Rooting against my team

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Rooting against my team

Post by SCBucco »

7551454D48240 wrote: I’m so angry at the current state of affairs of this organization that I’m actively rooting against the Pirates.  I’m curious if I’m alone in this viewpoint? 

I know this is over the top and I’m in the minority....but enough is enough.  I shouldn’t get this upset over a game, but it feels personal.  The arrogance of the front office, the lies, the whole thing.

I want nothing more than a World Series championship but this group will never ever accomplish that.  The more they lose, the greater (still ever so small) chance change happens. 

Go other team, go attendance issues, go 17 runs against!

I don't blame you for feeling this way. I guess it's just not in my DNA to actively root against the Pirates. I can't root against the players who've had no real part in corrupting what was once a proud and glorious franchise.

That is on Bob Nutting and his puppets Coonelly, Huntington and Hurdle. I'm angry at those men. Angry that TBMTIB, who for the sake of a paycheck grin, spin and dance in public at the end of their master's strings. I'm frustrated as hell that the team I've rooted for for more than 60 years is trapped in the clutches of a man who appears, it would seem, to have been conjured whole cloth from the pages of a Dickens novel as a modern day Scrooge. Heart broken that my team is apparently doomed to be relegated to the status of a perpetual Nutting family heirloom while becoming an irrelevancy in the sport itself.

So I'm actively rooting against Nutting. Hoping for something to happen that will force him to sell the Pirates. Desperately hoping. The fans of Pittsburgh deserve better, so much better than this, but so do the players who are also disadvantaged by lousy ownership, management, and coaching. Because of this when it comes game time I just can't root against those guys on the field who are wearing the Pirate uniforms. I just can't. 

can't argue with any of this. spot on. I saw this year coming in the offseason despite their pleas that they would field a competitive team. There are zero options on the farm relative to pitching. I'm up at our cottage in Canada, but saw the Lithuanian and Smoker has banner relief appearances in that 17-run Philly outing.
DemDog

Rooting against my team

Post by DemDog »

0521353D38540 wrote: I’m so angry at the current state of affairs of this organization that I’m actively rooting against the Pirates.  I’m curious if I’m alone in this viewpoint? 

I know this is over the top and I’m in the minority....but enough is enough.  I shouldn’t get this upset over a game, but it feels personal.  The arrogance of the front office, the lies, the whole thing.

I want nothing more than a World Series championship but this group will never ever accomplish that.  The more they lose, the greater (still ever so small) chance change happens. 

Go other team, go attendance issues, go 17 runs against!

I don't blame you for feeling this way. I guess it's just not in my DNA to actively root against the Pirates. I can't root against the players who've had no real part in corrupting what was once a proud and glorious franchise.

That is on Bob Nutting and his puppets Coonelly, Huntington and Hurdle. I'm angry at those men. Angry that TBMTIB, who for the sake of a paycheck grin, spin and dance in public at the end of their master's strings. I'm frustrated as hell that the team I've rooted for for more than 60 years is trapped in the clutches of a man who appears, it would seem, to have been conjured whole cloth from the pages of a Dickens novel as a modern day Scrooge. Heart broken that my team is apparently doomed to be relegated to the status of a perpetual Nutting family heirloom while becoming an irrelevancy in the sport itself.

So I'm actively rooting against Nutting. Hoping for something to happen that will force him to sell the Pirates. Desperately hoping. The fans of Pittsburgh deserve better, so much better than this, but so do the players who are also disadvantaged by lousy ownership, management, and coaching. Because of this when it comes game time I just can't root against those guys on the field who are wearing the Pirate uniforms. I just can't. 

Hey Quail, we both go back a long time as Bucco fans and I share your DNA about rooting against the team we both grew up watching and cheering for.

Like you though I have never, ever felt that I was being hustled or conned by ownership and management like TBMTIB. But I also feel bad for the players, especially the young guys who have some talent like Meadows who are being forced to suffer due to poor ownership and management.

