchild.   Cant criticize Polanco, can criticize Bell.    A career .770 OPS 1st baseman now, in 900+ plate appearances lol

Keep beeing a good org soldier buddy. Whatever works for you

Appeal to authority problem? [highlight] No, I simply think it’s absurd that every other post is about Polanco’s failures while nobody wants to say anything about Bell who is still performing even worse than Polanco.
[/highlight]

Polanco's replacement it here and on the roster. Maybe that is why he is the whipping boy????
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I've been thinking that they might be open to dumping any of Polanco, Marte, and Cervelli at the deadline. If so, it makes sense to keep Polanco in the lineup to see if he can get something going. I've thought ever since the NH-Hurdle extensions that we're probably in a full rebuild, and that management may have been crossing its fingers that this fast start would end in time for them to offload some salaries.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

27th in Payroll according to USA TODAY and almost 50 million under the MLB average team payroll, and this is in a year with a bunch of tanking teams.

There's no need to offload salaries, rather they need to obtain talent. They should be sending players with money stuffed into their pockets if it returns bonafide talent
BenM

Post by BenM »

7A737B6A641E0 wrote: 27th in Payroll according to USA TODAY and almost 50 million under the MLB average team payroll, and this is in a year with a bunch of tanking teams. 

There's no need to offload salaries, rather they need to obtain talent.  They should be sending players with money stuffed into their pockets if it returns bonafide talent

I agree with this. At some point ownership needs to act like they can afford a major league payroll.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

6E4942612C0 wrote: 27th in Payroll according to USA TODAY and almost 50 million under the MLB average team payroll, and this is in a year with a bunch of tanking teams. 

There's no need to offload salaries, rather they need to obtain talent.  They should be sending players with money stuffed into their pockets if it returns bonafide talent

I agree with this. At some point ownership needs to act like they can afford a major league payroll.

Yep, they need to acquire talent for sure. Some of it still in the development stage, some of it in the almost ready for MLB and some that are already MLB capable and not some scrub that someone else does not want. That will take money which I can't figure out where it will come from. It has been my understanding since college econ 50 yrs ago that you need to spend money to make money! I guess that is not true when your money is inherited money!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

1B3C3714590 wrote: 27th in Payroll according to USA TODAY and almost 50 million under the MLB average team payroll, and this is in a year with a bunch of tanking teams. 

How good is this team at judging talent? Polanco and Bell were supposed to be good. They were surprised by Cutch's decline (fans were too but we don't see the inside info). We have bullpen arms that are getting lit up regularly. Starters that look average at best.

Can the team judge talent but just not afford to pay for it? Or is it below average in judging talent? Meadows looks good but then Polanco and Bell looked good early on too.

RichD

Post by RichD »

Polanco just needs to go to YouTube and watch how the best ever left handed hitter did it. Step away from the plate  .Choke up on the bat . Just learn how to crush the inside pitch with a short stroke. After you have done that for a bit they will start pitching you outside where you can extend ....In your wheelhouse so to speak. ::)

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

He adjusted his stance. He is further away from the plate his last few games.