Drive to 95 (loses unfortunately)

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

64747542545458370 wrote: in AAA, Holmes was 3.39 ERA 1.4 WHIP in 12 starts.  and that's with a 0.1 HR/9!  number need to be much better than that not giving up any homers.      his walk rates are too high in the minors year over year.   

I would prefer we not waste innings on Holmes as a starter, if possible.   I don't see any possibility that he can be a ML starter.  Possible bullpen arm.    likely organizational fodder.

Glasnow?  He needs to stay in the bullpen for a long time, I think pretty likely forever.  He may have a career there, or may not.     

The problem is its hard to find replacements for two starters on the DL in this organization, let alone one.  We have few options here.  Our last two call ups - Smoker and Lithuanian kid aren't MLB pitchers.  There has to be a drastic change in the way thing are done in order to be competitive.  There aren't any answers and if Keller isn't by next year, then ...
The #1 change would have to be a commitment to being competitive, which has been sadly lacking. Of course they'd rather win than not win. But it isn't a priority. The priority seems to be to keep the fans as interested as necessary to turn a profit. But since they won't spend to obtain or retain productive players, the carrot dangled in front of the fans is the promise of an exciting future with highly touted prospects. Even when some of the prospects pan out (which isn't nearly often enough for a team that relies so heavily on that means of obtaining talent) the team refrains from spending to supplement the core with productive players to build a complete team. So it's not as if they are striving hard to build a competitive team and falling short due to flawed methods. They just aren't really trying all that hard.

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

614C41505746511112230 wrote: Glasnow was no more good after hitting his first batter. His psyche seems pretty fragile anyway and that finished him for the night.

I'm also a Moroff fan. Last year I attended the final 2 games of the season in DC. Moroff went 3 for 5 with 4 walks, a 2B, a 3B and 7 RBIs. That was pretty impressive.
Unfortunately that was probably the best thing he could have done but then he was crushed that he hurt someone. The Dodgers had been swinging from the heels all series and they needed to be made uncomfortable but alias our coaching staff couldn't see that, they should have went out and encouraged Glasnow to pitch in tight and if you hit another batter tough, we need to quit being the dodgers punching bag. Also I noticed the one batter I watched him pitched to after he hit Turner he threw 2 strikes well inside the strike zone but got called balls and of course the guy walked. Why can't we get the electronic strike zone in MLB, so stupid, especially when you see how many missed calls on the bases. I couldn't watch anymore.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

745954454253440407360 wrote: in AAA, Holmes was 3.39 ERA 1.4 WHIP in 12 starts.  and that's with a 0.1 HR/9!  number need to be much better than that not giving up any homers.      his walk rates are too high in the minors year over year.   

I would prefer we not waste innings on Holmes as a starter, if possible.   I don't see any possibility that he can be a ML starter.  Possible bullpen arm.    likely organizational fodder.

Glasnow?  He needs to stay in the bullpen for a long time, I think pretty likely forever.  He may have a career there, or may not.     

The problem is its hard to find replacements for two starters on the DL in this organization, let alone one.  We have few options here.  Our last two call ups - Smoker and Lithuanian kid aren't MLB pitchers.  There has to be a drastic change in the way thing are done in order to be competitive.  There aren't any answers and if Keller isn't by next year, then ...
The #1 change would have to be a commitment to being competitive, which has been sadly lacking. Of course they'd rather win than not win. But it isn't a priority. The priority seems to be to keep the fans as interested as necessary to turn a profit. But since they won't spend to obtain or retain productive players, the carrot dangled in front of the fans is the promise of an exciting future with highly touted prospects. Even when some of the prospects pan out (which isn't nearly often enough for a team that relies so heavily on that means of obtaining talent) the team refrains from spending to supplement the core with productive players to build a complete team. So it's not as if they are striving hard to build a competitive team and falling short due to flawed methods. They just aren't really trying all that hard.

I don't disagree with you at all. This is all valid. I think its funny that they are telling fans they better show up if they want them to spend money threatening to lower the payroll more if that doesn't happen ... however in that 98-win season, when the fans showed up in record volumes, there was no spending/add/commitment that following year.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

And that is, far and away, my single biggest gripe with Pirates management.

When the team won 98 games in 2015 and fans flocked to the stadium in record numbers, the front office did NOTHING to improve the team and at least attempt to take it to the next level.

They missed out on a golden opportunity to do something special ... and, sadly, they did it intentionally.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

What additions could they have made after the 2015 season that would have made up for Liriano and McCutchen falling off cliffs and Cole and Cervelli not being able to stay on the field?

It seems like the general consensus is to rake them over the coals for the 2015 offseason. If they had signed Happ, kept Walker and signed someone better than Jaso at 1B?

Here are the FA's from that period let me know what they should have done that would have changed their current prospects.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leag ... ents.shtml

Essentially the Pirates put their trust in Polanco and by signing Jaso as a stopgap at 1B in Bell. It obviously hasn't worked out, but considering what those guys were doing, I don't think it was the wrong plan at the time.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5E637D707F757E5C7463727475110 wrote: What additions could they have made after the 2015 season that would have made up for Liriano and McCutchen falling off cliffs and Cole and Cervelli not being able to stay on the field?

It seems like the general consensus is to rake them over the coals for the 2015 offseason. If they had signed Happ, kept Walker and signed someone better than Jaso at 1B?

http://onlybucs.net/board/cgi-bin/onlyb ... =PostReply

Here are the FA's from that period let me know what they should have done that would have changed their current prospects.

Essentially the Pirates put their trust in Polanco and by signing Jaso as a stopgap at 1B in Bell. It obviously hasn't worked out, but considering what those guys were doing, I don't think it was the wrong plan at the time.

They needed to do something with the pitching. Losing both Burnett and Happ (and counting on Locke Niese and Vogelsong) was making too many gambles going into 2016. That doesn't mean that 2016 would have been a better year because of Liriano and Cutch but at least it would have looked like they were trying and were victims of bad breaks rather than conservative actions.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Not sure I can get on board with that, it sounds like they should have just made symbolic moves.

But I do think that a case can be made that they should have been more willing to deal guys like Bell and Glasnow at the deadlines in those years to add a major piece for the playoffs.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

I think Polanco may be the next Cole. He's big and powerful but just isn't getting it done, and I blame coaching and the same could be said about Bell. Just think this manager and coaching is just so bad. I really like LA's manager, he is young enough and seems very baseball smart, to bad we don't have someone like this. They always seems to have these guys come out of no where performing way better than projection. That's the kind of manager this teams needs a man who can get the most out of what he's got to work with. I know he's got some big name but he's got a bunch of guys I never heard of and they are tearing it up.

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I'm OK letting the bygones be bygones. I think the management team sucks and have proven that they do beyond much doubt. Whether or not any of us agree or disagree with that is sort of immaterial.

What are they going to do now, in the next 26 days? I definitely think should jettison a minimum of 5 position players and 1 pitcher. Possibly more.

Regardless of whose fault 2016, 2017 and 2018, we should probably get some new players or some new management, or perhaps both if all are at fault?

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I would like that they trade Marte, Freese, Harrison and Nova. They could dfa S Rod as well. I doubt that Hurdle’s job is in jeopardy since he has 3 and 1/2 years remaining on his contract. If they did remove him they could move him up to some front office gig. Huntington in my opinion is safe, and even if they would remove him probably Kyle Stark would become interim GM with the opportunity to prove he is a good replacement. So in other words same old same old.