I kinda feel good for this Hoglund kid who is moving past the Bucs and getting a great start on his education and perhaps increasing his stock by going to college to learn and to play ball. I find it hard that some of the kids they draft actually sign with this ball club because of their lying and conning ownership. What kind of future in baseball do they see.

I doubt that I will go to anymore games this season since it hurts too much to watch this team and my old heart will not take it much longer. Will still watch on tv where I can switch the channel if the game is going badly and of course I will still go to see the young kids in Morgantown. Oh, by the way, Swaggerty his his 1st HR last nite.

As hard as it is right now I will still wear my Pirate gear on a regular basis cause like you I have Bucco fever in my genes.
Bobster21

Rooting against my team

Post by Bobster21 »

I still try to watch every game and I couldn't root against them. But I see the silver lining in every loss, which is the ability to say, "Serves you right, Nutting, Coonelly, NH and Hurdle. You're getting exactly what you deserve."
rucker59@gmail.com

Rooting against my team

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

56717A59140 wrote: I am a Process Truster, a fan of the Sixers who went through some really dark seasons during their rebuild.

Not once did I root against them in an individual game. However, I did cheer moves that I knew would make the team worse in the short run (drafting guys who wouldn't play the next season, trading guys who were "OK" players but not good enough to contribute to a title contender etc.)

The Pirates are different. They aren't bad because management has plan to eventually get better, they're bad because the management team is bad. And with the contracts Nutting handed out in the off season, it might be bad for years.

So I'm not going to root against them. But I'll probably lose some interest in what they are doing, listen to fewer games etc. I suspect I won't be alone and Huntington will continue to scold people like me for not showing up.

This I can understand. Thinking about this topic the past day or two I realize maybe my feelings are not so cut and dry. I want the team to win in the worse way. I don’t like the Phillies beating Pittsburgh much less humiliating the team. And like possum I feel bad for guys like Tallion who I think has a ton of potential that will manage to get buried under this regime. I want him to be successful.

But thinking this through, I wonder if “a little success” does more harm then total failure. Anything that would force change at the ownership level I’m in favor of. If it takes 95 loses this year, 110 next year, and attendance dropping to 5000, if that would cause Nutting to sale or at least run the team differently, I’m in favor of the failure.
johnfluharty

Rooting against my team

Post by johnfluharty »

7473656D6374333F46616B676F6A2865696B060 wrote: I am a Process Truster, a fan of the Sixers who went through some really dark seasons during their rebuild.

Not once did I root against them in an individual game. However, I did cheer moves that I knew would make the team worse in the short run (drafting guys who wouldn't play the next season, trading guys who were "OK" players but not good enough to contribute to a title contender etc.)

The Pirates are different. They aren't bad because management has plan to eventually get better, they're bad because the management team is bad. And with the contracts Nutting handed out in the off season, it might be bad for years.

So I'm not going to root against them. But I'll probably lose some interest in what they are doing, listen to fewer games etc. I suspect I won't be alone and Huntington will continue to scold people like me for not showing up.

This I can understand.  Thinking about this topic the past day or two I realize maybe my feelings are not so cut and dry.  I want the team to win in the worse way. I don’t like the Phillies beating Pittsburgh much less humiliating the team.  And like possum I feel bad for guys like Tallion who I think has a ton of potential that will manage to get buried under  this regime. I want him to be successful.

But thinking this through, I wonder if “a little success” does more harm then total failure.  Anything that would force change at the ownership level I’m in favor of. If it takes 95 loses this year, 110 next year, and attendance dropping to 5000, if that would cause Nutting to sale or at least run the team differently, I’m in favor of the failure.

For me it comes down to this- how long will it take for Nutting to realize their plan does not work and change how they do things? We know the bottom line is more important to him, but I assume he is smart enough to realize winning would help his revenues. So, how long will it take to make a change? Four more years?